• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The GTR talent pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucko

Great news WDS that you're in mate, nice one.

Great news also that the recruitment drive is still alive and kicking.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

smerlin

congrats mate, Im waiting for Hitchin too and living in Luton also:) as for the other depots, they are actually opening on in ST Albans and luton i think? How long you been waiting mate:D

WDS2015

Great news WDS that you're in mate, nice one.

Great news also that the recruitment drive is still alive and kicking.

Thanks Bucko

Really excited to get started. Good luck to everyone still in the TP
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
congrats mate, Im waiting for Hitchin too and living in Luton also:) as for the other depots, they are actually opening on in ST Albans and luton i think? How long you been waiting mate:D

I've been in the TP 14 months

smerlin

O wow that is a while, just hit the 12month milestone myself, hopefully ill see you at Hitchin in the not so distant future:)

W230

Established Member
Was speaking to one of our managers the other day who said they're starting managers interview for the new 'south eastern' thameslink depots this week so sure there will be many more positions coming up, though obviously ones out Kent way!

Bucko

Hi All

Did anyone else on here - or know of any not on here - get a call up for Hitchin in Aug ?

rhysa85

Hi All

Did anyone else on here - or know of any not on here - get a call up for Hitchin in Aug ?

Bucko, I had my call up for Hitchin but it was at the start of June. Apart from WDS I haven't heard or seen of anyone else.

Spud

Spud,
My contract came through last Friday, my start date is now the 19th rather than 26th as initially told. Handing my notice in today.
Are you still the 26th Sept induction?

I'm starting 19th now too. Just handed my notice in - so all very real now!

Guess I'll be seeing you at Kentish Town :D

Andrewb73

I'm starting 19th now too. Just handed my notice in - so all very real now!

Guess I'll be seeing you at Kentish Town :D

21 working days left of my old job. Not that I'm counting or anything. :D

Just worked through the paperwork Trudy sent with the contract, just have the reference one to complete now. Should have that done over the weekend.
Going to drop the contract & associated paperwork in by hand on Monday, don't want any delays with it getting lost in the post.

Wonder why we were both told the 26th initially?

Anyway, better one week earlier.

Just starting to sink in now as well. :grin:

Here's to the new chapter in our careers.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Kentish town induction, the 2 most boring days you'll have in the company lol

Roll on Kentish Town
:D

Blur fan

Well, I thought I'd share the update with everyone on here.

I called up a few days ago and asked for an update on the Bedford courses. I was told that they are currently concentrating on the depots further south (Three Bridges etc) and that there are no plans for any Bedford courses until at least April next year.

She did also say it changes from meeting to meeting, but she seemed pretty certain.

I know it can all change just like that, but the goal posts have moved so wildly since I passed my medical that I can't help feeling like this opportunity is slipping away.

Does anyone in the know have anything to add? PM me if you prefer.

Still, lets keep positive we're still in the running!

Dave999

I've not heard anything at all, the waiting game continues. I don't think they (HR) know the plan either.

bILLOO

Well, I'm sure drivers will still be required for the northern depots so keep positive!

Dave999

Yep I agree! I'm still positive but I would feel better if they updated us every now and again.

RedZed

In what other industry could you advertise specific vacancies and yet not know when you need those vacancies filled, some two years later?

Dave999

In what other industry could you advertise specific vacancies and yet not know when you need those vacancies filled, some two years later?

A disorganised one on the back foot with trying to implement change.

ComUtoR

Established Member
A disorganised one on the back foot with trying to implement change.

Or a highly organised one who knows that they can use a talent pool to control applicants, course numbers, trainee distribution, cheaper pre-assessed candidates, and an ability to pick and choose at their leisure.

A talent pool is perfect for this kind of employment. With such a high volume of applicants, a glut of supply means the TOC is in a very good position to do whatever they want.

RedZed

Or a highly organised one who knows that they can use a talent pool to control applicants, course numbers, trainee distribution, cheaper pre-assessed candidates, and an ability to pick and choose at their leisure.

A talent pool is perfect for this kind of employment. With such a high volume of applicants, a glut of supply means the TOC is in a very good position to do whatever they want.

And yet this 'highly organised' organisation is unable to look at a Gannt chart and answer a simple question regarding a common theme that is being asked again and again. What is happening about the advertised vacancies for Bedford?

When I did my DMI I was asked a customer service question regarding a customer who asked me a question I didn't know the answer to. My response went along the lines of "If I didn't know the answer I would point them in the direction of the most likely suitable resource that was capable of answering their question Eg If I was asked something about timetables and I didn't know the answer then I would most likely point them in the direction of the booking office. I certainly wouldn't say 'Sorry I don't know', in fact my response would be more like 'Let me find out for you'.
Now I'm assuming that this was the response that they were looking for due to the fact that I passed the DMI, but I'm beginning to think that maybe I got that question wrong, as the the answer that I said I wouldn't give seems to be the stock response from GTR ie "I'm sorry I don't know".

There are a lot of applicants for whom this is the be all, end all for them and will do anything and put up with anything just to get their key and GTR as a potential employer surely must know this. As a more mature applicant (and I mean that in age terms and not a derogatory sense), I am fortunate that this is not something that I have set my heart on to the exclusion of everything else. I see the application as a two way process and not only identifies me to GTR as someone who may be worth employing, it also gives me a valuable insight into how I might fit in to this new working environment. So far it's not looking good. After the recruitment phase, I was 'assigned' an HR advisor 'who would be able to answer my questions regarding the recruitment process'. To date most of my specific questions have gone unanswered, and the rather generic questions about what is happening about Bedford is met with an equally generic and unhelpful response of "Sorry I don't know".
Whilst GTR are deciding whether to pick me from a cast of thousands, I'm equally deciding, due to the contemptuous attitude towards my interest in the application process if this the sort of company that I want to invest the remaining years of my life in. In a nutshell, if GTR can treat me with contempt as a potential applicant / customer - I have to ask myself, what are they like to work for?

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
I agree with everything you say.

I am not a fan of Talent Pools and see them for what they are. Sadly when I speak out I get knocked back by other posters. As someone who is in direct contact with DM's, Training School, Instructors etc I do see the issues and see what is happening on the ground. I have an email sitting in my inbox that directly gives info which has had an impact on recruitment but to post would make me a detractor and someone who posts in the negative so I have chosen not to.

Being in the talent pool means you have passed the process and can be given a position at any moment. That in itself, is a victory and puts you guys in a positive position over many other applicants. You have passed one of the hardest steps.

Yes its crap and yes its frustrating to wait potentially 2+ years but previously there wouldn't be any recruitment as they would only recruit where there was a vacancy to fill. The impact on the company was awful and at one point cost a Director their job. Now there is a talent pool and should serve to keep the number of candidates flowing into the role.

I personally don't like them and they are spreading.

Status
Not open for further replies.