• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The most stupid press article ever (regarding Glebe Way foot crossing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Just think of the number of road accidents...or near accidents...which involved a pedestrian blithely listening to music on headphones and totally unaware of events occurring around them.

A few years ago New York made it illegal to cross the roads while wearing headphone / using a mobile phone / similar device didn't they? That was for pretty much the same reason.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TailLight

For those interested here is the article by Kent Messenger which was promptly deleted earlier today.

ss_2015_11_02_at_01_34_50.jpg

4087665_84821_0_630.jpg

4087676_84820_0_630.jpg

4087677_84822_0_630.jpg

Whitstable's Glebe Way railway crossing must be kept open, say protestors
02 November 2015
by Chris Pragnell

[email protected]

Demonstrators have gathered at a notorious railway crossing where a teenage girl was recently killed – to demand that train operators keep it open.

Sacha Wheeler was knocked down by a train at Whitstable’s Glebe Way foot crossing as a London-bound train travelled through at 50mph.

An inquest heard that the 14-year-old had been listening to music on her headphones and was tragically unaware of the oncoming train as she crossed.

Campaigners want the Glebe Way Crossing kept open

Sacha’s devastated parents have called on Network Rail to close the crossing, but members of the community are campaigning against the proposal.

Around 20 local residents gathered at the site yesterday bearing placards. Co-organiser Chris Weller said: “We say do what they do in a lot of areas in this country where they have bells and lights.

“They have magnetic catches on the doors on the entrances of level crossings to stop people physically getting on to the tracks when a train is coming.

Sacha Wheeler was killed by a train

“We believe that with that sort of improvement that we can save lives and we can keep this crossing open for the people of the community.”

Network Rail revealed last month that it was to introduce a warning system at the crossing – where four people have died since 2010.

However, at a public consultation event held last week, the operator unveiled three longer-term options which involved closure of the foot crossing and possible installation of a bridge.

Mr Weller said: “We’re not against making this crossing safer – but we want to keep this crossing. “There’re 200 people that use this crossing every day – that’s 200 people that need this crossing to get to the other side of the tracks.

“And that’s 200 people that if it was closed or if they had to use step bridge may not be able to use it.

“That’s 200 people, some of them elderly, in wheelchairs or who have pushchairs or prams – that would be unable to use this crossing.”

Sasha’s parents have distanced themselves from the protest, having previously stated that the best way to ensure safety would be to close the crossing altogether.

Co-organiser Chris Weller (right)

Mr Weller said that the tragedy in February this year could have been avoided with a warning system.

“It was a tragic accident,” he said. “If there had been visual flashing lights at the time before she entered the level crossing I believe her life would have been saved.

“That is a small price that Network Rail should pay to keep our crossing open.”

Residents last week expressed anger at Network Rail’s proposed options.

Former Labour councillor Peter Halfpenny: “The only three options for discussion assumed the total closure of the crossing and its replacement by a bridge or in one case, a footpath leading to an existing bridge.

“It is clear that Network Rail have their own agenda for the future of the crossing, and that the consultation was really about trying lead us to accept an option which fits in with this agenda.

Residents gathered at the crossing

“It’s like being asked if we would rather have our left, or our right, arm cut off.”

Network Rail spokesman Dan Donovan admitted afterwards issues at the site were not easy to resolve.

“The constraints of the site mean that this will not be a simple exercise and we are currently exploring a number of options to replace the crossing.

“In the meantime, we are installing an additional audible warning system to help reduce risk at this crossing further.”

Mr Weller responded, suggesting the warning system would be enough.

“They say they’re going to put the lights up in December but why, if they’re going to modernise it and make it more safe, are they still looking to actually ultimately close the crossing?” he said.

“Those extra systems would be enough. If they’re going to do that and spend that money surely that’s doing everything that everybody needs and wants.”

Comments

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.
Please click here for our house rules.

Comments 32

02/11/2015 14:29:05
Wayne Tully wrote:
2015 Darwin Awards short list

+2
ReplyReport Abuse
02/11/2015 14:06:17
tony&gordy wrote:
200 lazy people want to keep a death trap open . "some of them elderly , in wheelchairs " , I wouldn't want to cross there in a wheelchair , even if motorised , in case it gets stuck .

IDIOTS

1 Reply
ReplyReport Abuse
02/11/2015 13:23:33
simon10 wrote:
Never rely on a timetable to know when the next train is passing. It is like crossing the road, but instead of looking, checking the local bus times. Many people have died from making this mistake.
+11
ReplyReport Abuse
02/11/2015 13:18:37
Ian Morris wrote:
One picture shows exactly why the Office of Rail Regulation and Network Rail are working towards the elimination of as many level crossings and foot crossings as possible: because no matter what they do, idiots will still misuse such crossings. What a great way to strengthen the case for closing the crossing!

+13
1 Reply
ReplyReport Abuse
02/11/2015 13:09:37
simon10 wrote:
Engineering works do not mean the lines are not in use, and it does not mean the traction current is switched off. There could be engineering or other stock movements. There is no way of knowing what might pass the crossing.

The photographer is also trespassing. The protesters are misusing the crossing, you are meant to cross sharply without hesitation.

This is not even a small line, but a main line with a linespeed of 50mph and in both directions.

If a train had approached at 50mph what would you have done? Why did the photographer cross the lattice and tresspass? Lucky he went into the cess instead of between the lines where he could have been electrocuted.

The whole culture of not understanding anything about railways is what causes deaths on and about the line.
+19
3 Replies
ReplyReport Abuse
02/11/2015 12:34:35
Bavin Foat wrote:
actually there werent any trains yesterday because of engineering works

3 Replies
ReplyReport Abuse
02/11/2015 12:20:25
Laurence Smith wrote:
How stupid are you people? If you want the crossing to stay open, DON'T MESS ABOUT ON IT! The photographer can be fined for trespassing on the railways as can you all! It is an access way not a photobooth!

+20
ReplyReport Abuse
02/11/2015 12:00:27
scholar wrote:
Protesters: "This crossing is perfectly safe if used appropriately."
KMOL: "That's great, if you could just line up on it for a photo."
Protesters: "No problemo."
Network Rail: *facepalm

+23
ReplyReport Abuse
02/11/2015 11:27:36
Martin Jukes wrote:
That's got to be the stupidest picture you have ever published KM. A highly dangerous and possibly fatal way to protest. You should remove it immediately

+35
1 Reply
ReplyReport Abuse
02/11/2015 10:30:16
YsoMuchStupid wrote:
Network rails 3 options consisted of 2 that are impossible to implament. I'd be ashamed if I took them to public consultation.

ReplyReport Abuse

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I read that "the 14-year-old had been listening to music on her headphones and was tragically unaware of the oncoming train as she crossed". No-one has made comment here on this aspect - often people (mostly young ones) go about in public with their senses diminished and attention distracted by portable gadgets - phones, tablets, music machines etc. I think there should be some instruction in school about how to use these things and conduct oneself with safety in public. A national campaign, no less.

I did make posting # 12 on this thread in relation to what can occur when headphone use of music occurs.

Yet on BBC Radio 4 early yesterday, some woman said to be an "expert" was saying how important it is to be able to do just that to cocoon oneself "in your own internal space" to enjoy music. "Beggars belief" does not adequately equate my feelings on that particular statement and during my telephone call to the BBC to complain, I cited what had occurred to the girl in the incident reported on this thread who was performing exactly what that "expert" on that programme had said.

Last edited:

David Dunning

Google cached version of the link still shows it and the video is here. A fantastic example to set..<(:roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbzGDX7wQDc

As a video journalist and a News Editor I can't believe what I am seeing here. I'm not surprised the paper has removed this from the website. I am saving all this for the next time I am doing training sessions. All I can say is if those pictures and video had come across my desk they would never have made it to the web.

TailLight

I did make posting # 12 on this thread in relation to what can occur when headphone use of music occurs.

Yet on BBC Radio 4 early yesterday, some woman said to be an "expert" was saying how important it is to be able to do just that to cocoon oneself "in your own internal space" to enjoy music. "Beggars belief" does not adequately equate my feelings on that particular statement and during my telephone call to the BBC to complain, I cited what had occurred to the girl in the incident reported on this thread who was performing exactly what that "expert" on that programme had said.

People (young females?) seem to think the world revolves around them. It doesn't, and trains take miles to stop. Look out for your own safety, be responsible for yourself.

I don't even know why Network Rail is bothering to spend all this money getting rid of level crossings. People are fools. The main issue is a car derailing the train and causing innocent deaths, but for those not bothered to look or listening to music or jumping the lights, I have no sympathy.

This crossing had 1 death. They call it a 'death crossing', yet the other 3 were suicides. So 3 people who deliberately killed themselves and one stupid person who got themselves killed due to their false sense of security provided by headphones.

Similar occurence in Russia:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4b2_1417449078

najaB

Veteran Member
Yet on BBC Radio 4 early yesterday, some woman said to be an "expert" was saying how important it is to be able to do just that to cocoon oneself "in your own internal space" to enjoy music.
I don't think there's any problem with cocooning yourself to enjoy music - on your sofa, or in the office, etc. The issue is when people try to turn the outside world into a safe space that it ain't.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't think there's any problem with cocooning yourself to enjoy music - on your sofa, or in the office, etc. The issue is when people try to turn the outside world into a safe space that it ain't.

There's nothing wrong with listening to music on the move. It just means that you have to take extra care looking around when crossing roads etc. To be honest, I find that cars can be so quiet on occasions that I wouldn't rely on hearing them anyway.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
A few years ago New York made it illegal to cross the roads while wearing headphone / using a mobile phone / similar device didn't they? That was for pretty much the same reason.

The US has jaywalking laws making it an offence to cross the road not at a crossing point and against "Don't Walk" signs. They still have a high rate of pedestrians hit by cars. Most pedestrians hit by cars, anywhere (including the UK) are on the footway/pavement/sidewalk.

NSEFAN

Established Member
My understanding was that such jaywalking laws are in place to try and reduce traffic jams caused by a run-over pedestrian, rather than the safety of pedestrians (although this is a nice bonus!). Happy to be corrected on that, though.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The US has jaywalking laws making it an offence to cross the road not at a crossing point and against "Don't Walk" signs. They still have a high rate of pedestrians hit by cars. Most pedestrians hit by cars, anywhere (including the UK) are on the footway/pavement/sidewalk.

A good reason not to take any lessons from our friends across the sea on road safety.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
My understanding was that such jaywalking laws are in place to try and reduce traffic jams caused by a run-over pedestrian, rather than the safety of pedestrians

Yep, pretty much. It was Ford and General Motors who lobbied for jaywalking laws in the 1910s and 1920s, mostly to overturn the previous principle that everyone had equal access to highways.

Townsend Hook

If it were me, I wouldn't be happy if the right of way disappeared, and from the point of view of a rail user I'd prefer money to be spent on eliminating AHB, open or user-worked crossings - which pose a greater danger in terms of their potential for a major accident to occur.

Four people have been killed at that crossing since 2010. That statistic alone would clearly demonstrate that there is a fairly great danger at this location, and so NR has to take drastic action.

BestWestern

Established Member
I'd very much like to see NR use this image as part of their ongoing safety campaigns, also writing to the paper concerned (and informing the public that they have done so). Idiots.

Senex

Established Member
Four people have been killed at that crossing since 2010. That statistic alone would clearly demonstrate that there is a fairly great danger at this location, and so NR has to take drastic action.

It also suggests that local families would be very much aware of the potential risks and would make sure their children were aware too -- and that would include not deliberately rendering yourself deaf to the outside world by wearing headphones and playing (loud?) music.

cornishjohn

How far back do these sorts of records go? Did the crossing suddenly become more dangerous in 2008-9 or so for some reason (and if so, what)? Warning devices seems the way to go. I know of similar crossings with a much more frequent service with fewer safety measures.

Townsend Hook

How far back do these sorts of records go? Did the crossing suddenly become more dangerous in 2008-9 or so for some reason (and if so, what)? Warning devices seems the way to go. I know of similar crossings with a much more frequent service with fewer safety measures.

Or even better, just remove the general public from the track altogether? Either by closing the crossing or installing a bridge or subway. Just because a proportion of the crossing's users are happy with just a warning system doesn't mean that Network Rail have to be. After all, it's not Joe Public who has to go and clear up the mess when people do get hit.

GWG beepbeep

I'm not sure if this idiotic idea was the papers or the protesters, but really, what were they thinking?! I've just created an account to add a few bits of information. The first 3 deaths were all suicides, which whilst horrible for all involved, don't really show the crossings safety. Sadly NR don't own enough land either side to allow for a footbridge or subway.

Radedamer

On wearing headphones while crossing the railway or a road, etc: what little research there is into this shows that headphones block out no more ambient sound than listening to a car radio with the windows closed. I don't see any calls to ban car radios.

najaB

Veteran Member
On wearing headphones while crossing the railway or a road, etc: what little research there is into this shows that headphones block out no more ambient sound than listening to a car radio with the windows closed. I don't see any calls to ban car radios.
Depends on the headphones. Some specifically tout noise isolation (or more extremely noise cancellation) as a selling point. Also, road level crossings are typically better protected (automatic barriers and/or lights) than foot crossings.

L&Y Robert

Yes - sorry Paul, I did read your posting but somehow missed the first bit. It must have lodged in my mind tho', and bubbled up a while later into my posting.

And another thing!
How can an inert artifact be dangerous? There is a TV programme about "The most dangerous roads in Britain", but I think "The road isn't dangerous - it just lies there being a road. It's not as if it's going to rear up and bite your leg off." Of course it's us - people - who are dangerous, driving along in air-conditioned comfort, the distraction equipment on at full volume, paying scant attention to the unfolding view ahead, yet all the time in charge of a ton or so of metal moving along at our casually selected speed. There are videos on U-tube of people behaving dangerously at level crossings. It isn't the crossing that's dangerous, it's the people. Anything is dangerous if you mis-treat it, power outlets say, canal banks, station platforms, pylons, roads, level crossings. Human beings are dangerous!

neilmc

Whilst the protest was not exactly safe, a level crossing is a public right of way so how exactly should these people be prosecuted? Really fed up of how railway companies and its employees and maybe even enthusiasts are promoting paranoia about what is perfectly safe, convenient and inexpensive if one uses awareness and common sense as trains don't follow buffer-to-buffer with pedestrians having to scurry between them. Having to cross busy trunk roads is far more dangerous and unavoidable for many people.

Established Member
Whilst the protest was not exactly safe, a level crossing is a public right of way so how exactly should these people be prosecuted? Really fed up of how railway companies and its employees and maybe even enthusiasts are promoting paranoia about what is perfectly safe, convenient and inexpensive if one uses awareness and common sense as trains don't follow buffer-to-buffer with pedestrians having to scurry between them. Having to cross busy trunk roads is far more dangerous and unavoidable for many people.

The camera person was definitely trespassing.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
a level crossing is a public right of way so how exactly should these people be prosecuted

It is also on a railway that may well have running trains on, and whilst I do not know the bylaws myself I would very much be surprised if misusing a level crossing does not come under one of them.

Townsend Hook

The first 3 deaths were all suicides, which whilst horrible for all involved, don't really show the crossings safety.

It does insomuch as they were able to commit suicide at that spot because they could easily get onto the track.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Right of way doesn't mean right to remain. I'm not totally au fait with the railway byelaws, but I'm fairly sure that loitering on a crossing is an offence.

Townsend Hook

Well that is how a crossing works! It would be like shutting beachy head to close it due to suicide risks.

The two aren't really comparable. A crossing is a means to an end, namely to enable people and/or vehicles to get from one side of the railway to the other. If the same ends can be achieved through a different means that keeps Joe Public off the track itself, so much the better. Beachy Head is not a means to an end, it is an iconic piece of scenery, and obviously cannot be replaced by something safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.