• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'The Tube' (TV program)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew

Established Member
I thought the director was travelling on an fgw HST?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
What train did David, the Director, travel on?

As said, almost certainly a 222. When I saw it I suggested it may be (I was on one only last week so it looked familiar/Voyager like). It then said he was going to Leicester (probably to Old Dalby) which ties in perfectly with it being an EMT (it also showed the DPD depot and other sights that you see leaving St Pancras, so up to that point I was thinking Meridian or Javelin, as I didn't know where he was going)

So was anyone on here one of the enthusiasts on the '67 stock?

http://railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1017201&postcount=247

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I thought the director was travelling on an fgw HST?

Was definitely the new EMT interior :) Made sense for continuity as the next section of the programme showed him in Leicester(? Was somewhere on the MML anyway)

Wyvern

Established Member
As I said earlier, it also showed him driving on the test track - Old Dalby?

Crossover

Established Member
As I said earlier, it also showed him driving on the test track - Old Dalby?

Old Dalby would fit in...double line with one 3rd/4th rail powered for testing. Looked fun driving down there, though don't think I'd necessarily want everything else that came with that job!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Old Dalby would fit in...double line with one 3rd/4th rail powered for testing. Looked fun driving down there, though don't think I'd necessarily want everything else that came with that job!

He looked at his most relaxed of any point during the program when he was driving the train along the test track. A chance for him to just concentrate on the driving and not think so much about the usual stress he has.

I don't understand why not many seem to like the Picc driver, I thought he was funny myself, someone I'd be happy to meet and not get annoyed. Better than being boring that's for sure, hope he doesn't get much stick to drive him out the job.

Exactly!

Established Member
I was the guy with glasses and blue top who spoke to the camera, thanks for the nice comments, not all young enthusiasts are of the arm waving, tone loving sort :)

I was with that group too, wearing the grey t-shirt and trilby :) I didn't say anything though.

CC 72100

Established Member
Well just watched Monday night's episode - very good as always. I agree that the young enthusiasts came across very well, hitting the nail on the head with regards to how it just a different hobby and that not every rail enthusiast is 'an old man who stands on the end of the platform with a big book'. Nice one :)

I liked the Picc driver, he seemed very passionate about his job, and a bit of enthusiasm doesn't hurt anyone! If it makes him happy let him be!
(For the record, the Picc's my favourite line too, closely followed by the Bakerloo then the Met)

The withdrawl of the '67 stock totally caught up on me - was hoping to get a ride on one before the end, guess I'll have to settle for the '72 stock now then.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Surely the big book has been replaced by an iPad, DSLR or HD camcorder?

Oh, and according to some train staff, commit an act of terrorism by taking a photograph of a train... :)

CC 72100

Established Member

Oh, and according to some train staff, commit an act of terrorism by taking a photograph of a train... :)

Fair point! I'll admit whilst I'm out I note down what I've had on my iphone, adding it to my moves book later ;)

Crossover

Established Member

Very true, but there are traditionalists :P

I note stuff on my iPod usually, which is great as it doesn't look particularly out of the ordinary, especially if you clock the unit number as it pulls in :)

GodAtum

On Moderation
I never knew how tight the schedule is and how a 10 sec delay can cause a 10 min knock-on effect.

I wonder if the guy who did the signs is invloved in the Olympics as he had the pin badge?

One of the best quotes of the year: "If a passenger sees more then 3 minutes on the DMI they feel hard done by, its a testament to the service of the Tube".

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Watching today's episode reminds me exactly how hard it is to run a rail system; we take it for granted and take it out on staff who don't want all of this hassle. The ideal is impossible. The staff are the unsung heros.

Another brilliant episode, shame all good things have to come to an end with next week's being the last :(

TP

Skymonster

Established Member
Yes, shame when it finishes next week... Anyone know if BBC will put it out on DVD?

Andy

Uzair

This episode was fantastic! It's a same to see such a vast number of commuters criticising the system and taking not the slightest bit of consideration of the people that do all the hard work. I'd really like to see a massive change in attitude from Londoners.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Not going to happen. London probably brings out both the best and worst in people.

For every moaning commuter that says everything is a disgrace, there are lots of people who smile and get on with it - and many who actually understand the problems and don't let it get to them.

What was with that woman who said if she missed her tube train, she would be 100% late? Surely nobody leaves absolutely no margin for error in their journey?

Sure, I did sometimes oversleep or run late and know I was up against it, but every day? Surely not!

GodAtum

On Moderation
Did anyone recognise the station she comutted from? And what's a 100% late? 1 min, 10 mins, and hour?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Well, you're either early, on time or late. You can't be half-late. Therefore if she was one minute late, or one hour late, she was 100% late as you can't be, say, 50% late...;)

jon0844

Veteran Member
She would definitely be late if she missed that first train, having left herself NO time for things to go wrong.

That, to me, is stupid. If her employer knew that, s/he might not be so forgiving when she rolls up late and blames problems on the tube!

GNER 91128

I've only managed to catch it from tonights episode but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great programme! Sad to see it finish next week.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've only managed to catch it from tonights episode but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great programme! Sad to see it finish next week.

It will no doubt be repeated over and over on the likes of Watch or Dave.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

anthony263

Established Member
I will buy a copy of this series if it is released on DVD & hopefully video 125 decide to stock it.

Anyone know how good the ratings are for this series? hopefully they will be filiming a
2nd series perhaps showing the run up to and then after the olympics?.

All Line Rover

Established Member
This programme is the best publicity the tube has ever received. Far better and more professional than the Sky 3 programme (good though it was) a few years ago.

If only everyone who travels on the tube was forced to watch this programme! I'm sure it would make life a lot easier for the staff. I certainly don't envy their jobs (to the contrary, the more I watch the programme the more I'm put off :lol:), but the programme really helps you to appreciate the work they do.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Another brilliant episode, shame all good things have to come to an end with next week's being the last :(

TP

It should be a perpetual series, constantly covering each week's engineering works. Might be a bit expensive, though...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If only everyone who travels on the tube was forced to watch this programme! I'm sure it would make life a lot easier for the staff. I certainly don't envy their jobs (to the contrary, the more I watch the programme the more I'm put off :lol:), but the programme really helps you to appreciate the work they do.

Especially with all those Ladies fainting about the place as though it were some sort of a Donny Osmond concert.

SS4

Established Member
Tom Jones must be performing at Bank with all those ladies fainting. That said the two on platform 4 who fainted were well fit.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
jonmorris0844:1025563 said:
She would definitely be late if she missed that first train, having left herself NO time for things to go wrong.

That, to me, is stupid. If her employer knew that, s/he might not be so forgiving when she rolls up late and blames problems on the tube!

That's what I thought. Utter stupidity to leave no margin for effort. Especially with a change to make

Status
Not open for further replies.