• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The X Factor winner is bowled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferret

Established Member
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Rage Against The Machine are Christmas No1!:) Chuffing result. Now that we've done Cowell's latest karaoke singer, can we screw over next year's winner as well? 18/12/2010 will see the 10th anniversary of the death of Kirsty MacColl. I can think of no better tribute than to engineer "Fairytale of New York" to be Christmas No1 for 2010.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
It was probably the best song in the running. And that says a lot about the X-Factor's efforts. Joe's song is crap, bland and unoriginal. I do feel sorry that Joe was caught up in this, considering that worse "talent" show acts have hit Christmas Number 1, but there's a clear message here; the once exciting concept of Christmas Number 1 has been turned into a mockery.

This all said, Simon is now saying that the whole thing has made the competition more exciting and revived Christmas Number 1. So perhaps a futile effort from all concerned?

Arriva158

To be honest i'm glad RATM came first, makes us realise that TV doesnt win everytime! i was on 67010 + 82305 last night and someone had it playing loud in the carriage and everyone was singing along! BRILLIANT :D

starrymarkb

Established Member
Wasn't Simon earlier claiming it was a hate campaign to deprive the winner of his prize?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Just because it's not your taste in music doesn't mean no one else is allowed to like it.

starrymarkb

Established Member
What a Bl**dy joke shows how s*** this country is when heavy metal rubbish or what ever it is gets christmas number 1

And a minion singing a cover of a 9 month old hannah montana song?

I'm not a fan of Killing in the Name of (personally would have thought Take the Power Back would have been more appropriate) but I'm glad its not something as bland and formulaic as the Xfactor song

Maybe next year it will be a Christmas song, but this year no-one did one because the Xfactor just runs over everything.

On second thoughts maybe try Iron Maiden, isn't it their 35th anniversary next year. Their singer has talent in spades too. Singer in world famous rock band, Olympic standard fencer (he was offered a place in the GB team), railway historian and he has a day job as a Boeing 757 captain. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQbb1f0rWxY )

Vulcan

since when has the christmas number 1 spot been exclusively part of the X factor winner's prize? I'm glad to have been one of the many thousands of people that downloaded RATM and put Smug Cowell and his karaoke Joe in their place. <D

Last edited:

adamp

Thats the only facebook group campaign Ive seen which has actually worked!
Funny stuff lol!

Pumbaa

Established Member
Wasn't Simon earlier claiming it was a hate campaign to deprive the winner of his prize?

Yes "cynical" "aimed directly at me" "it's stupid" "depriving the x-factor winner of the chance of a number one single". Zane Lowe did a fine job of promoting that!

Established Member
I think crimbo number 1 in 2010 should be something like slade or wizzard, they must be the most listened to christmas songs.

well done rage against the machine, Joe was number 2 can we make the x factor number 3 or 4 next year? :)

Vulcan

I think crimbo number 1 in 2010 should be something like slade or wizzard, they must be the most listened to christmas songs.

How about South Park's 'Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo' instead? Can you imagine how gutted x factor fans would be if their christmas number 1 slot was taken from them by a song about a talking poo?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And it's still a christmas song (of sorts)

Pumbaa

Established Member

well done rage against the machine, Joe was number 2 can we make the x factor number 3 or 4 next year? :)

For 2010, IMO, no1 should be "fairytale of new york". It will be the 10th anniversary of Kirsty MacColls death, and it's a proper christmas song too.

mrcheek

Established Member
I can see there being about a hundred different facebook groups next year, all pushing their own favourite for Xmas Number 1.
So, each song will be downloaded by about a thousand people, and the X Factor song will beat them all next year by a mile. Which is a shame.

But I just love it when people power has some effect. Similar thing happened a few years back. Ken Bruce on radio 2 played some obscure cover version from some obscure movie soundtrack, some time in November. The station was immediately bombarded with calls from listeners asking what it was, where they could get it, could it be played again etc. So it got played again and again. and then public demand got it released as a single. And eventually, the unknown Gary Jules' cover version of Tears for Fears' "Mad World" became an unlikely Xmas Number 1.

Death

Established Member
Personally, I was chuffed to bits when Rage managed to grasp the no. 1 slot! Indeed, it was I who took the screen-grab of the iTunes top ten (At 18:10, just before it was cleared off the Big Top 40 homepage) and stuck it in the Facebook campaign's photo album! <D

I'm already looking forward to the complete chart chaos next year though...Because this campaign worked so well, I can already see at least 25,000 "<SongTitle> for Christmas no. 1" style campaigns springing up all over Facebook from the end of next November! ;)

Anybody fancy supporting my "BAL-SAGOTH's The Dark Liege of Chaos is Unleashed at the Ensorcelled Shrine of A'Zura Kai (The Splendour of a Thousand Swords Gleaming Beneath the Blazon of the Hyperborean Empire - Part II) for Christmas number one 2010CE" campaign? :lol:<D

Death

Established Member
Nice...And it's even funnier there because he's already p***ed-off from the rosters team declining his annual leave yet again! :lol::D<D

Personally though, I'd love to see an abrupt end to all of these so-called "talent" shows...If ye ask me, the only "talent" in any of them is that of the PR department, who somehow manage to convince people that such mindlessly repetative manufactured crap is actually worth watching... :shock::roll:<(

D107

The winner is.............Sony. From www.time.com; "Rage Against The Machine's track was released by Sony BMG, and Sony owns Cowell's Syco label to which McElderry is signed".

Hardly a victory for the people?! Another win-win for the corporate giants.:roll:

As for my Yuletide choice, what about "Driving home for Xmas......"? :D

Ferret

Established Member
But I just love it when people power has some effect. Similar thing happened a few years back. Ken Bruce on radio 2 played some obscure cover version from some obscure movie soundtrack, some time in November. The station was immediately bombarded with calls from listeners asking what it was, where they could get it, could it be played again etc. So it got played again and again. and then public demand got it released as a single. And eventually, the unknown Gary Jules' cover version of Tears for Fears' "Mad World" became an unlikely Xmas Number 1.

Don't remind me! That bollocksed it up for The Darkness who released a genuine Christmas song that year!!! Gary Jules' version of Mad World was ok in its own way, but it was wholly inappropriate music for Christmas - more like music to kill yourself to!!!!!

Vulcan

It occured to me earlier that the overall message in Killing in the name is 'don't do what your told'. Yet thats what we all did in downloading it. Well done Rage against the machine, message fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.