• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket Wallets

Status
Not open for further replies.

1e10

Hello,

Where can I get a ticket wallet from? I live an area where only First Great Western stations are present. I kind of have a small vendetta against First as there bus services are terrible in my local area and expensive as there is no competition.

Do CrossCountry do ticket wallets? They're my favourite TOC, they're friendly and have a nice livery for their trains so I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of these.

Any idea how I could hold of one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1e10

Best way I've heard is to simply drop them an email asking if you could have one! Works for other TOCs :)

Hmm, I have dropped XC an email. I'm not confident of a reply though as they took a month to respond to my complaint.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Cross Country don't even sell tickets in stations. Why would they even have branded ticket wallets with their logos on?

Temple Meads

Established Member
Why would they even have branded ticket wallets with their logos on?

I don't think they would.. I've certainly never come across them.

You can get a standard ticket wallet from most staffed stations, although the last (and only) time I asked for one, I had to show my railcard before the clerk would give me one.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
They do exist. I've got one or two at home.

TP

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cross Country don't even sell tickets in stations. Why would they even have branded ticket wallets with their logos on?
Because they are good for promotion and encouraging customers to buy tickets from their website. They have been, in the past, handed out by their staff at stations or on trains.

Established Member
I don't think they would.. I've certainly never come across them.

You can get a standard ticket wallet from most staffed stations, although the last (and only) time I asked for one, I had to show my railcard before the clerk would give me one.

I don't know why that happened. Last time I asked for one, as my old one was wrecked and I needed a new one, the ticket seller opened the drawer and gave me a few, without even asking to see my season ticket.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I don't know why that happened. Last time I asked for one, as my old one was wrecked and I needed a new one, the ticket seller opened the drawer and gave me a few, without even asking to see my season ticket.

I suspect it's more down to the clerk - as with a lot of things on our network different staff will have different attitudes to different (small, trivial) matters. I haven't got a clue what the official line is but I've obtained them from Cleethorpes and Manchester Vic amongst others before now without being required to present a railcard or similar. Perhaps they see the shredded state my old wallet is in though :lol:

I was once given one with a Southern network timetable (the £5 one) at East Croydon, before they stopped publishing it.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....I haven't got a clue what the official line is but I've obtained them from Cleethorpes and Manchester Vic amongst others before now without being required to present a railcard or similar. Perhaps they see the shredded state my old wallet is in though :lol:....

Can't say I have seen an official line, but every piece of 'guidance' I have seen says that you get one when you buy a season ticket or Railcard. In reality most clerks will give them out on request or ask if you require one (if yours is obviously falling apart)

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I've got tons of ticket wallets most of the are the standard, blue National Rail ticket wallets. Most of them are from Chester station and they don't mind at all giving them out. I am a collector of stuff like this (tickets, reservation labels, HST destination labels, tix wallets; you name it) but I am still yet to come across TOC branded ones. I will probably start to email now.

Only on one occasion has a member of staff complained, and this was at Wrexham General, I had picked up returns to London from Capenhurst for 2 adults and 2 kids, the same in travelcards for 5 days and all the reservations and thus was in requirement for a wallet as I hadn't brought one with me. The lady behind the counter said I shouldn't really be asking for them and especially every-time you get a load of tickets and that she only gives them out with railcards or seasons, she let me have one "just this once".

1e10-If you just want a standard one, PM me and I will give you one for nothing.

1e10

Emailed CrossCountry and they've responded to say that they'll have one posted out to me :)

Class 92

I emailed CrossCountry and they said that they don't do ticket wallets? What did you say in the E-mail?
First Hull Trains, Northern & Virgin.
All do ticket wallets but for Virgin you need to go to a ticket office to get one.
I am waiting for a reply off everyone else.

1e10

I emailed CrossCountry and they said that they don't do ticket wallets? What did you say in the E-mail?
First Hull Trains, Northern & Virgin.
All do ticket wallets but for Virgin you need to go to a ticket office to get one.
I am waiting for a reply off everyone else.

I said that I book all my tickets through their website and would appreciate a ticket wallet from them. I do actually book all my tickets through their website so that is true.

Lesley replied asking for my address and said he would post one out to me.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I also have an XC wallet, of the two-window "landscape" variety, so they definitely do exist! Mine was from Reading.

Disliking First's bus services seems a funny reason to dislike FGW - Arriva buses are pretty bad too IME!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I also have an XC wallet, of the two-window "landscape" variety, so they definitely do exist! Mine was from Reading.

Sounds like there is more than one version existing. Must be a headache for Alex to try and collect them all. :D

AndyLandy

Established Member
Sounds like there is more than one version existing. Must be a headache for Alex to try and collect them all. :D

I've seen at least three or four different varieties of SWT ticket wallet, so Alex is going to need to do his homework to even know how many comprise 'all'! :lol:

Your next challenge is to acquire a Northern Spirit, Central Trains or even a Network SouthEast ticket wallet. Good luck!

TheEdge

Established Member
There is a very nice BTP one going around (at least GA land) that now holds my Priv. Its all done up in the style of their "We Get the Message" campaign.

1e10

I got a National Rail wallet at Penzance when I asked. The nice lady gave me one without asking to see any sort of season ticket or rail card.

Just got one from CrossCountry in the post.

http://imgur.com/a/9vKHh

I had for two (I know of someone else who wanted one) but Lesley explains how I've been given the last one in stock :)

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Do London Midland have their own ticket wallets? If so, I might renew my ticket at Milton Keynes Central, since I do like their colours.

Lucky beggar, getting an XC one. :D

1e10

Do London Midland have their own ticket wallets? If so, I might renew my ticket at Milton Keynes Central, since I do like their colours.

Lucky beggar, getting an XC one. :D

Are they difficult to get hold of then? I had no trouble getting mine, asked on Monday and got it today (Thursday).

Birdbrain

Who'd want a to look at a Voyager every time they get their tickets out! <( I used to have an NSE one and i'd love to buy/find an old one again! Currently using a boring National Rail one.

Wolvercoter

GA currently issue branded ticket wallets. I think SET do too.

I've picked up many of these over the years - some from defunct operators such as First Great Eastern, First Great Western Link, Wessex and Thameslink.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There are still a significant number of green Central Trains wallets floating around - evidently they were made of quite sturdy stuff. They seem to most commonly contain a Senior Railcard - so it's possible they just don't get used all that often.

I've only got plain National Rail ones - there certainly aren't branded East Midlands Trains ones which is a shame. I also had a Samaritans one for awhile, which was given out to rail staff who attended their courses, but I can't find it.

TPE do branded wallets, but they don't look all that sturdy.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
There are still a significant number of green Central Trains wallets floating around - evidently they were made of quite sturdy stuff. They seem to most commonly contain a Senior Railcard - so it's possible they just don't get used all that often.

I've only got plain National Rail ones - there certainly aren't branded East Midlands Trains ones which is a shame. I also had a Samaritans one for awhile, which was given out to rail staff who attended their courses, but I can't find it.

TPE do branded wallets, but they don't look all that sturdy.

Northern Rail gave me a Samaritans one, as well as their own and a National Rail one. The TPE ticket wallets may be like the Hull trains ones which are made of card!

Status
Not open for further replies.