• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tottenham Court Road has been moved on the tube map!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I would think this might have soemthing to do with the works currently taking place for Crossrail?

Yes, a two second check has revealed that Northern Line trains are not calling there until late November. Therefore this is a sensible piece of information meaning that millions of visitors will not be tempted to reach TCR by that route over the Summer.

But it looks like you knew that, so I assume your post must be a joke?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Seems logical to me - it would confuse passengers no end if it was still shown on the Northern Line while those platforms are closed?

HST Power

Established Member
I have a feeling it's because of the works, like Greenback said. I'm not 100% sure though so I'll check it.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Quite. Better than having to put a symbol next to it with a long explanation of what is happening.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I would think this might have soemthing to do with the works currently tkaing place for Crossrail?

Yes, that is correct.

I believe they have to rebuild (and reroute) the stairs and escalators between the Northern Line platforms and the station entrance. According to the video, they are also going to widen existing tunnels to the platforms and build news ones.

It is hoped (and I say hoped!) that the Northern Line platforms will reopen by November.

More info about it is in this official TfL video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9fYtnMlRbk

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Indeed, the station info tab on the right of the map even says why its moved.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Indeed, the station info tab on the right of the map even says why its moved!

I notice thay they haven't put the exact date they've been promising! :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quite. Better than having to put a symbol next to it with a long explanation of what is happening.

That's exactly what they did when the East London Line was being upgraded! :D

All Line Rover

Established Member
I would think this might have soemthing to do with the works currently taking place for Crossrail?

Yes, a two second check has revealed that Northern Line trains are not calling there until late November. Therefore this is a sensible piece of information meaning that millions of visitors will not be tempted to reach TCR by that route over the Summer.

But it looks like you knew that, so I assume your post must be a joke?

It's not a joke. I still think at least one of the reasons for doing it is so that people won't be as bothered if the project takes longer than expected.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
That may be the case. As you say, there is no definite date of completion as yet, the TfL site merely says late November.

However, the prime motivation is customer information. No one will attempt to get to Tottenham Court Road by using the Northern Line if they look at the maps. This will ensure that LU is not liable for anyone being late as a result of the closure!

All Line Rover

Established Member
That may be the case. As you say, there is no definite date of completion as yet, the TfL site merely says late November.

However, the prime motivation is customer information. No one will attempt to get to Tottenham Court Road by using the Northern Line if they look at the maps. This will ensure that LU is not liable for anyone being late as a result of the closure!

That's a good point. People won't be able to make any compensation claims! :D

I am sure that many people will be delayed by more than 15 minutes because of the closure (frequently, too, if they commute).

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Ther ewill probably be quite a few people who face delay and inconvenience, as happens when any engineering work takes place anywhere. Fortunately for Londoners, the excellent public transport network tends to mitigate the delays as there are usually many alternative options available.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The quickest alternatives are likely to be to surface at the stations before and after and walk rather than try to change to another line - unless of course you need to change between the Central and Northern for a relatively short trip within the central area.

Class377/5

Established Member
That's a good point. People won't be able to make any compensation claims! :D

I am sure that many people will be delayed by more than 15 minutes because of the closure (frequently, too, if they commute).

Not really. I live on the Northern Line and its quicjer in peak to walk from Tottenham Court Road to Goodge Street to get on the Line due to the station overcrowding (and I'll talking about the station still techinally fully open) anyway.

Besides for what the end result is its worth the trade off.

The quickest alternatives are likely to be to surface at the stations before and after and walk rather than try to change to another line - unless of course you need to change between the Central and Northern for a relatively short trip within the central area.

Only really affect you going east as going west you can change for the Victoria, Bakerloo or Piccadilly easy enough.

I notice thay they haven't put the exact date they've been promising! :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

That's exactly what they did when the East London Line was being upgraded! :D

They've put a month down but to be fair why put the day down? What happens if it reopens at the start rather than the end of the month (which may be the plan). They are basically saying its closed until Xmas rush which is good enough for me as a Northern Line commuter.

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
Personally I find it a bit of a nuisance as I always use Tottenham Court Road for the nearby Sainsbury's. Goodge Street isn't that close to Tottenham Court Road station!

I'm not moaning though, as I too think the (current) closure is worth it.

SS4

Established Member
Personally I find it a bit of a nuisance as I always use Tottenham Court Road for the nearby Sainsbury's. Goodge Street isn't that close to Tottenham Court Road station!

That's what I always used it for too, grab a couple of ciders for the journey home and back on the Northern Line to Euston.
The station was always busy though, even at off peak, so here's hoping it will be improved by the time it reopens.

I will have to find a new sainsburys to go to lol

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

If you're just after any supermarket, there's a Tesco Metro hidden away about 2 minutes walk from Goodge Street tube :)

All Line Rover

Established Member
That's what I always used it for too, grab a couple of ciders for the journey home and back on the Northern Line to Euston.
The station was always busy though, even at off peak, so here's hoping it will be improved by the time it reopens.

I will have to find a new sainsburys to go to lol

I always went for the £3 meal deal. £3 is a bargain, particularly if you get one of the "Taste the Difference" sandwiches (which cost £3 themselves, and are very filling) a bottle of Tropicana, and an expensive packet of crisps. It's one of the cheapest meals possible in London!

I know about the Tesco, Mike, but I don't like their sandwiches. ;)

Lately I've been going to John Lewis on Oxford Street after 7pm. They close at 8pm, and drastically reduce everything in the food hall. Sandwiches just 20p, patisseries just 50p, etc. You'd think it would be bad for their "image", considering they are a middle class shop, but you should see the queues at the checkouts!

Then, once my suitcase is stuffed with cakes and sandwiches, it's just 2 stops on the Victoria line to Euston. :D

SS4, according to Sainsbury's' website, there is a Sainsbury's Local next to Warren Street station (for the Northern/Victoria lines), and another one next to Marble Arch station (for the Central line). I remember the one at Warren Street - it's quite big, and stocks alcohol! I can't speak for the Marble Arch store though. Still, it should stock sandwiches! :D

SS4

Established Member
SS4, according to Sainsbury's' website, there is a Sainsbury's Local next to Warren Street station (for the Northern/Victoria lines), and another one next to Marble Arch station (for the Central line). I remember the one at Warren Street - it's quite big, and stocks alcohol! I can't speak for the Marble Arch store though. Still, it should stock sandwiches! :D

Excellent, I'll probably go to Warren St especially since it would be a lot easier to walk to Euston thereafter especially with a McDonalds nearby in case the hot food counter is lacking :D

All Line Rover

Established Member
Excellent, I'll probably go to Warren St especially since it would be a lot easier to walk to Euston thereafter especially with a McDonalds nearby in case the hot food counter is lacking :D

There is a hot food counter at the Warren Street Sainsbury's. :)

McDonald's is absolutely DISGUSTING in my honest opinion.

SS4

Established Member
There is a hot food counter at the Warren Street Sainsbury's. :)

McDonald's is absolutely DISGUSTING in my honest opinion.

Excellent, I love a bit of hot food. I don't mind McDonald's but it never seems to fill me up so I try to avoid it where there is a better alternative. I tend to take water down with me since I cannot abide London tapwater

bicbasher

Established Member

Pah! The Sainsburys on TCR is less than 5 mins walk from Goodge Street tube at normal walking pace.

As mentioned, there is a Tesco Metro (and a tiny KFC) by Goodge Street, but nowhere as good as the Sainsburys.

Leicester Square is approx 5/10 mins walk from TCR tube too.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I find it bizarre in which people who live nowhere near me are discussing some of my local food shops!!

I am not so sure it's a conspiracy as alluded to by the OP; unlike station closures such as Blackfriars it's not easy to remove an interchange from the map whilst indicating it is only on a temporary basis. Of course the new March 2011 Tube map shows it as a normal interchange.

Stickers have been put over the in-car diagrams on the trains to indicate that it is due to reopen in late 2011, as have stickers been put up on the line diagrams at most stations with a reopening date of late 2011.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I find it bizarre in which people who live nowhere near me are discussing some of my local food shops!!

I am not so sure it's a conspiracy as alluded to by the OP; unlike station closures such as Blackfriars it's not easy to remove an interchange from the map whilst indicating it is only on a temporary basis. Of course the new March 2011 Tube map shows it as a normal interchange.

Not the one I've got.

And some stations have the map with TCR on the Northern line (Lambeth North for one) and some without. Nice and confusing...

All Line Rover

Established Member

Stickers have been put over the in-car diagrams on the trains to indicate that it is due to reopen in late 2011, as have stickers been put up on the line diagrams at most stations with a reopening date of late 2011.

OK maybe it's not a conspiracy then! :)

KFC is absolutely DISGUSTING, and I mean DISGUSTING! I wouldn't touch their food with a bargepole. Tesco is good enough, but their sandwiches aren't great.

Although I live well over 100 miles from London, I go there very often. You live in a very popular area of London, Mojo! :D (Near to Oxford Street.) Tottenham Court Road is a very good interchange!

The closure of Tottenham Court Road is also annoying for when I visit the British Museum. It was three stops on the Northern Line from Euston and then a short walk down Great Russell Street. Taking the tube is now so inconvenient it's easier to walk (although I will look at buses the next time I visit).

EDIT: I did notice the stickers on the in-train "diagrams" when I went on the Central line on Tuesday, so to give credit to TfL they are actually publicising a completion date! (I still don't like TfL management, though.)

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
You can easily walk from Euston to the British Museum, as it's probably the same time as taking the tube then walking back on yourself (slightly).

All Line Rover

Established Member
You can easily walk from Euston to the British Museum, as it's probably the same time as taking the tube then walking back on yourself (slightly).

Really? Google says it's a 20 minute walk (approx.), whereas the Northern Line took less than 5 minutes, plus another 5 minutes walk to the museum.

Gower Street and Tavistock Square/Woburn Place are both fairly long roads! :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There's a rear entrance to the British Museum on Montague Place which is probably easier and quicker to reach from Goodge Street as the front entrance is from Tottenham Court Road.

All Line Rover

Established Member
There's a rear entrance to the British Museum on Montague Place which is probably easier and quicker to reach from Goodge Street as the front entrance is from Tottenham Court Road.

Really? I thought it was a staff entrance! Thanks for that! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.