• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE 170s - Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
Looks awesome - very nice indeed.

I do agree about the 185 look though...TPE seem to have moved away from the standard 170 fronts. It looks odd, but I'm sure people will get used to them.

Mint! :D

PS: Is that unit in service yet?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They will be moving onto Hull-Manchester diagrams in March sometime.

Coxster

Established Member
Is it me or have they sneakily tried to make it look like a 185 by painting the front yellow?
The front has to be yellow, but I know what you mean ;) It does indeed look like a 185 gone wrong, although I think they should have made the black window surrounds rounder at the top and bottom (like a 185) and also made the purple go slightly lower down on the front at roof level (again like a 185).

The Snap

Established Member
Will be nice to phot some of the new 170s, especially along the Hope Valley and other places. :)

Guinness

Established Member
I don't like the way the Headlamp Cluster is done. I think a tone of dark purple/blue around the Lights would make it more appealing. Similar to what CT 170 are.

adambro

Yes, they look very nice. Looking forward to seeing them coming through Hudds. Would anyone be able to find out exactly when they'll come into service?

Ben

Wont find them on the Hope Valley Rich.

Hull - Manchester only.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It's funny how the different paint job on the front makes such a difference to the appearance. At first glance it looks like a totally different train, especially when small like Rich's avatar. Personally I think it makes a nice change from the standard front end paint job on the Turbostars and Electrostars.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Saw another 170 at Hull yesterday lunchtime, in full South West Trains livery (including branding). Sadly I didn't get the number as I was passing by on a bus. :(

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What's with the huge numbering, some sort of DDA requirement for partially sighted trainspotters? ;)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What's with the huge numbering, some sort of DDA requirement for partially sighted trainspotters? ;)

Lol! Sadly I think its a less comical reason, and looks to be so that it matches the style of the 185s!

332 > 444

Im suprised they put the First logo on the front after the commotion with Keolis, looks nice though.

Julian G

Established Member
Hey Kyiran welcome to the forums told you it was a good Idea joining doese anyone know why the 170s have changed there fronts because they look really ugly??

They haven't changed the front, they just painted yellow on to the front and that's all

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They have clearly been changed to match the design of the 185s (possibly a tactic to fool the passengers into thinking that they are the same trains? ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.