• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
Has anyone heard that Mark 5a stock may be out of gauge for some of the Calder Valley tunnels? Someone has suggested it's Deanroyd Tunnel, near Walsden, but it may be Weasel Hall, near Hebden Bridge. I hope TPE have done their homework as they will need to use Calder Valley as a diversionary route.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dilbertphil

Has anyone heard that Mark 5a stock may be out of gauge for some of the Calder Valley tunnels? Someone has suggested it's Deanroyd Tunnel, near Walsden, but it may be Weasel Hall, near Hebden Bridge. I hope TPE have done their homework as they will need to use Calder Valley as a diversionary route.

It was being talked about in the mess room the other day, don't know the exact details but one certainly, if not all are slightly out of gauge and there could well be problems arising from it. That's all I know and have heard nothing since.

37201xoIM

Do driving trailers still need to be weighed down incase of a collision?
Funny you should say that: on the one hand I'm rather impressed if the DT(SO!) does only weight 34/35t (albeit that they have spelt "tonne" incorrectly unless they are reverting to imperial measures, which I wouldn't put past the MDTR...) - but on the other it struck me as very light indeed for the leading vehicle of anything, let alone something that in future is specified to be able to run at 125m/h (yes, the 100mph on the data panel will reflect the use of 68s, not the stock's inherent capability - rightly or wrongly!).

What is the craic with that sort of thing these days? Is it possibly linked to what sort of obstacle deflection and/or wider crashworthiness provision it has?

I'd also be interested to know what the weight of the standard trailer coaches is - if even the driving trailer is only 34/35t, that could be quite an impressive figure and a real step away from the "lardbutt railway"!

Journeyman

Established Member
What is the craic with that sort of thing these days? Is it possibly linked to what sort of obstacle deflection and/or wider crashworthiness provision it has?

The Pendolinos and Voyagers were the first trains to allow passengers in the leading vehicles at 125mph. You'll notice the cabs and the areas behind them take up rather a lot of space, and are designed to act as crumple zones in the event of a collision. That said, I think the introduction of TPWS has made people less scared of head-on collisions, because the risk of them actually happening has plummeted.

The Pendolinos and Voyagers were the first trains to allow passengers in the leading vehicles at 125mph. You'll notice the cabs and the areas behind them take up rather a lot of space, and are designed to act as crumple zones in the event of a collision. That said, I think the introduction of TPWS has made people less scared of head-on collisions, because the risk of them actually happening has plummeted.

Pendos and Voyagers weigh a bit more at the front though. Crashworthiness is fine in terms of crumple zones etc but it was a lowly cow that caused all the issues when it was hit by a DBSO many years ago. If the lead vehicle isn't heavy enough to stay on the rails when it hits something or plough through it then this can lead to its own problems.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Pendos and Voyagers weigh a bit more at the front though. Crashworthiness is fine in terms of crumple zones etc but it was a lowly cow that caused all the issues when it was hit by a DBSO many years ago. If the lead vehicle isn't heavy enough to stay on the rails when it hits something or plough through it then this can lead to its own problems.
AIUI Polmont was in large part down to sheer rotten luck, with the thigh bone of one of the cows managing to wedge in an unfortunate position and worsen the way the carriages jack-knifed. Many of the lessons of that fateful day have been learned but there's an element of unpredictability that can't easily be countered.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
AIUI Polmont was in large part down to sheer rotten luck, with the thigh bone of one of the cows managing to wedge in an unfortunate position and worsen the way the carriages jack-knifed. Many of the lessons of that fateful day have been learned but there's an element of unpredictability that can't easily be countered.
The thigh-bone was probably the cause of derailment, the jack-knifing more likely down to the DBSO striking a large tree. Some similarities with Great Heck where the orientation of the Land Rover on the track probably put the engine block underneath the wheels, and the consequences would have been far less had there not been a crossover which re-directed the derailed train into head-on collision. The DVT at Great Heck was weighted up but it's possible the attachment of the bogie to the body (recommended after Potters Bar) caused the whole lot to lift off the track rather than just lifting the body on its bogies, probably to drop back again.

notlob.divad

Established Member
I’ve heard that, so what’s happened to the initial plans of it being top and tailed 68’s?
I think initially the plan was to make all the carriages and then all the Driving trailers last. So carriages were to be run T&T until the DTs arrived. Clearly CAF and/or TPE have had a re-think and so full sets have arrived together. As a result they may as well test and run them in their final configuration.

I think initially the plan was to make all the carriages and then all the Driving trailers last. So carriages were to be run T&T until the DTs arrived. Clearly CAF and/or TPE have had a re-think and so full sets have arrived together. As a result they may as well test and run them in their final configuration.
Works fine for me, just going off what’d been said earlier in the thread, DT’s on the southern end I believe?

pt_mad

Established Member

mikemcniven

The Driver trailers come as part of the set when the units are been delivered as seen here on my images of the latest delivery at Cheadle Hulme. The Driver Trailers (DT's) are on the southern end of the unit sets with the 68's to be attached at the Northern end

Transpennine Express CAF MK5a stock on delivery
by Mike McNiven, on Flickr

mikemcniven

Hearing it may not have operated this morning due to the CAF engineers been delayed coming into the UK, suggestion of a cancelled flight

Last edited:

paddyb6

Is their any ideas when the first test train will run now?
Also is the route going to be Manchester - Carlisle - Bletchley - Manchester?
Thanks

The_Train

Established Member
Is their any ideas when the first test train will run now?
Also is the route going to be Manchester - Carlisle - Bletchley - Manchester?
Thanks

It looks like the routes due to be run today are pencilled into RTT every day this week but are currently listed as 'runs as required'

mikemcniven

Should be running tomorrow as its been reported the CAF engineers have now arrived. Due to run Manchester Int - Chat Moss - Carlisle - Bletchley - Styal - Manchester Int. Subject to the usual changes ect, nothing set in stone, best idea is to keep an eye on RTT for what gets activated

Should be running tomorrow as its been reported the CAF engineers have now arrived. Due to run Manchester Int - Chat Moss - Carlisle - Bletchley - Styal - Manchester Int. Subject to the usual changes ect, nothing set in stone, best idea is to keep an eye on RTT for what gets activated
Tremendous, thanks!

Erniescooper

It's only going as far as Longsight Excursion platform tomorrow but should be out Wednesday and Thursday on MID - Carlisle - Bletchley - MID diagram

paddyb6

So on WEDNESDAY, the first test will run from Carlisle to Bletchley on the WCML

37201xoIM

So is anybody offering odds on two, more, fewer or no Mk5 sets being in public service by the December timetable change.....?

theblackwatch

Established Member
So is anybody offering odds on two, more, fewer or no Mk5 sets being in public service by the December timetable change.....?

I think if I had to put money on it, mine would be zero. Or perhaps one set will to a Piccadilly-Airport round trip between Christmas and New Year... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.