• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
RTT shows the planned route from Crewe was to turn on to the Nantwich lines to Gresty Lane, then reverse into the Basford Hall yard, then out forwards on to the Independent lines through Sydney Bridge to Sandbach. Thereby turning round to keep 57303 leading.

I wonder why they did not simply run direct to Longsight from Chester via Warrington and Ordsall Lane?
The test LHCS routes from Longsight go that way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bertie the bus

Established Member
The train would have been the wrong way round - all 4 have been delivered with the DT at the south end and the barriers at the back. They reverse in, remove the barriers and then shunt the stock into the depot.

Greybeard33

Established Member
The train would have been the wrong way round - all 4 have been delivered with the DT at the south end and the barriers at the back. They reverse in, remove the barriers and then shunt the stock into the depot.
Well, if routed via the Mid-Cheshire line it would have got to Longsight the right way round. But maybe harder to clear the stock for that line?

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I honestly don't see why it matters which route it took. It got to its destination and was a one off not a thrice a day working.

pt_mad

Established Member
According to a freight driver I was talking to in the north east today, these Mk5 coaches are soon going to be on test on the WCML. Plan is to start as early as end of next week or the following week apparently. He said either 5 coaches (or 5 rakes of coaches), not sure which, are ready to go, and it will be top and tail 68s probably in TPE livery. The diagrams will be Longsight to Bletchley and return, possibly several runs with each rake. And Freightliner have been contracted the job, DRS didn't have quite enough resource to do the test runs aparently. He said traction and route learning for Freightliner drivers involved was now complete and all sets are planned to be tested on these WCML workings.

Last edited:

pt_mad

Established Member
The rumours of regular test runs of the mk5a stock starting soon with 68s top and tail Manchester Longsight to Bletchley.

Can anyone shed any light on these diagrams in realtrains:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P93192/2018/08/13/advanced

manchester int dpt 0516
0643 crewe
bletchley up and down relief 1 0837

bletchley up & down relief 1 0931
crewe 1121
Manchester Int Dpt (Fl) 1314

bletchley up & down relief 1 1400
crewe 1622
Manchester Int Dpt (Fl) 1741

Says timed for 100mph class 350. Could these be the paths that are ready to be used for 68/mka testing?

cambsy

On Moderation
Think its near Longsight depot, doesn’t look like anywhere else on southern WCML.

pt_mad

Established Member
Out of interest, what's the difference between a driving trailer and a DBSO? Some spotters are calling the trailer a DBSO on these because it has seating accomodation.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Out of interest, what's the difference between a driving trailer and a DBSO? Some spotters are calling the trailer a DBSO on these because it has seating accomodation.

A driving trailer is any unpowered vehicle which has a driving cab.

A DBSO is a driving brake standard open, which is an unpowered vehicle with a driving cab, guard's accommodation and Standard seating in an open (non-compartment) arrangement.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Think people are simply referring to it as a DBSO because of the comparison with the MK2 DBSO. Both have seats for passengers whereas a DVT doesnt. It's not an official classification, it's more out of habit I think

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The acronym "DTSO" (Driving Trailer Standard Open) was being used on discussion threads previously. I'm not sure the "Open" bit is necessary in this day and age, so DTS would be fine.

Not so great if it was First Class accommodation though! :lol:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Where is the guard's accommodation located? Do I half recall it's at the other end? In that case DTSO or DSO would work[1]. Yes, O is probably spurious these days, I don't expect to see any DTSKs any time soon! :)

[1] TSO in a LHCS context means Tourist Standard Open, by the way, not Trailer Standard Open as all LHCS is a trailer so that would be spurious. A TSO classically was 2+2 seating, while an SO was 2+1 but at Standard spacing. That's why you don't have TFOs, just FOs.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Where is the guard's accommodation located? Do I half recall it's at the other end? In that case DTSO or DSO would work[1]. Yes, O is probably spurious these days, I don't expect to see any DTSKs any time soon! :)

[1] TSO in a LHCS context means Tourist Standard Open, by the way, not Trailer Standard Open as all LHCS is a trailer so that would be spurious. A TSO classically was 2+2 seating, while an SO was 2+1 but at Standard spacing. That's why you don't have TFOs, just FOs.
I always seem to fall into the Tourist/Trailer trap... though presumably with EMU vehicles it means trailer as opposed to motor? As the Mk5a sets are likely to be treated more like units anyway (and the idea of fitting engines and motors to unpowered vehicles is now a thing with the Artemis DVT), Trailer seems more appropriate.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I always seem to fall into the Tourist/Trailer trap... though presumably with EMU vehicles it means trailer as opposed to motor? As the Mk5a sets are likely to be treated more like units anyway (and the idea of fitting engines and motors to unpowered vehicles is now a thing with the Artemis DVT), Trailer seems more appropriate.

With MUs it means trailer, yes, and O is normally dropped as there are now no compartment MUs. M (motored) is the opposite, so a DTS is a driving trailer standard and a DMS a driving motor standard.

Yes, they are sort-of unpowered MUs, being bar coupled within a "unit". A bit more like a 4-TC than a traditional hauled set. Though goodness knows why.

TBSchenker

The Pantograph coach on a Class 350/4 has the official term as PTOSLW which is Pantograph Trailer Open Standard Lavatory Wheelchair.

So Open is still used in official classifications.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Pantograph coach on a Class 350/4 has the official term as PTOSLW which is Pantograph Trailer Open Standard Lavatory Wheelchair.

So Open is still used in official classifications.
Internal documents will call the TPE mk5 set driving trailer a DT.
That's concise at least... Unlike the example given above, which is like the letters I always seem to pull out when playing Scrabble! :lol:

Thing is, sitting in 1st you won’t hear the loco. Already been proven on the test runs.
That'll disappoint the cranks but impress the general travelling public I guess!

GrimShady

Established Member
These are great looking sets! Pity the won't be running in Scotland.

They could do with small yellow ends though.

Established Member
Thing is, sitting in 1st you won’t hear the loco. Already been proven on the test runs.
Which way round was the loco on the test runs? When it’s the other way round (ie loud end not against the stock) it makes a noticeable difference on Chiltern.

Status
Not open for further replies.