• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ash39

Established Member
Correct, it’s so that 1st class will always be at the Liverpool or Man Airport end of the train.

A mate and I have been debating which way the loco would face pretty much ever since the LHCS was confirmed for TPE.

Are all the Scarborough & Middlesbrough services booked to go via the Ordsal Chord once all the dust settles on the new fleets? If not, I can't see how the orientation of the sets can be guaranteed as reversing at Piccadilly obviously interferes with that.

Geeves

Established Member
The Scarborough trains don't go around the chord and the Middlesbrough trains (unless something drastic occurs) do not reverse at Piccadilly so no real reason why they should suddenly end up the wrong way around sfaik!

Ih8earlies

Plenty of diversion routes that get used day in day out for route retention purposes on the North Route. Especially Middlesbrough services that go via Dinsdale.

Spartacus

Established Member
On the original diagrams based on the old timetable theer was one that would be turned every day, I don't know if that's the same now or not. It might be decided that turning the sets is useful depending on wear, but I do agree that whatever happens there'll be sets facing in both directions due to whatever reason.

TBSchenker

Operationally I can't see the point about having the sets pointing the same way. I hope they don't advertise it this way, TPE aren't like Virgin who very rarely have their sets turned. If they start telling people to stand in certain parts of the platform and the set is the opposite way round it will cause headaches.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Operationally I can't see the point about having the sets pointing the same way. I hope they don't advertise it this way, TPE aren't like Virgin who very rarely have their sets turned. If they start telling people to stand in certain parts of the platform and the set is the opposite way round it will cause headaches.

They should know which way round it is and put it on the PIS.

TBSchenker

*should*, but at the moment they don't with 185s which means when the train rolls in there's a shuffling of people (and trolleys) along the platform . If they could, they would already be doing it .

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Actually for a short while some stations actually did display which way round the TPEs were.

It's fundamentally not hard to have a driver or guard taking over a train record which way round it is and have that fed into the PIS consistently. And that is all the more important when we're talking trains nearly twice as long as the present ones. Particularly at Picc P13/14 where it arriving backwards will clog Castlefield for a valuable extra 2-3 minutes while people faff.

Anything suggesting that it is hard is just someone making excuses for poor service.

LittleAH

It's fundamentally not hard to have a driver or guard taking over a train record which way round it is and have that fed into the PIS consistently. And that is all the more important when we're talking trains nearly twice as long as the present ones. Particularly at Picc P13/14 where it arriving backwards will clog Castlefield for a valuable extra 2-3 minutes while people faff.

Anything suggesting that it is hard is just someone making excuses for poor service.

I take it you've never worked with software?

Bertie the bus

Established Member
The PIS at Piccadilly shows the formation for TPE trains. I was waiting for a train on P14 yesterday and a Newcastle service arrived and showed the formation as C B A.

Unless CBA was the frequently used acronym of course.:D

gordonjahn

Have to agree with this - if it’s not possible to come up with a reliable way of telling people what way round a set is the digital railway idea is stuffed already.

D6975

Established Member
Also will the MK5s be in fixed sets like multiple units are?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the couplings within a set were going to be solid bars, rather than tightlock or whatever. Rearranging sets needs the use of a big spanner if this is the case.

ash39

Established Member

At the moment there's no real reason to keep the 185's the 'right' way around from a maintenance perspective.

Could well be different with the LHCS sets. Fuelling and servicing points on depots will have to be placed to suit the sets being one way or another.

BMIFlyer

The plan is that the sets ‘should’ always be facing the same way on all services (except on overnight diverted trains or in serious disruption).

The loco will always be at the Liverpool end on the Scarborough - Liverpool trains and should always be at the airport end on the Middlesbrough services.

The diagrams are also set in such a way that the loco hauled sets will start and end the diagram facing the same direction.

For example we have an empty stock from the Longsight depot to Man Vic for the first train off there to Lime Street. It runs from Longsight to Salford Crescent, reverses and then ends up at Vic. The train still has the loco facing ‘towards Liverpool’ for the entire trip.

When the sets enter service the plan is that the station PIS will show the formation and if it changes will update the info.

Likewise there is a similar diagram at the end of the day as well doing the opposite.

D6700

In addition to the MID-Scarborough test workings, there seems to be what I assume are Freightliner operated trips up and down to Scarborough scheduled for next week. These are slotted in around the regular TPE worked Class 68 driver training runs. Can’t help but feel there’s a connection somewhere...
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...2019/01/28/0000-2359?stp=S&show=all&order=wtt

They are indeed FLHH, as they are running with Infrastructure Service Codes. I believe they were also hoping to go down the Wolds Coast line, so suspect they are actually preparing for engineering trains.

The following may be of interest, too, which are shown with Colas Engineering Train Service Codes:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U09491/2019/01/30/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U09455/2019/01/31/advanced

The York to Scarborough line has certainly become a lot more interesting lately!

Muzer

Established Member
I take it you've never worked with software?
Other TOCs around the country manage it no problem. CrossCountry trains have their first class's locations reported at stations at which TPE call as well! And most other TOCs have some sort of message or warning when their stock is the "wrong way round".

_toommm_

Established Member
Other TOCs around the country manage it no problem. CrossCountry trains have their first class's locations reported at stations at which TPE call as well! And most other TOCs have some sort of message or warning when their stock is the "wrong way round".

Just look at the coupler as the train arrives in - if the electrical block cover is painted yellow that means First Class is at that end...

modernrail

The general platform management of most busy stations on TPE express is pretty poor. That is not a criticism of the platform staff, it is a criticism of the powers that be. A system is needed. This stuff matters on a congested railway. As a passenger I am more than happy to get myself ready to be in the right place if given the opportunity. Long distance passengers are more likely to have luggage, I suspect there are a larger proportion of older passengers and many passengers will have booked seats. Getting all these passengers in the right place is bound to help reduce dwell times.

The challenge with TPE will be across the Nova fleets not just within 1 Nova type. My personal view is that it is effort worth making whatever the most practical solution is.

MDB1images

On anglo-scots at stations capable they do display the formation whichever way around it is for Class 185 and Class 350 traction.

Once the MK5a enters service I'm sure the level of information available on available seating and formations etc will be to a higher standard such is the technology available on those units.

Status
Not open for further replies.