• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Thanks Philip, you've hit the mail on the head. One of the biggest delays to the Nova3 project was caused by challenges getting the 68s and DTs to communicate - and this issue is ongoing. It should have been clear from the outset that this was essential to the success of the Nova3 project, and to have signed contracts without assurances from the manufacturers to share proprietary information was at best naive (if such assurances weren't forthcoming when manufacturers were trying to secure orders, why would they be willing to provide them subsequently?), or worse (if this key dependency wasn't recognised and/or it was decided to press on knowing it was likely that the required assurances would not be forthcoming).
I wonder if this post is as accurate as your first, and the subsequent ones that Philip has made?

Have you had sight of the contracts? I haven’t and hence prefer to stick with information that’s firstly in the public domain and secondly not written with the benefit of hindsight.

It’s easy to forget the situation TPE had been in for several years, passenger demand far outstripped capacity and as I understand it the company acted to try and increase that capacity as quickly as possible.

That things didn’t work out that way is well documented both in this thread and elsewhere. Perhaps you would be kind enough to say why you feel the need to go back over things that have already been covered many times over? Do you have some inside information to share?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sjpowermac

Established Member
It is true to say that there was a lack of engineering oversight on the part of TPE during the build process, which is now causing problems. TPE's only experience of procuring new trains was from Siemens. Could I politely suggest that CAF are not in the same league in terms of quality. TPE were very focused on getting a high quality passenger experience, which, in terms of interior layout, seat comfort compared to o other recent new trains, and general ambience, has largely been achieved. Unfortunately, the engineering side is dire. If the Nova 3's were replacing old, worn out, unreliable stock then you could probably reluctantly accept that, but the 185's are a very good train, multiple Golden Spanners winners and although they are not without some issues, in general a very pleasant train to travel in. Its difficult to justify spending thousands, perhaps millions on rectifying the Nova 3's and further staff training to replace the 185's with a clearly inferior product.
That’s an interesting and informative take, thank you for that.

I’m particularly interested in what you say about procurement. One of the early delays (December 2018 I think) was connected with braking problems at low speed. As I understand it the twin pipe system was specified by TPE. I wonder if a more modern electronic solution would have been technically feasible with the Class 68s (and the Mk 5 sleeper stock)?

Something that I wondered about (regarding both Nova 3 and new fleets in general) is how much engineering expertise there is amongst staff working for TOCs in new train fleet introduction. That’s a genuine question and not a criticism.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Something that I wondered about (regarding both Nova 3 and new fleets in general) is how much engineering expertise there is amongst staff working for TOCs in new train fleet introduction. That’s a genuine question and not a criticism.

There is some, but the level of competency overall is variable. Roger Ford has covered this recently in one of his columns.

TOCs in general don't appear to be coping particularly well with the move from leasing stock from ROSCOs, where you have people very much like Modern Railway's Ian Walmsley (ex of Porterbrook) who bring along a significant body of experience from their days with British Rail and early privatisation, to the special purpose funding bodies who provide cash and very little else - the Rock Rail type funders - leaving the TOC to undertake much more of the engineering work necessary to support introduction into service, undertake overhauls etc.

Hitachi fall into a special category - they take responsibility for a lot of the engineering work that would normally fall onto a traditional ROSCO or a TOC under the more recent rolling stock purchases. That is reflected in the more complex way Hitachi rolling stock is leased with Hitachi managing all of the maintenance contracts. It does seem to be working well, with relatively easy entry into service and good reliability data filtering through for the latest Hitachi deliveries.

Seehof

A very wise (sadly departed) senior Manager of BR once said to me:
“If you change something it has got to be at least the same as it was before or ideally better”.

sjpowermac

Established Member
I’m sorry if there are inaccuracies in my post. Could you could be more specific – I’m always up for being corrected, if I get things wrong. Re-reading Philp's comments (and his subsequent ones), we appear to be pretty much on the same page.

No, I’ve not had sight of the contracts, nor do I have access to inside information. But I have read in several places that Stadler / CAF have been unwilling to share proprietary data re communication between 68s and DTs, which is unlikely to have happened had relevant undertakings been incorporated within legally enforceable contracts.

Perhaps they were in the contracts, but then it’s difficult to understand why TPE has not sought redress through the courts (or perhaps it has, but this is not in the public domain?). Isn’t it more likely that they weren’t in the contracts, than TPE has chosen not to seek enforcement (given the costs TPE has incurred)? But I could be wrong – it would be interesting to know definitively one way or the other – can anyone enlighten me/us?

Yes, I do remember TPE’s predicament, but it seems that TPE took a gamble on the 68s/Mk5s that hasn’t come off, and further, that they should have known it wouldn’t come off without assurances about communication between 68s and DTs. That said, I am aware that many people have been working extremely hard to rectify the situation, and it’s a credit to them that the problems are now largely resolved. And I genuinely want to see the Nova3 project succeed (and not just for loco haulage!).

Unfortunately, the situation concerning TPE’s 68s and DTs may not be a ‘one off’. For Crossrail, Siemens’ signalling solution was chosen for the central section, the plan being to buy Siemens’ trains. And then it was decided to switch to Bombardier trains. I’ve read that trying to get Siemens’ signalling solution and Bombardier’s trains to communicate properly is giving Crossrail’s engineers similar headaches to those experienced by TPE, and is a significant contributing factor to the ongoing Crossrail delays.

Which leads to my main motivation, which is to see the railway acknowledging and learning from (ie not repeating) costly mistakes that damage the railway’s reputation. I’m no advocate for the legal profession generally, but the increasing prevalence of critical dependencies between different suppliers heightens the need to ensure contracts anticipate and include all factors necessary for successful implementation and operation over expected service life. Prevention is nearly always less costly than cure.
Whilst your posts are extremely well written, much of what you’ve put seems to be speculation. I’ve got absolutely no clue as to how accurate your comments about contracts and legal action are. I suspect that even if you are correct, it’s something that won’t end up in the public domain.

On a more positive note the Nova 3 sets are back in action today. The following have/are due to work today:
68025 TP06
07:34 Scarborough-Manchester Vic
16:43 Manchester Vic-Scarborough
19:34 Scarborough-Manchester Air

68024 TP07
15:24 Manchester Vic-Liverpool LS
16:54 Liverpool LS-Scarborough cancelled due to a problem with a railway embankment at Roby.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can I remind posters that this thread is for the discussion of TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress i.e. what is actually happening.

If anyone wants to discuss anything speculative about what TPE should or should not do re their rolling stock then they are welcome to start a new thread in the speculative ideas section.

A further reminder to posters to please stick to topic.

For discussion of whether TPE made the right choice with Mark 5 coaches see this thread:

for discussion of Fainsa seating please see this thread:

for discussion of TPE Class 68 and Mark 5 diagrams see this thread:

Last edited by a moderator:

sjpowermac

Established Member
TP10 entered traffic today with 68021 ‘Tireless’ doing the honours.

Does anyone know the date it was accepted by TPE?

The first working was
1F48 05:54 Manchester Vic to Liverpool Lime Street

Updated list of sets in traffic together with their first workings and locomotives:

TP09 68027 24.08.2019
1F48 05:55 Manchester Victoria-Liverpool

TP11 68026 28.08.2019
1F62 12:56 Manchester Victoria-Liverpool

TP04 68025 19.09.2019
1E23 05:56 Liverpool-Scarborough

TP12 68030 05.10.2019

TP06 68028 12.10.2019

TP08 68019 01.12.2019
1E29 08:56 Liverpool-Scarborough

TP13 68022 11.12.2019

TP07 68023 24.12.2019
1E23 06:27 Manchester Piccadilly-Scarborough

TP10 68021 13.10.2020
1F48 05:54 Manchester Victoria to Liverpool Lime Street

43 302

Established Member
TP10 entered traffic today with 68021 ‘Tireless’ doing the honours.

Does anyone know the date it was accepted by TPE?

The first working was
1F48 05:54 Manchester Vic to Liverpool Lime Street

Updated list of sets in traffic together with their first workings and locomotives:

TP09 68027 24.08.2019
1F48 05:55 Manchester Victoria-Liverpool

TP11 68026 28.08.2019
1F62 12:56 Manchester Victoria-Liverpool

TP04 68025 19.09.2019

TP12 68030 05.10.2019

TP06 68028 12.10.2019

TP08 68019 01.12.2019
1E29 08:56 Liverpool-Scarborough

TP13 68022 11.12.2019

TP07 68023 24.12.2019
1E23 06:27 Manchester Piccadilly-Scarborough

TP10 68021 13.10.2020
1F48 05:54 Manchester Victoria to Liverpool Lime Street
I'm sure Andie Wilkinson will be able to help :D And thanks for this info. I didn't pay much attention to the Nova 3s at the time so this info is invaluable to me for my rolling stock spreadsheet needs!

sjpowermac

Established Member
I'm sure Andie Wilkinson will be able to help :D And thanks for this info. I didn't pay much attention to the Nova 3s at the time so this info is invaluable to me for my rolling stock spreadsheet needs!
You are most welcome:)

Sets accepted by TPE

TP09 12.04.2019
TP06 15.05.2019
TP04 04.07.2019
TP11 11.07.2019
TP12 03.10.2019
TP13 22.11.2019
TP08 06.12.2019
TP07 19.12.2019
TP10 xx.09.2020

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Haven't TPE's Scarborough line passengers suffered enough over the past few years?....

Yeah with overcrowding. Which these intend to solve. But not that well at times. One diagram today was 3-car instead of one of these.

RHolmes

Come on TPE get all the Scarboroughs over to these ASAP.

Scarborough service will be operated by 4x Nova 3 and 3x 6car 185 from December timetable change where the hourly Liverpool service returns replacing the York shuttle

Again, lack of training of traincrew for the last 7 months

Last edited:

Ben Bow

Yeah with overcrowding. Which these intend to solve. But not that well at times. One diagram today was 3-car instead of one of these.

For a service to be overcrowded, it has to turn up in the first place. Unless you're referring to the replacement buses of course...

blackfive460

Scarborough service will be operated by 4x Nova 3 and 3x 6car 185 from December timetable change where the hourly Liverpool service returns replacing the York shuttle
A shame in a way that they aren't continuing with shuttles between York and Scarborough. While we've had that we've had a pretty reliable service. After December I expect things will return to 'normal'.

Again, lack of training of traincrew for the last 7 months
Will it though? the latest Tfn meeting pointed out on a different thread doesn't suggest much change to the North TPE timetable and no change to the Scarborough service.

RHolmes

Will it though? the latest Tfn meeting pointed out on a different thread doesn't suggest much change to the North TPE timetable and no change to the Scarborough service.

yes, and additional depots are now required to sign the Liverpool CLC diversion.

The north timetable is changing dramatically with increased service provision on top of the Tfn meeting.

The Liverpool to Edinburgh will operate to York only with extensions every three hours to Edinburgh. York to Newcastle served by Victoria to Newcastle shorts operating hourly.

Scarborough shuttles replaced by full Liverpool to Scarborough service pre-covid timetable. (Nova 3/185)

Stopper services will revert to 3 car with some services replaced by additional calls on the express routes on Sundays and evenings

Most (but not all) Redcar and Cleethorpes services will operate as 6 car units as per pre-covid timetable, Cleethorpes services will not operate further than Piccadilly bar 1RJ for route retention purposes

Hull service will start an hour later and finish an hour earlier. Sunday journeys replace Manchester stopping service.

Airport to Edinburgh - no change to timetable, calling pattern changes
Liverpool to Glasgow - 50% timetable
Airport to Glasgow - 50% timetable

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Well one more Nova on Scarbados (to return to topic) would free up 2x185 and allow all Cleethorpes and Redcar to be booked 6-car.

Mollman

Established Member
yes, and additional depots are now required to sign the Liverpool CLC diversion.

The north timetable is changing dramatically with increased service provision on top of the Tfn meeting.

The Liverpool to Edinburgh will operate to York only with extensions every three hours to Edinburgh. York to Newcastle served by Victoria to Newcastle shorts operating hourly.

Scarborough shuttles replaced by full Liverpool to Scarborough service pre-covid timetable. (Nova 3/185)

Stopper services will revert to 3 car with some services replaced by additional calls on the express routes on Sundays and evenings

Most (but not all) Redcar and Cleethorpes services will operate as 6 car units as per pre-covid timetable, Cleethorpes services will not operate further than Piccadilly bar 1RJ for route retention purposes

Hull service will start an hour later and finish an hour earlier. Sunday journeys replace Manchester stopping service.

Airport to Glasgow - no change to timetable, calling pattern changes

I don't quite get this - will all the 802s which will be spare with the changes to the Newcastle services be sat around doing nothing? Will Hull services remain as 2x185s?

Guessing that one of the Airport - Glasgows should be Airport - Edinburgh?

I don't quite get this - will all the 802s which will be spare with the changes to the Newcastle services be sat around doing nothing? Will Hull services remain as 2x185s?

Guessing that one of the Airport - Glasgows should be Airport - Edinburgh?
Well I would imagine they will be at least as or more occupied than now, I assume the Victoria-Newcastle is a cut back Airport-Newcastle and mainly 802 worked which doesn't currently run at all, along with the reduced Liverpool-York/Edinburgh Service. It means the core service will be virtually back to normal.

What is perhaps a little strange on this new timetable is the fact they have a full fleet of 802's but the service these trains work is somewhat cut back, but the service for the MK5's isn't cut back despite only a limited number available, does this mean the 15x 185's wont be taken off lease until more MK5 are available and what sort of timescale are we talking about for the remaining MK5's?

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member

Airport to Glasgow - no change to timetable, calling pattern changes
I'm a bit out of the loop here - what's the purpose of this diversion?

RHolmes

I'm a bit out of the loop here - what's the purpose of this diversion?

York traincrew don’t sign CLC but Liverpool crew don’t sign Nova 3.

It allows 185 trains to be used in times of disruptions by Liverpool, Manchester Pic, Airport and York as apposed to just Liverpool should their be problems on the Chat Moss

fireftrm

What is perhaps a little strange on this new timetable is the fact they have a full fleet of 802's but the service these trains work is somewhat cut back, but the service for the MK5's isn't cut back despite only a limited number available, does this mean the 15x 185's wont be taken off lease until more MK5 are available and what sort of timescale are we talking about for the remaining MK5's?
The service that the Mk5s and 68s work is SEVERELY cut back, just look at the timetable! It is supposed to hourly Scarborough to Liverpool and return, but there are only 5 a day. Therer are some services that terminate at York, yes half of which are 185s (probably as they are based at York) but only 5 through services is definitely a dramatic cut back from the 15 there should be. Note that even with some services truncated at York there are 4 services completely out of the timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.