• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Plan for the future

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If as they suggest they can now increase the Newcastle to Edinburgh semifast service to 2 hourly all day, why was it necessary to remove all the previously planned through services from Liverpool to Edinburgh? Is it because the paths north and south of Newcastle don’t fit together?

Will a 2 hourly service at the likes of Morpeth and Berwick balance out the much criticised LNER reductions?

Will a 2 hourly service at the likes of Morpeth and Berwick balance out the much criticised LNER reductions?

not likely to balance them out as depends on where the paths come from for those 2 hourly services to operate, if they are at for example the expense of crosscountry then they won't replace the potential lner reductions

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If as they suggest they can now increase the Newcastle to Edinburgh semifast service to 2 hourly all day, why was it necessary to remove all the previously planned through services from Liverpool to Edinburgh? Is it because the paths north and south of Newcastle don’t fit together?
The line from Northallerton to Edinburgh is effectively two track all the way. The suggestion was that trying to path TPE all the way from York to Edinburgh in one go, with stops, as the slowest of the York to Edinburgh services was a moving block which hindered the timing of other services.

As it is, multiple trains follow each other for 200 miles north of York a few minutes apart.

gomango

TPE is starting to get better for me, 2 perfect trips, perfect load for most seats filled but no one standing and even sent a replacement 802 from Newcastle to Edinburgh to run our service to Manchester Airport as the previous train broke down. They could of easily cancelled it. Everything was on time! Thumbs up from me :D

waterboo

Senex

Established Member
How does 29–55 units amd 174–330 vehicles, which seems to tie in with 6-car sets, fit with up to 195 m in length. Even with 26.4-metre vehicles a 6-car set only comes to 158.4 m.

Snow1964

Established Member
How does 29–55 units amd 174–330 vehicles, which seems to tie in with 6-car sets, fit with up to 195 m in length. Even with 26.4-metre vehicles a 6-car set only comes to 158.4 m.

Realistically 195m is going to be 8car (8 x 24.375m = 195m),
although streamlined end vehicles might be bit longer than intermediate vehicles

7cars would need to nearly 28m long, which is longer than most curves would allow

josh-j

I'm curious now as to what needs to happen before the Huddersfield - Manchester stopper can transfer back to Northern, if the one to Leeds is transferring already the end of this year. Why are they different?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
TPE is starting to get better for me, 2 perfect trips, perfect load for most seats filled but no one standing and even sent a replacement 802 from Newcastle to Edinburgh to run our service to Manchester Airport as the previous train broke down. They could of easily cancelled it. Everything was on time! Thumbs up from me :D

My recent experience of TPE demonstrated that too many trains are booked 3-car. If there's a last minute unit failure, that's a cancellation. If they're booked 6 and there's a last-min issue, they can often still run as 3 and get the majority where they need to be roughly on time.

craigybagel

Established Member
I'm curious now as to what needs to happen before the Huddersfield - Manchester stopper can transfer back to Northern, if the one to Leeds is transferring already the end of this year. Why are they different?
I'm not sure if any Northern staff have retained route knowledge between Huddersfield and Stalybridge.

gomango

My recent experience of TPE demonstrated that too many trains are booked 3-car. If there's a last minute unit failure, that's a cancellation. If they're booked 6 and there's a last-min issue, they can often still run as 3 and get the majority where they need to be roughly on time.
Is it worst going across the pennines with TPE. Like Leeds-Liverpool or Manchester-Huddersfield? As TPE are quite reliable anytime I've looked up the west coast mainline.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Is it worst going across the pennines with TPE. Like Leeds-Liverpool or Manchester-Huddersfield? As TPE are quite reliable anytime I've looked up the west coast mainline.
Yes, it's not uncommon for 3 car 185s to be traversing the Pennines which is just awful for overcrowding.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Crew and rolling stock availability.

Class 170101

Established Member
The line from Northallerton to Edinburgh is effectively two track all the way. The suggestion was that trying to path TPE all the way from York to Edinburgh in one go, with stops, as the slowest of the York to Edinburgh services was a moving block which hindered the timing of other services.

As it is, multiple trains follow each other for 200 miles north of York a few minutes apart.

But it must have worked in Dec 2019 WTT because that's what was in Real Time Trains at that time.

3RDGEN

But it must have worked in Dec 2019 WTT because that's what was in Real Time Trains at that time.
The Winter 2019 TPE service north of Newcastle was a true express service stopping only at Morpeth so matched the LNER timings whereas now they prove a stopping service and are far slower which will cause pathing issues. The last service from Edinburgh south does actually run through to Liverpool but that will be for operational reasons to swap units around. The service north of Newcastle is provided under some agreement with Transport Scotland, Transport for the North and TPE so they may want to keep it separate from the core TPE services.

northwichcat

Established Member
Interesting that the Leeds Huddersfield stopper will transfer back to Northern in December.

How will that affect rolling stock allocation? Will the Leeds-Huddersfield stopper be ready to switch to electric by then? If not, will that leave fewer carriages for other routes e.g. Calder Valley?

And the Manchester Huddersfield stopper by the time TRU is completed.

Given Northern have difficulty staffing Sunday services in the Manchester area, presumably they wouldn't want it at present?

td97

Established Member
How will that affect rolling stock allocation? Will the Leeds-Huddersfield stopper be ready to switch to electric by then? If not, will that leave fewer carriages for other routes e.g. Calder Valley?
TRU electrification will not be complete between Leeds & Huddersfield until later in the decade. It will be diesel to start with. One would assume Northern would acquire more rolling stock, potentially ex TfW 150s or 158s. Alternatively there was the previous situation of 'hiring in' 185s with a TPE driver.
Given Northern have difficulty staffing Sunday services in the Manchester area, presumably they wouldn't want it at present?
Again it's unknown if staff would be TUPE'd across, or if new recruits would be required.

Starmill

Veteran Member
How will that affect rolling stock allocation? Will the Leeds-Huddersfield stopper be ready to switch to electric by then?
It won't be until after the new flyover near Ravensthorpe and station at Huddersfield has been built. Another 5 - 8 years.

danbarjon

Thank you. Nice to see. Now let's hope it's provided reliably.
Well staff training appears to be going well and having travelled with them myself recently there is a very different feeling, and I can happily say I will travel with them regularly again as long as it all doesn't go wrong like last time.

800Travel

As expected today was the roll out of the new First Class WCML menu which has been named the "West Coast Kitchen" along with any other services having a menu branded "Express Plus".

All information is available here: https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travelling-with-us/onboard-facilities/food-and-drink
Menu looks quite impressive! I didn’t see any indication of min journey length. Like how LNER says that you need to travel for more than an hour to be likely to be served. Less than is at discretion.