• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPL-Related Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
Well, I certainly made a good go of snatching victory, but Ivo has scored too many points (again) this round. By my reckoning, He's scored 38* compared to my 47* + away goal bonus (I'm 1 out). I've not checked the attendance figures.

* My crude calculations, very probably wrong!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
After much delay, I have finally completed all scoring for the season.

Well done to all and thank you for making this season a success. Merry Christmas.

Don't forget that Season 4 starts in less than 72 hours and the deadline for first round entries is 1115 on Boxing Day. See you all then. :D

(I haven't had time to look into the play-offs yet as I'm a little busy at the time. Will do so when I have some more time.)

gnolife

Established Member
Are you seriously saying that I managed to get the wooden spoon in BOTH tables?? <( :cry:
Ignoring CallySleeper who played 1/3 of the rounds I did

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You only had yourself to blame though, as if you entered the final round, your destiny would have been in your own hands.

SS4

Established Member
Are you seriously saying that I managed to get the wooden spoon in BOTH tables?? <( :cry:
Ignoring CallySleeper who played 1/3 of the rounds I did

By 0.002 points in the average points table <D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Time to see if my luck with the RNG continues

andrew bell

Not a bad season for me, considering after round 1 I was rock bottom in both leagues :)

Remember Arsenal v West Ham is a Null and Void fixture due to tube strikes

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
So play-offs.

I've given it some thought. Given that there are two rounds of semi-final games and one round of final game in the FL (not including Conference so the fixtures don't overlap), we have 3 rounds of fixtures in front of us.

I agree that the Total Points Table should be given priority to encourage people to enter at every round, so maybe we can have the top three from the two Total Points Tables progress to the play-offs and the champions in the Average Points Table as well. That gives (at most) eight candidates. If there are only three unique players, the people finishing fourth in both Total Points Tables will be included.

So the first round can be a round-robin to decide the top three (unique) players, with those finishing higher up in the regular season given some sort of points advantage.

The second round of games can be 2nd vs 3rd, and the winner plays 1st in the final?

As an incentive to those finishing in top positions more than once, they can submit as many entries as the number of times they finish there.

I haven't worked out how to aggregate the scores from both tables so this is one way of not having to do that.

Above is just a rough working, let me know of any thoughts.

Detailed format, etc, will be given due consideration at a future time.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Am I the only one who'd rather keep TPL a nice, straightforward, enjoyable competition without all this play off and changes like were proposed in the summer? For me this is just a bit of fun that I don't treat overly seriously, but I fear with all these proposals it's just becoming way too serious and far too competitive, I thought this was all meant to be a nice friendly bit of football prediction?

If this play off thing does happen, can I ask for my record to be disregarded please? I really don't like the direction this is all taking.

Last edited:

newbie babs

I totally agree with MattE2010.

Simple is what it is meant to be all about. I have said this before about changing it.
If you only want 4 people to compete against each other then do so but don`t change the concept of the game just because you want to make it more competitive between certain players
In fact when I asked who uses generated ways of playing this game not many answered. I wonder why you didn`t answer.
Anyone can use a generation number selector but to actually look at games played and predict takes more skill than what you keep trying to change it to.

Competition is good but your taking it way past that.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have no problem with either format. I am only thinking of ways that proposals from players can be implemented. Like I said last time, if there are many that are against an idea then it won't get implemented. Simple as that. I will not and cannot stop people from making suggestions. Similarly I will not and cannot stop people from stating their support or objection. It is only a game after all so what is important is that people have fun. All else are secondary.

Ivo

Established Member
Even though I do like the Play Off idea, I agree there isn't any real need. If people want to do it we can always do it separately, or via PM - for those of us who want a more competitive format, it's an extra element to battle in; for those who don't, no more complications...

Ninjask...... faster than Starmie ?

OK, you win. Assuming I don't OHKO it after its first move.

SS4

Established Member
Are we continuing the table from season 3 or starting afresh with it being a new season? Just had a look in the league table thread and the former seems to be the case

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
New season, new tables. :)

Chance for you to challenge at the top.

Ivo

Established Member
Are we continuing the table from season 3 or starting afresh with it being a new season? Just had a look in the league table thread and the former seems to be the case

That's just bb21 being lazy and copying an old table ;)

Might it be worth making a template?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
That's just bb21 being lazy and copying an old table ;)

Might it be worth making a template?

It is me being lazy. Copying an old table preserves spacing between numbers. Setting up a template is just an unnecessary extra task on top. ;)

andrew bell

Am I the only one who'd rather keep TPL a nice, straightforward, enjoyable competition without all this play off and changes like were proposed in the summer? For me this is just a bit of fun that I don't treat overly seriously, but I fear with all these proposals it's just becoming way too serious and far too competitive, I thought this was all meant to be a nice friendly bit of football prediction?

If this play off thing does happen, can I ask for my record to be disregarded please? I really don't like the direction this is all taking.

I was the person who originally suggested a playoff system at the end of season as an end of season special for the highest scorers in TPL during the season, it would then make weeks 16-20 bit more meaningful for people who are in position 4-7 to try and get perfect scores rather than saying oh this will do. But if there are more than about 1/3rd of people who are unhappy about it I feel we should scrap the playoff idea.

I didn't say we must have a playoff, I mearly suggested it and wanted to know what others thought about it
I just thought about games which have been either abandoned or postponed after we submitted our scores, do the away goal tally get recalculated to match the true scores or is it just left as it is?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I just thought about games which have been either abandoned or postponed after we submitted our scores, do the away goal tally get recalculated to match the true scores or is it just left as it is?

They are not recalculated. Calculations are mainly done manually and i am unable to spare more time especially during busier times. In addition, I thought this added to the slight unpredictability of the bonuses so all part of the fun. :)

We have a bit of a crude mechanism at the moment. It hasn't broken down yet. (Thank god. :))
So my idea was to have a separate subforum for TPL/football threads, to save having to hunt for any one of five threads in GD?

Five threads won't warrant a new subforum so that's a no-go I'm afraid. The best I can think of is maybe to bookmark them.

atomicdanny

Just noticed that there are no round 3 fixtures up yet? I was only curious really and was going to do them earlier just in case i don't get a chance too before the deadline?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Just noticed that there are no round 3 fixtures up yet? I was only curious really and was going to do them earlier just in case i don't get a chance too before the deadline?

Round 3 won't be until 9th January so that the games are spaced out a bit. They will be out in the next couple of days so don't worry.

Ivo

Established Member
Round 3 won't be until 9th January so that the games are spaced out a bit. They will be out in the next couple of days so don't worry.

I trust that the codes I used (because I was being lazy :p) are easy enough to understand?

Also, the 9th is a Wednesday. The Friday is on the 11th. Everyone should also note that next weekend is of course FA Cup weekend.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
My apologies for the inaction during the last week or so. Round 3 is of course on Saturday 12th. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

David

Established Member
Hmm .... I wonder how many games will go ahead this Saturday. Widesprread snow forecast from Friday morning onwards .....

CallySleeper

Established Member
Are those who predict games far in advance put at a disadvantage to those who leave it until the deadline and may already know which games will be postponed and can 'adjust' their submission accordingly?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
One thing I would like to suggest is postponed games not being disregarded totally, instead counting them in the Round in which the rescheduled fixture is played, for example, if one of this Round's fixtures takes place a week on Tusday, the points for it are added to next week's totals. I know it's a bit complex and potentailly unfair as far as total away goals / attendance goes, but it adds an extra twist and means predictions aren't totally voided.

David

Established Member
No, I think it's fine as it is, after all, this is only a bit of fun, with the only prize on offer, bragging rights .....

If there is a cold snap (such as now) which means several games will be postponed, it makes things difficult enough, as you have to try and work out which games you think will be called off, and which games will remain.

Sometimes, games that are postponed, are not played until far later in the season, which would mean that the Season 3 tables would not be finalised until season 4 (for example).

SS4

Established Member
No, I think it's fine as it is, after all, this is only a bit of fun, with the only prize on offer, bragging rights .....

If there is a cold snap (such as now) which means several games will be postponed, it makes things difficult enough, as you have to try and work out which games you think will be called off, and which games will remain.

Sometimes, games that are postponed, are not played until far later in the season, which would mean that the Season 3 tables would not be finalised until season 4 (for example).

I agree. It does affect aggregate attendance and away goals but, unlike rail tickets, there is no punishment for a late submission

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Are those who predict games far in advance put at a disadvantage to those who leave it until the deadline and may already know which games will be postponed and can 'adjust' their submission accordingly?

Not quite. As several of us found out, not submitting your entry until late would make you more likely to forget completely, so swings and roundabouts.

I did previously think about not voiding fixtures, however hesistated due to similar concerns as those raised by David. I don't really have a better alternative at the moment, unfortunately.

In other news, I will update the results tonight. I have had a pretty hectic few weeks so not really had a chance.
I think I know the reason why David is keen for things to remain as they are - he is leading by 13 points as of the end of Round 3! ;)

David

Established Member
I haven't been keeping track of anyone's scores, instead keeping an eye on the scores of picked matches, so me leading is news to me as well! Anyway, looking at the results of the matches that did go ahead in round 4, I don't think I'll be leading for now ....

Anyway, my thinking behind leaving the game as it is, is that at the end of the day, it is only a bit of fun, why make it over/too complicated?

Status
Not open for further replies.