• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

train driver kicks a selfie taking teen in the head

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
Thread title copied from article title.

I believe 105.9 is a UK radio station, but the train is either industrial or non-uk.

"The selfie-taking craze has gotten so out of control members of the public are taking the law into their own hands.

This teenager thought it would be fun to take a picture of himself just a leeeeeeetle bit too close to the train tracks – but the driver of the train was not amused.

He showed his lack of amusement with a swift kick to the noggin!"

Note to those who are alarmed by the thread title: the driver is totally innocent!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Just watched the video. About 20 cm from the side of the train. Very dangerous and could have ended very badly. Hopefully it taught him a lesson to be nowhere near the railway line in the future!

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
The video is somewhere on the internet. I think the conductor could have potentially inflicted some serious damage and shouting or use of the horn would have been more appropriate.

dk1

Veteran Member
But was his hair still ok afterwards? The numpty had earphones in too :roll:

PermitToTravel

Established Member
I am with this Reddit user in doubting that that piece of metal would have made contact:

2WT7hmp.png

PermitToTravel

Established Member
It looks like large enough a margin that I don't think the conductor kicked him in the head for altruistic reasons.
edit: Indeed, rewatching the video, you can see the conductor's (or whoever kicked him) leg swing back by quite some way. I maintain my original position - that both are absolute planks.

Last edited:

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Apparently this was in Peru, and the train goes at a maximum speed on 17mph. I can't remember the details, though.

Howardh

Established Member
Think it's about time anyone taking a selfie faced the death penalty. The worst types are those documentaries on television where the commentator has a held-hand camera and keeps turning it to his face.

"And here are the Victoria Falls but I know you'd rather see may face looking at them".

Berks.

BestWestern

Established Member
Howardh:1771842 said:
Think it's about time anyone taking a selfie faced the death penalty. The worst types are those documentaries on television where the commentator has a held-hand camera and keeps turning it to his face.

"And here are the Victoria Falls but I know you'd rather see may face looking at them".

Berks.

The Victoria Falls definitely aren't in Berkshire! :D

sbt

And if the kick had actually caused the person to fall under the train?

An absolutely moronic thing for both of them to do.

Given that shouts and the horn hadn't worked the Conductor would have had to make a judgement call.

For the sake of argument, if he believed that without the kick there was an 80% chance of the bystander being dragged under the train and there was a 30% chance of the kick going awry and the bystander ending up under the train anyway then his actions wouldn't have been at all moronic. He had a few moments to make a life and death decision and luckily it turned out Ok, with the additional benefit that half the world has now been warned of one of the dangers of standing to close to a passing train.

Oh, and the point is not whether forensic examination of the video appears to show that the bystander was or was not going to be hit by part of the train. It is whether the Conductor had reasonable cause to believe, from his vantage point, that the bystander was going to be hit by that part of the train, or any part of the train that doesn't appear in the video.

Alternatively the Conductor did it for kicks, or out of annoyance, in which case he is indeed a moron.

455driver

Veteran Member
If the berk is within easy kicking distance then he is too close to the train!

Monty

Established Member
It doesnt actually look like a kick, looks more like the shunters foot just hanging off the edge?

This was my thought also, I've seen the video a number of times and I remain to be convinced it was intentional. It merely looks like the shunter, conductor or whoever just clipped him because the fool was far too close to the railway line.

Last edited:

overtonchris

If the berk is within easy kicking distance then he is too close to the train!

This quite simply is it and correct..... "would the metally thing been in line to spike him through the noggin'" or "was there awful / evil intent on the railway employee's behalf to get stuck in"...."Was the following load wider than the loco" is a bit irrelevant. The stupid Barn-pot should be nowhere near a railway (or road?) acting so bloody stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.