• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Driver Medicals

Status
Not open for further replies.

broomster

Hi,
Can anyone who's gone through a medical for any TOC in the recruitment process for trainee driver assist please?

Is high blood pressure something they're likely to fail you on? I had a reading done a while ago, and the doctor said it was quite high, not to the point of needing medication though.

I'm making the effort to change my lifestyle by cycling to work, cutting back on alcohol ( though to be fair, I rarely drink more than a pint on an evening anyway) and generally trying to eat healthier to lose a bit of weight..

Has anyone been failed for having high blood pressure after passing all the assessments or even been accepted despite having high blood pressure?

I'm wondering if I'll be wasting my time and theirs by going through all this, and then failing or should I wait a while and see if I can lower it naturally before going through the recruitment process?

Cheers,
Mike.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
Hi,
Is high blood pressure something they're likely to fail you on? I had a reading done a while ago, and the doctor said it was quite high, not to the point of needing medication though.
Easy answer is yes but it depends how high the numbers are and if there are any underlying reasons.

broomster

I think the last reading was 140/80 or thereabouts... Is that deemed excessively high?

I think the main reason for it is my BMI of 31. I'm 6 ft tall and weigh 16.5st.. I'm taking steps to lose some of this, so hopefully that, along with more exercise and improved diet will bring it down..

455driver

Veteran Member
Thats BP is not high!

You will be fine with those stats as long as your heart rate/beat, hearing and sight are okay, stop worrying.

Latecomer

Agreed. You'll be fine on that and with that BMI. Still work to get as healthy as you can and if you do interval-type exercise on the morning of your medical that reduces your BP further for a couple of hours.

A-driver

Established Member
High blood pressure is quite common with train driver medicals and is often put down to 'white coat syndrome'. Most people get high blood pressure as they know that they could have problems with their job if they find an issue. It's only an issue if it is very high or if there are other issues with it. They would probably just send you to your gp to keep an eye in it if its too high.

shedman

I worked with a driver who was passed through his medical with high blood pressure. He was given simple medication and every month had to take a day off and wear a machine on his arm that checked his pressure every hour. He then went back for a medical to check on his progress.

broomster

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go back to my gp and get another reading, and see what it is now. I've yet to get to the medical stage, but as I've got a set of assessment passes under my belt, I feel it's only a matter of time (hopefully!) Lol.

All I can do is stop worrying (5-10 points off the bp?) and do what I'm doing already :)

Cheers :)

Vicpaul

I'm sure the margins for southern was anything over 150 which mine was (white coat syndrome)

As stated your seems fine so I wouldn't worry to much

lvaxb24

Beetroot juice , a glass a day should lower the bp but to be fair your readings are not too high anyway.

Withnailandi

My bp was high and i took medication and bought a monitor, my bp is only high at the quacks, 130/80. The thing is, i told the medical people what i was taking and they said it seems to be working and didn't care. Medical passed.

TDK

Established Member
Beetroot juice , a glass a day should lower the bp but to be fair your readings are not too high anyway.

Thats fine but when you take the wee wee test it will be red :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I worked with a driver who was passed through his medical with high blood pressure. He was given simple medication and every month had to take a day off and wear a machine on his arm that checked his pressure every hour. He then went back for a medical to check on his progress.

Was this driver already in the job or a new entrant?

Dano28

Make sure you have sat for at least 10mins before the reading as well this will help, it should never be taken for example straight away having driven to the docs to get there booked in and then straight in (not that ever happens at the gp's ). Good luck.

TDK

Established Member
My bp was high and i took medication and bought a monitor, my bp is only high at the quacks, 130/80. The thing is, i told the medical people what i was taking and they said it seems to be working and didn't care. Medical passed.

Keeping off caffein and nicotine helps as well

broomster

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Caffeine is probably my worst enemy, I only drink cold drinks, can't stand tea or coffee, and my drink of choice has been Coke.. That's changed and I'm on squash at home or orange juice whilst out.. Will try the beetroot juice as that seems a common way of reducing it, and have invested in a home monitor..

Thanks for taking the time to reply all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.