Train Struck a Deer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,366
Location
Cardiff
Last night the 21:05 TPE service from Leeds to Hull struck a deer between Selby and Wressle, with me on board! As I was sat right at the front, I felt the full force of the impact, a huge jolt at the right hand side and a large bang. I didn't know what on earth had happened but we began to slow down straight away and came to a halt in Wressle station, where the driver and guard alighted to phone Network Rail and check for damage. About 18 minutes later we started moving again and arrived into Hull only 13 down.

Must have been a huge shock for the driver, would certainly make you a bit weary if travelling at night in the future. Has anybody else here experienced an incident like this?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ben

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
999
All Credit to the Driver for not Terminating the Service.

Im pleased to say ive never experianced anything like this. :)
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,376
Had something similar three or four years ago, but replace 'deer' for 'small van' :shock:. Naturally the train couldn't continue in service, so we were eventually detrained and put on a coach (complete with police/ambulance escort for the first few miles)

If there was a (human) fatality involved, then it's not really the driver's decision whether to terminate the service or not!
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,871
158 said:
All Credit to the Driver for not Terminating the Service.

Im pleased to say ive never experianced anything like this. :)
It was only a Deer for christ sake, it's not like Tiny Tim came running out of the bushes into the path of the train.
 

beermaddavep

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2005
Messages
633
Location
East Durham
Many years ago was on a HST that hit a man crossing the tracks just outside Hartlepool (that shows just how many years ago!) on the way to Sunderland in the evening. We were delayed by about 2 hours whilst waiting for the cops to attend, fortunatly the man wasn't killed, the train continued in service with the guard wandering the carriages making jokes about picking up severed arms and legs:-0
Quite how anyone could fail to notice a 125 accellerating at full chat leaving a station is beyond me, the local papers later reported that the guy (who sustained multiple broken bones) was fined by BR for trespassing.....
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,871
Where are the men that in the old days of steam would have thought nothing of hitting a sheep at 80mph, wouldnt have even stopped till the next box to inform the bobby that there would be fine steamed leg of lamb for supper.

Dead, that's where they are.

*edit*

Bit like the deer really.
 

The 158 Man

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2006
Messages
554
Location
UK
Come on Jamie, show a bit of consideration for the driver. If you're not expecting something like that to happen it can shake you up a bit.

I'm sure if the same thing happened to yourself, you'd maybe change your mind. :happy8:
 

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,835
Location
Gdansk
Jamie said:
Where are the men that in the old days of steam would have thought nothing of hitting a sheep at 80mph, wouldnt have even stopped till the next box to inform the bobby that there would be fine steamed leg of lamb for supper.

Dead, that's where they are.

*edit*

Bit like the deer really.
Sorry but I find that post hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

Nick W

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2005
Messages
1,438
Location
Cambridge
I was on a ONE IC train struck by a deer. The poor deer suffered and the driver sounded shakey :(.

The 90 had a big dent but the driver decided to take it onwards to Colchester where it was terminated in platform 4 (allowing london trains to pass) awaiting a fitter.
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,464
Location
Leighton Buzzard
Nick W said:
I was on a ONE IC train struck by a deer. The poor deer suffered and the driver sounded shakey :(.

The 90 had a big dent but the driver decided to take it onwards to Colchester where it was terminated in platform 4 (allowing london trains to pass) awaiting a fitter.
Oh deer...
 

class 313

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2005
Messages
6,477
Location
St Albans
I was on a 319 city flier to kings x from st albans and we hit multiple birds... The 319 was cleaned up and carried on. But the front wasnt very nice to look at if your screamish.
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,871
The 158 Man said:
Come on Jamie, show a bit of consideration for the driver. If you're not expecting something like that to happen it can shake you up a bit.

I'm sure if the same thing happened to yourself, you'd maybe change your mind. :happy8:
I just dont see why people think a Driver is a hero cause he decided to take the train a few more stops down the line, and upon arrival at the terminus he should be awarded with an MBE for services to the country. It's bloody stupid.
 

Sprog

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2005
Messages
1,315
Location
SPM
Jamie: you brag about being a guard and all this junk, yet you dont consider if your flying along at speed i the dark/dusk and you pick up 'something' in your headlights followed by a massive 'BANG', no doubt youd probably s**t yourself.

oh, and one day when your 20-hauled train mows down sum little kid on the GC, and you have to walk the track to find the body - but find 'limbs', methinks you might take back that silly 'tiny tim' post. ive seen a suicide, it aint pretty. Also know a driver whos mowed down 6 platelayers, killing 4 out-right. Nasty, nasty business.

Coxster: They are mostly asked if they are "ok to continue?"

beermaddavep: Serves the bloke right...shouldnt have been there in the first place.

158 dude: "here, here!"

Nick: shut up

Jordy: :lol:

Lesjordans: Proof? Evidence? Fact, or are you just frothing?

Jamie, again :roll:: who called him a hero? i think 158s point was that he did a good job.
 

Lewisham2221

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2005
Messages
1,014
Location
Staffordshire
You do talk some crap at times Jamie.

I'd imagine that hitting a deer at any reasonable speed could easily cause damage to the train, and potentially also pose a derailment risk to other trains dependant on where it ended up after being hit. In this case it sounds like it was a bit more of a glancing blow, but still...

And as for the 'it was only a deer not a person', maybe so, but I imagine that some sort of 'what if it was a person' scenario would be going through the drivers head.
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,871
The way I see it, if you hit somebody then it was their fault for not being aware of the risks imposed when being around a railway. So you have no reason to feel guilt, there's no point curling up into a ball and wishing you were dead cause you rammed some chav up the **** with a buckeye.
 

Lesjordans

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
353
Location
Glasgow
Sprog said:
Lesjordans: Proof? Evidence? Fact, or are you just frothing?
No sunshine, i aint just frothing, i was on the train, last year Jan/Feb it happened at Garelochhead station, google it or something , only made a local newspaper
 

Guinness

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2005
Messages
3,737
Question is, How did the Deer got onto Trackside? Gap in the fence or perhaps it jumped over it. :reindeer:
[EDIT]
Sprog said:
Jamie: you brag about being a guard and all this junk, yet you dont consider if your flying along at speed i the dark/dusk and you pick up 'something' in your headlights followed by a massive 'BANG', no doubt youd probably s**t yourself.

oh, and one day when your 20-hauled train mows down sum little kid on the GC, and you have to walk the track to find the body - but find 'limbs', methinks you might take back that silly 'tiny tim' post. ive seen a suicide, it aint pretty. Also know a driver whos mowed down 6 platelayers, killing 4 out-right. Nasty, nasty business.

Coxster: They are mostly asked if they are "ok to continue?"

beermaddavep: Serves the bloke right...shouldnt have been there in the first place.

158 dude: "here, here!"

Nick: shut up

Jordy: :lol:

Lesjordans: Proof? Evidence? Fact, or are you just frothing?

Jamie, again :roll:: who called him a hero? i think 158s point was that he did a good job.
Calm Down Sprog, take a can of Boddingtons outside and relax. :)
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,376
Lesjordans said:
So what made it de-rail then? :s
If the sprung points haven't, well, sprung back to the normal position correctly after a trailing move, the points indicator won't light up. The purpose of the points indicator is to tell the driver that the points have detected normal, and he shouldn't pass it unless it's lit up. The fact that it wasn't lit up then, suggests that the points weren't normal for whatever reason...and that'll be why you fell off!
 

Ben

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
999
Back on Topic Please Chaps.

Jamie its not what gets hit that causes Emotional Trauma its the fact that the Train has hit Something whether it be a Bird or a Person
 

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,871
I dont see drivers having a nervous breakdown cause they've just crushed a sparrow.

And this is on topic, it's discussing a deer being smashed by a train and the driver being hailed a hero, being knighted by the queen, and having a brass band play him into Hull station cause he had the guts to continue on in service. Hip hip hooray all around!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top