• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raul_Duke

Two years ago I got through to the dmi and missed out by 2 points and now I'm not good enough to get to that stage though I know of other people who haven't got through the paper sift on several occasions but are through to the dmi this time. Nothing personal and I wish you the best but this system encourages people to learn to pass an interview rather than being the right person for the job.

Maybe you could write to HR and give them some tips on how to improve the recruitment process.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wantacab

Maybe you could write to HR and give them some tips on how to improve the recruitment process.

Maybe I should, though do you think they would listen and take feedback? :-/

1% of companies in the world use speed interviews because of how it ineffective they are

Does anybody know if there are still interviews ongoing this week or will all of you lovely people who have been interviewed already be expecting news today?[/QUOTE]

I believe all were done last week. A very nervous wait.

Dynamonic

Yeah, I was told that all interviews were taking place over the one week, so they are all done now.
I believe we’ll find out tomorrow, as Stage 4 is due to take place from Tuesday 5th December. (According to the timescales)

EastMidsMatt

I got an email just now, I'm through to stage 4! I am stunned...genuinely thought I'd messed up the DMI. AAARRGHHH!!!

EastMidsMatt

Well done mate! Get practising for your next interview in my opinion it's by far the hardest
Thanks. I really don't know what to expect from stage 4?? Someone has said recently that 96% pass stage 4 these days? Either way I'm determined to get into the talent pool having made it this far. By the way, are you the signaller chap from the group interview, the boxer??

Thanks. I really don't know what to expect from stage 4?? Someone has said recently that 96% pass stage 4 these days? Either way I'm determined to get into the talent pool having made it this far. By the way, are you the signaller chap from the group interview, the boxer??
I think his name is the give-away-

Scouse_scott

Yes that's me Ha, so I think the stat someone tried to quoat was after emt have evaluated you at the dmi stage they have picked people they see as worthy candidates and should pass the opc interview( 97%) . I can't find any evidence that this is true tho. I have sat 2 opc interviews and 3 driver managers interviews (including this emt one) and the opc interview is alot harder and easier to mess up if you just say the wrong thing once.
I don't mean to scare anyone. I just want everyone to succeed so get practising for that opc interview

baz962

Established Member
Yes that's me Ha, so I think the stat someone tried to quoat was after emt have evaluated you at the dmi stage they have picked people they see as worthy candidates and should pass the opc interview( 97%) . I can't find any evidence that this is true tho. I have sat 2 opc interviews and 3 driver managers interviews (including this emt one) and the opc interview is alot harder and easier to mess up if you just say the wrong thing once.
I don't mean to scare anyone. I just want everyone to succeed so get practising for that opc interview

Dont agree with that mate i passed all tests including mmi with opc but failed dmi, Which i thought i did better as i was worried about mmi. As a side note the paper and pencil tests can be enhanced Which mine were but the comp tests at opc are not. Hope this helps and good luck all.

Scouse_scott

Dont agree with that mate i passed all tests including mmi with opc but failed dmi, Which i thought i did better as i was worried about mmi. As a side note the paper and pencil tests can be enhanced Which mine were but the comp tests at opc are not. Hope this helps and good luck all.

Have you told Marie you've got your opc stage two passed already ?

EastMidsMatt

It's hard to say what Stage 2 is going to be like, or what is going to be looked for in us on Friday, as no one has done it before.
From the email, it's important to be enthusiastic about the role (I think we all pass there, right? :lol:) and 'Open minded'. All we can do is be ourselves, as MattVick just said.

The DMI at Stage 3 is definitely the biggest hurdle, from what I can see with recent recruitment for this role, and the Multi-Modal Interview (MMI) at Stage 4 is quite tough too. (Although EMT says Stage 4 now has a 96% pass rate since they started doing the DMI at Stage 3, before the Stage 4 computer tests and MMI)
Dynamonic, I'm interested in the above paragraph and your comments regarding stage 4. Do you think it is still the case that the pass rate will be quite high? Or do emt keep moving the goal posts!

baz962

Established Member
Dynamonic, I'm interested in the above paragraph and your comments regarding stage 4. Do you think it is still the case that the pass rate will be quite high? Or do emt keep moving the goal posts!

Is stage four the opc computer tests

baz962

Established Member
Yep, and the multi-modal interview.

Is it an all-day affair or will there be AM and PM sessions?

I was at the opc for 9 am . They get you to write down your examples for mmi, then set you up on a pc. You press start when you are ready and the first test starts and when it ends you take as long as you like , tho they say to do it in a reasonable time, then when you are ready for test two you press to start, then again for 3. You also do sjt and it is not a pass or fail it helps them shape your'e mmi.They send you out and mark them and then tell you if you passed . By the way less than half my group passed day one and all my group on day two passed.They sent us out for about half hour then did mmi , mine was first so i was done by half one , and they told me the quickest is about twenty mins and some people are in for an hour and half. We also did a written comprehension test as gtr want that .

I was at the opc for 9 am . They get you to write down your examples for mmi, then set you up on a pc. You press start when you are ready and the first test starts and when it ends you take as long as you like , tho they say to do it in a reasonable time, then when you are ready for test two you press to start, then again for 3. You also do sjt and it is not a pass or fail it helps them shape your'e mmi.They send you out and mark them and then tell you if you passed . By the way less than half my group passed day one and all my group on day two passed.They sent us out for about half hour then did mmi , mine was first so i was done by half one , and they told me the quickest is about twenty mins and some people are in for an hour and half. We also did a written comprehension test as gtr want that .

I agree from what i have read the pass rate for this section does seem much higher than the initial testing with the dots.

Dynamonic

Stage 4 definitely has a far higher pass rate than Stage 1, and I would say that everyone invited to it has already demonstrated the ability to pass it by their progress so far.
If you’re a gamer who plays a lot of fast-paced twitch reaction games, then I would say you are in an especially great place with the computer tests.

The MMI is definitely where the real challenge is. You’ve got to convince the independent OPC assessor that you have the experience and ability to safely take control of what are essentially potential giant killing machines.
By passing the DMI, EMT reckon we’ve got the experience needed for the role and the Stage 4 assessment. (see the video again towards the end)

The important thing now is that we don’t get too overconfident and cocky with the final hurdle and make sure we put in all the effort to make sure we all get to embrace the nice warm crystal pools of talent. :lol:

Also, remember, there is no Enhanced Standard for these tests. :)

Stage 4 definitely has a far higher pass rate than Stage 1, and I would say that everyone invited to it has already demonstrated the ability to pass it by their progress so far.
If you’re a gamer who plays a lot of fast-paced twitch reaction games, then I would say you are in an especially great place with the computer tests.

The MMI is definitely where the real challenge is. You’ve got to convince the independent OPC assessor that you have the experience and ability to safely take control of what are essentially potential giant killing machines.
By passing the DMI, EMT reckon we’ve got the experience needed for the role and the Stage 4 assessment. (see the video again towards the end)

The important thing now is that we don’t get too overconfident and cocky with the final hurdle and make sure we put in all the effort to make sure we all get to embrace the nice warm crystal pools of talent. :lol:

Also, remember, there is no Enhanced Standard for these tests. :)

I would agree with the comments on computer games, but only to an extent. What you need for the joystick test is just a very stable pair of hands. I think you have to move the ball round a track 3 times. One chap when i was there took twice as long as everyone else, buzzed loads of time (ball left the track - mistake) yet he still passed.

The test i found trickier was the observation test - you literally get a quarter of a second to view an image and say what was there!

Dynamonic

It seems possible we could be doing the Written Communication Test too. (This is often left out of EMT’s process)

In our Stage 4 email, Marie mentions that the relevant pages are ‘41-82’ of our practice material, which happens to include the Written Communication Test.

I’m going to be practicing that too, just in case it crops up on the day. :)

We might not end up doing it, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. Maybe we’ll get more information once we get the second email later today.

Last edited:
It seems possible we could be doing the Written Communication Test too. (This is often left out of EMT’s process)

In our Stage 4 email, Marie mentions that the relevant pages are ‘41-82’ of our practice material, which happens to include the Written Communication Test.

I’m going to be practicing that too, just in case it crops up on the day. :)

We might not end up doing it, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. Maybe we’ll get more information once we get the second email later today.

Good spot.u

baz962

Established Member
Good spot.u

The traffic observation one i think is a second not a quarter and you can find it on you tube. You have to find 5 things , for us and assuming the same was 1. Traffic signs which include Place names 2. Pedestrians. 3. Cars. 4. Bikes including bicycles as well as motor bikes.5. Traffic lights. The ball round the maze was ten times on 3 attempts i stayed in the lines and on 7 i went out the lines , the right joystick goes up and down and the left one left and right and if you let go they centralize.

Scouse_scott

I would agree with the comments on computer games, but only to an extent. What you need for the joystick test is just a very stable pair of hands. I think you have to move the ball round a track 3 times. One chap when i was there took twice as long as everyone else, buzzed loads of time (ball left the track - mistake) yet he still passed.

The test i found trickier was the observation test - you literally get a quarter of a second to view an image and say what was there!

I found the traffic observation the most uncomfortable to sit. I can't say if I was doing particularly good or bad on the day because its so quick and you always doubt yourself in what you saw or didn't see (I did pass btw)

The traffic observation one i think is a second not a quarter and you can find it on you tube. You have to find 5 things , for us and assuming the same was 1. Traffic signs which include Place names 2. Pedestrians. 3. Cars. 4. Bikes including bicycles as well as motor bikes.5. Traffic lights. The ball round the maze was ten times on 3 attempts i stayed in the lines and on 7 i went out the lines , the right joystick goes up and down and the left one left and right and if you let go they centralize.

You are allowed 10 mistakes you reckon? Must be more than that i reckon, there was some serious hooting going on round the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.