• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda

My level of academic intelligence is nearly zero lol.....the questions weren’t impossible but needed time to work out....which you dont have on the tests. If you register with shl you can do unlimited practice papers. If I had known they were going to extend the deadline I would of practised more.

An quick example of a question is...

If sales are £120m for year 1 and you have 20% increase for next three years, what the percentage difference between year 1 and 3

I found them really hard. The numeracy questions, a lot of them are straightforward like you say but take time... I rushed the last few and answered the very last one with only 8 seconds to spare! :oops:

The English language ones... I am very much a linguist and am good at comprehension but even I found it hard, and I think a couple of times I wasn't sure whether something was "false" or "cannot say". Still I finished them with a few minutes to spare.

I'm just glad I left the personality test to the end, although I do worry my answers will convey the wrong impression! But it's hard to know what impression you've made with it to be honest! :E

The hardest thing is the time constraint, it literally drains away before your eyes, and I guess the point is to see how you react under pressure. Anyway I can't change it now!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Optimist

At the one I attended in January this year it was: build a tower out of newspaper, a prioritising task (you work as.... In a.... How would you prioritise the following duties....), then speed interviews (which I had not been expecting, it wasn't mentioned on any of the e-mails EMT had sent me) consisting of 3 different questions.

It was surprisingly enjoyable!

I'm expecting it to be different this time round so don't take my word that it will be as I described....!
Thankyou

Wizzy_896

Hey Guys, I got the email asking to bring certificates before anything else, so replied to it and they then sent through about the day tomorrow any idea what it’ll consist of as the email doesn’t really tell you anything? And do we find out how well we did on the tests? I know I passed but it would be nice to see if I just made it or actually did awesome on them

LaursP

Hey Guys, I got the email asking to bring certificates before anything else, so replied to it and they then sent through about the day tomorrow any idea what it’ll consist of as the email doesn’t really tell you anything? And do we find out how well we did on the tests? I know I passed but it would be nice to see if I just made it or actually did awesome on them

Hi, if you go back a few pages to post #1493 and post #1494 there is some really useful information about the day tomorrow. I have attended this day and what has been written is accurate.
Good luck tomorrow :)

Amanda

I too wish everyone attending today the best of luck! Let us know how it all goes, folks!

I'm on the afternoon one. And I'm pretty nervous. I also need to not forget I need to get passport pictures done, that's the one thing I'm likely to forget....

Wizzy, you never get to find out how well you did on the stage 1 tests, you either get invited to stage 2 or you don't, however it's important to remember EMT require candidates pass to the enhanced standard so there's a good chance you did better than "just pass".

Clarabella31

I hope everything's gone well for everyone today. I've just received an email informing me that I've passed stage 1 and that they are arranging dates in January for the next stage of assessments

Hazza

I hope everything's gone well for everyone today. I've just received an email informing me that I've passed stage 1 and that they are arranging dates in January for the next stage of assessments
I’m the same!
Hopefully they’ll let us know soon so can arrange work around it.
Congrats !

Amanda

Wow, I'm so glad you are finally getting to hear! And so far, positive news for you!

I'm on my way home from the assessments. Like last time, I have no idea how I did. Stuffed up one assessment by missing the beginning, but overall I don't think I was terrible.

Two things:

It was really nice to meet @Ontherails!

The number of women there was astonishing. When I did the same assessments in March, I was one of only about 4 women. This time there was about 4 or 5 times that. Still a majority of blokes I'd say but not that far off it being level pegging. Good to see!

Hazza

I’m glad to hear your day went okay.

What kinda of things did you have to do?

Excellent news re the increase in females attending!

Wow, I'm so glad you are finally getting to hear! And so far, positive news for you!

I'm on my way home from the assessments. Like last time, I have no idea how I did. Stuffed up one assessment by missing the beginning, but overall I don't think I was terrible.

Two things:

The number of women there was astonishing. When I did the same assessments in March, I was one of only about 4 women. This time there was about 4 or 5 times that. Still a majority of blokes I'd say but not that far off it being level pegging. Good to see!

Ontherails

Two things:

It was really nice to meet you too Amanda! I also have no idea how I did today so have got everything crossed.
Congratulations to those who have just found out they passed stage 1 and good luck for the next stage :)

Amanda

I’m glad to hear your day went okay.

What kinda of things did you have to do?

Excellent news re the increase in females attending!

Hey Hazza,

It was the same format as previously described - 2 group exercises (build a tower out of newspaper + on this occasion a memory exercise) followed by speed interviews (3 questions to be answered in 1 minute each). There was a Q&A session afterwards, which they didn't have last time and which was really useful.

Well done everyone for passing stage one and me being one of them!! Can't stop grinning . I hope everyone got on well who had their 2nd assessment today aswell

With the speed interviews. Is it the new candidates asking the questions between eachother or do the assessors ask them?

Amanda

I forgot to mention that @Ontherails and I got locked in the building yesterday and had to knock on a nearby office door to get someone to come and let us out! :oops:

In answer to the question above, the assessors ask the questions. It's not a group activity.

JDMFTW

I was starting to think maybe I’d failed however I just had my congratulations email, will be seeing everyone in January :D

Clarabella31

Two things:

Two things:

Two things:

Can you give us a rough idea of how many were there Amandala? Fab to hear so many women were there too

Amanda

Congrats to @JDMFTW on getting through! Going to have a nail-biting Christmas now, I bet!

Can you give us a rough idea of how many were there Amandala? Fab to hear so many women were there too

Errrr well this was the second stage and there were 5 tables, I think each table might have had... 5 people? So 25ish.

Clarabella31

Congrats to @JDMFTW on getting through! Going to have a nail-biting Christmas now, I bet!

Errrr well this was the second stage and there were 5 tables, I think each table might have had... 5 people? So 25ish.
Cheers and I apologise profusely for my phone auto correcting your name :)

Lopez

A newbie here, I too received the happy email yesterday saying I'd passed stage 1, over the moon with that

Busyboy89

Must of been your ‘interesting fact about yourself’ that made them put you through Oli haha

Amanda

Thanks @Amanda for clearing that up for me .
What questions did they ask you if you don't mind me asking just for a example.

To be honest, they were the sort of questions you'd expect, like what Scouse_Scott says. They might be different on the next assessment day. Prepare for the obvious, I'd say!

Amanda

Just recieved my email, assessment day passed and got my dmi 3rd Jan! Anyone else got an email yet?

Congratulations, Oli! 3rd January is really soon! o_O

Still no e-mail here, hopefully they just haven't scheduled me in yet and it's not because they're too busy sending the successful candidates' e-mails out to retire they send the rejections out.... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.