• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver Talent Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shunter44

Once you have been successful at all test stages and the DM interview and you are put in the talent pool, how long do people often have to wait before getting on to the training course ?
how long have you been in the talent pool for? i know it must vary, but id just like to hear peoples experience, thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tlionhart

Once you have been successful at all test stages and the DM interview and you are put in the talent pool, how long do people often have to wait before getting on to the training course ?
how long have you been in the talent pool for? i know it must vary, but id just like to hear peoples experience, thanks.

After my DM interview and hearing I was successful, I didn't hear back until mid Feb. I will be starting exactly a year to when I heard back from the DM interview.
I've heard some have waited less and some more.

Last edited:

Shunter44

thanks for the reply. thats a long time to wait after the good news from the DM interview.

johnsonr380

Ive been in the pool a year next week or so. Been full of ups and downs. Things are moving but at a snails pace.

Last edited:

Johncleesefan

The talent pool is a cruel and unforgiving place. You are practically touching the contract but its just out of reach. I found it difficult to plan my life as everything revolved around the possibility of "what if". Good luck to those still swimming. I wish you the best of luck.
I was in the pool from June last year til Feb this year and that's considered a short stay I believe.

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
A word of advice regarding talent pools, you need to ask the question on how many people have been in talent pools to see the company they are waiting for re-recruit for trainee drivers and not contact them.

As mentioned before, there have been occasions when companies place potential candidates into a so called "talent pool" (I hate this phrase), re-recruit, find that the candidates applying are a better choice than the ones in the talent pools and employ them, the reason that anyone goes into a talent pool in the first place if vacancies are filled is that they didn't reach the quality grade of the individuals that got the jobs.

Sorry if you don't like this but it is better to post facts rather than what you think happens.

tlionhart

Other reasons can be the TOC are actually not looking to take anyone on at the time as they already have a dozen in training already. Meaning more trainees would be sitting around doing nothing until a DI comes free. Other reasons are to coincide with the tax year and HRs budget for the year. With that said, Johns right in saying its a cruel place. There are situations when you think you'll be called up but don't recieve a call/ letter and everyone else does. As TDK says because other candidates have a stronger application/interview. The challanging thing is saying 'don't give up hope' yet the candidate on hold hears nout and eventually doesn't get the job as it went to someone who had a better interview.
I'm really grateful to have been offered the job, which in a better hindsight makes me more enthusiastic about my new role. It's tough to get in, but easy to loose.

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Been in a pool three months and counting

Causing intense stress as no communication or guarantees
Yes booking time off is a headache

I have heard there will be courses and my interview went great but who knows. . Turned down an East Midlands depot driving interview as this is mainline

I recently went ahead with another interview but my heart wasn't in it as I really want the opportunity with my present company for a number of reasons
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was unsuccessful last year with freightliner and put all my efforts into passing the telephone interview and managers interview with my present company. . I thought great I've done it now doubt is creeping in..

Strange the DM interview I passed was much more intense than the freightliner one I failed. .no comp questions there though nervousness lack of sleep and time for preparation (stupidly assumed I'd failed mmi) got the better of me..
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In my situation worth noting no one has been offered places yet aside earlier applicants as hold status is the default though places will naturally go first to those with better scores

Last edited:

oxoneil

A word of advice regarding talent pools, you need to ask the question on how many people have been in talent pools to see the company they are waiting for re-recruit for trainee drivers and not contact them.

As mentioned before, there have been occasions when companies place potential candidates into a so called "talent pool" (I hate this phrase), re-recruit, find that the candidates applying are a better choice than the ones in the talent pools and employ them, the reason that anyone goes into a talent pool in the first place if vacancies are filled is that they didn't reach the quality grade of the individuals that got the jobs.

Sorry if you don't like this but it is better to post facts rather than what you think happens.

The longer my wait goes on (DM June 2014) the more I believe this is where I am. I've passed DM but possibly not well enough for them to want me, they continue to recruit internally, candidates perform better than I did and they jump over me. I'm slowly beginning to accept that I may never be contacted again.

TDK

Established Member
The longer my wait goes on (DM June 2014) the more I believe this is where I am. I've passed DM but possibly not well enough for them to want me, they continue to recruit internally, candidates perform better than I did and they jump over me. I'm slowly beginning to accept that I may never be contacted again.

It's not only the DM interview it's the whole thing from the application to the last interview, all except the DM interview are graded, I used to grade them from 1 - 10. If there is a talent pool with candidates who had less then the ones employed originally on many occasions the TOC will advertise again and if there are some of the new candidates who score higher than the ones in the talent pool they will get the jobs.

Unfortunately I would sooner not be in a talent pool and apply for jobs as they come up, this way an individual knows what is happening instead of being dangled on a piece of string. It is a cruel method in my opinion but all the TOC's do it.

oxoneil

It's not only the DM interview it's the whole thing from the application to the last interview, all except the DM interview are graded, I used to grade them from 1 - 10. If there is a talent pool with candidates who had less then the ones employed originally on many occasions the TOC will advertise again and if there are some of the new candidates who score higher than the ones in the talent pool they will get the jobs.

Unfortunately I would sooner not be in a talent pool and apply for jobs as they come up, this way an individual knows what is happening instead of being dangled on a piece of string. It is a cruel method in my opinion but all the TOC's do it.

Some idea of how well you've performed throughout the process would help to understand where you stand. I did ask after I'd finished DM but the response was "to be here you've clearly done alright so don't think about it." All people on hold want is a realistic prospect of whether they'll be contacted again or not, at least that way it removes any false optimism.

387star

On Moderation
Oxford hadn't been swallowed up yet with trainees though has it?

Am Oxford driver mentioned LTV courses March April and MAY confirmed

He was right with March and April

Oxford probably takes less than reading and padd

oxoneil

Oxford hadn't been swallowed up yet with trainees though has it?

Am Oxford driver mentioned LTV courses March April and MAY confirmed

He was right with March and April

Oxford probably takes less than reading and padd

I heard March, April then June.....

TomHaley

The above is why I was happy to take a Trainee DD role rather than wait in the talent pool. For me personally it was a big increase in pay and a good starting point, so was a no brainer, especially as I applied for DD and Mainline.

SHRUBS

Can anyone please help?
I have just passed the first test and interview to be a train driver. I’m looking for someone who has been in training for 12-18 months that I could buy the studying packs from. If anyone can help please give me a call on 07946510242.
Kind Regards.
Jon

oxoneil

I reckon you've got a 0% chance of that happening. Why would you want to buy them?

387star

On Moderation
Can anyone please help?
I have just passed the first test and interview to be a train driver. I’m looking for someone who has been in training for 12-18 months that I could buy the studying packs from. If anyone can help please give me a call on 07946510242.
Kind Regards.
Jon

Troll?

TDK

Established Member
Can anyone please help?
Kind Regards.
Jon

Why do you want to buy the training packs when you will get them for free when your start your job? I am very surprised you passed the tests and interview to be fair. You do not need to study prior to training as all the relevant training is supplied by your employer.

W230

Established Member
Can anyone please help?
I have just passed the first test and interview to be a train driver. I’m looking for someone who has been in training for 12-18 months that I could buy the studying packs from. If anyone can help please give me a call on 07946510242
You don't need to do any studying. Worry about getting the job first! :lol:

Mumbo

I passed the DM interview on 9th of March and GTR have told me I'll be put on the next course they schedule which should be end of April beginning of May. Apparently they've got a backlog and the successful candidates from Jan/Feb have only just started their course.

So waiting patiently.

l0c0m0t1ve

I passed the DM interview on 9th of March and GTR have told me I'll be put on the next course they schedule which should be end of April beginning of May. Apparently they've got a backlog and the successful candidates from Jan/Feb have only just started their course.

So waiting patiently.

Nice one.

How long after passing the assessment did you have the DM interview?

I received a letter yesterday telling me that I had passed all the assessments and they are now arranging DM interviews.

Also, any tips for the DM interview?

I assume it's more relaxed that the MMI?

Cheers.

red2005

Can anyone please help?
Kind Regards.
Jon

to be honest there is not much to study for prior to getting the job anyway! if you mean for the tests your toc should send you practice/studying material for those!

I've seen a few people on here over the years request all kinds of things before they have even got the job such as practice books for assessments right the way through to copies of the rule book!!......i am just about to pass out of my training and my advice to you is study what you need to study to get the job first!

if you have only passed 1 test and an interview i'm sorry to be blunt but you still have a LONG way to go! study the company,study the depot,study the traction,study the role,study interview techniques and anything to aid u getting the job but steer clear of studying for a training course that you may not even get on! remember you may still have hundreds of people in competition with you at this stage!

i can totally see why you may want to do this to give yourself a head start etc mate but 1 step at a time don't run before you can walk! when you get the job you will have more studying material than you will know what to do with and it will all be free!! :D

Last edited:

Pepperami

As of the advice on this thread, and many other threads on the forums, you do not need any training material, other than the ones you are sent in advance of the tests you will be required to complete on your assessment day

There is no point trying to learn things ahead of time, if I had read anything on the stuff I have covered in the last 5 weeks, I wouldn't have had a clue back then as to what the hell nearly all of the stuff meant.

It is given to you as and when required for a reason :)

Mumbo

Nice one.

How long after passing the assessment did you have the DM interview?

I received a letter yesterday telling me that I had passed all the assessments and they are now arranging DM interviews.

Also, any tips for the DM interview?

I assume it's more relaxed that the MMI?

Cheers.

It was about 3 weeks.

You will get similar questions during the DM as with the MMI, I personally found the MMI more relaxing but I think that is more down to the situation, the last hurdle so to speak. My interviewers were both really nice chaps as was my MMI interviewer which also helped.

You've already shown good competency by passing your MMI and you will get the chance to use the same examples but I would strongly advise you to brush up on the company, routes, stations, projects, CEO anything you can find out as you will be asked.

Good luck!

l0c0m0t1ve

It was about 3 weeks.

You will get similar questions during the DM as with the MMI, I personally found the MMI more relaxing but I think that is more down to the situation, the last hurdle so to speak. My interviewers were both really nice chaps as was my MMI interviewer which also helped.

You've already shown good competency by passing your MMI and you will get the chance to use the same examples but I would strongly advise you to brush up on the company, routes, stations, projects, CEO anything you can find out as you will be asked.

Good luck!

Thanks Mumbo.

I thought as much. I had an interview with Ocado once and they seemed very impressed that I knew where their head office was located! ;)

I have been familiarising myself with the routes/stations etc. as you suggested. :)

387star

On Moderation
I have a medical soon and then will go into a talent pool is having a medical normally a more reassuring sign?

Garyjames1701

I passed the whole process including the medical on 16th June, I'm in the talent pool but have heard nothing since....for GTR.

TDK

Established Member
I passed the whole process including the medical on 16th June, I'm in the talent pool but have heard nothing since....for GTR.

If you have had a medical and passed it you have a very strong chance of getting the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.