• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee drivers Freighliner HH

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoyDivision

If I'm overdressed then so be it, I'll just get rid of the tie :)

I haven't even looked into the actual location yet, I've the building when I'm passing through on the train home to Liverpool but never actually been there. Will have to look into that in a bit more detail...

Another thing, who is staying over in the hotel for the 5 weeks until Christmas week?

Ah yeah, I'm sure it'll be easy to find, as I don't think Gresty Road is too long and it's just off there; if you do get a better idea of where it is, please let me know.

I'm not staying over, as I live within an hour from Crewe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDF

Ah yeah, I'm sure it'll be easy to find, as I don't think Gresty Road is too long and it's just off there; if you do get a better idea of where it is, please let me know.

I'm not staying over, as I live within an hour from Crewe.

I might do a dummy run this week coming, I've got a week in limbo between jobs. I'm sure it'll be easy to find, just don't want any surprises on the Monday.

Wish it was tomorrow we were starting!

spesh

I'm in the holiday inn until December 20th and I believe we are back there after Christmas for another 5-7 weeks finish off rules and traction.

TDF

I'm in the holiday inn until December 20th and I believe we are back there after Christmas for another 5-7 weeks finish off rules and traction.

At least I'm not on my own then. Is your final depot going to be Crewe or somewhere else? 12 weeks sounds about right altogether in the hotel.

Lincoln_biker

I'll be joining you in digs. I intend to do a reccy when I get to Crewe, but I won't be there till about 11ish Sunday night. It's only a few miles according to google maps. Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting stuck into it all :) LB

gammyleg

I wonder how many jobs went to outsiders and how many to existing staff?

Do most Tocs favour existing staff as it encourages employees to be ambitious and be rewarded for loyalty etc.

I figured there was a lot of HH staff from the people I met in the waiting areas at the testing stages at Crewe and Watford too.

Any more intakes planned for next year?

JoyDivision

I might do a dummy run this week coming, I've got a week in limbo between jobs. I'm sure it'll be easy to find, just don't want any surprises on the Monday.

Wish it was tomorrow we were starting!

Sounds like a good plan, let us know how easy it is to find. Enjoy your week off and I look forward to meeting you and the others starting.

Same, the wait is killing me haha!

craig221

I've noticed that the postcode given for the first day takes you to a random place nowhere near Basford Hall sidings, where I assume it is - does anybody else know for sure where it is?

I thought it was left out of Crewe station, left down Gresty Road and then the entrance is left after a railway bridge, is this correct?

I picked up on that, if you check it with the letter-head addressee, it looks like they have made a mistake with the postcode.

class 9

Jeans and t shirt ill be wearing. No real need to dress up.

Not a good attitude to have before you've even started.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder how many jobs went to outsiders and how many to existing staff?

Do most Tocs favour existing staff as it encourages employees to be ambitious and be rewarded for loyalty etc.

I figured there was a lot of HH staff from the people I met in the waiting areas at the testing stages at Crewe and Watford too.

Any more intakes planned for next year?

I can only say about the Yorkshire area, a lot of the internals that had passed the assessments have had rejection letters. This has gone down like the proverbial lead balloon.
I don't know whether any 'off the street' applicants have been successful.

spesh

Not a good attitude to have before you've even started.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I can only say about the Yorkshire area, a lot of the internals that had passed the assessments have had rejection letters. This has gone down like the proverbial lead balloon.
I don't know whether any 'off the street' applicants have been successful.

After starting with DRS 2 years ago and turning up in a suit on my first day I was told I was over dressed, we will be issued with our uniform on the first day, I just feel you should be comfortable and wear clothing suitable for the classroom, didn't want to come across like I didn't care!

class 9

Fair enough, I just think its better to be slightly over dressed than under, as you don't know what your instructor will expect.
Were you a Trainman at DRS?

Last edited:

NinjaJihad

Had my medical today. All good, just waiting on urine test results. How long does this normally take to come back?

Is the 18th the first group starting or is there a training course already ongoing? Are you all at Crewe or is there a course at Ferrybridge to?

JoyDivision

Had my medical today. All good, just waiting on urine test results. How long does this normally take to come back?

Is the 18th the first group starting or is there a training course already ongoing? Are you all at Crewe or is there a course at Ferrybridge to?

Glad to hear it went well. It took about a week or so I think, but there was a slight delay whilst I was waiting for mine. I'm not sure on whether this is the first group or not, but I've not heard about one already started.

F1Fan

That is the first start date, the second group are starting the week after. Their induction is at Crewe for a week, then it's off to Ferrybridge for the rest of the training.

km1969

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone due to start either course in November has had to undergo a disclosure or any additional checks after passing the medical?

I'm interested to know whether its a case of passing the medical, flhh obtaining satisfactory references and you've got the job or whether there are more checks involved which will delay a contract being sent out?

Good luck to everyone starting in the next few weeks!

siw8158

Medical done.

Passed all the usual tests. Just DnD to come back of which I'm confident nothing 'iffy' will appear.

So playing the waiting game 4th time around for official nod from FLHH for an expected January start.

Can't wait.

Also good luck to everyone who's still got medicals this week!

UPDATE: Just rang FLHH to ask LG a couple of questions and she's on annual leave until next Thursday/Friday and it's being dealt with solely by her no news coming out for at least the next 7-10 days untie she's back.

Waiting game continues!

Last edited:

JoyDivision

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone due to start either course in November has had to undergo a disclosure or any additional checks after passing the medical?

I'm interested to know whether its a case of passing the medical, flhh obtaining satisfactory references and you've got the job or whether there are more checks involved which will delay a contract being sent out?

Good luck to everyone starting in the next few weeks!

I'm starting this Monday and as far as I'm aware, there is just what you mention regarding references and medical. Cheers for the wishes and good luck to you too!

Phatdan

Hi guys

Was just wondering if the starters could give me some info on the hotel side of things whilst training ?

Are the company putting you up 7 days a week or is it Monday to Friday and you are expected to fend for yourself for the weekend ?

Thanks

ballast rat

Hi guys

Was just wondering if the starters could give me some info on the hotel side of things whilst training ?

Are the company putting you up 7 days a week or is it Monday to Friday and you are expected to fend for yourself for the weekend ?

Thanks

Our hotel is booked Sunday to Thursday. Drive to Crewe on a Sunday ready for a Monday morning and leave the hotel Friday morning, do whatever training on a Friday and travel home that afternoon/evening.

84A

Before all your time no doubt as I am an oldie, I was a trainee traction apprentice based at Laira, I was driving by the end of the first week under tuition even before classroom tuition learning etc. No substitute for on hand experience and taught by professionals, loved those thousands................

TDF

I'm excited with a bit of nerves thrown in the mix too.

Letters didn't mention bringing anything but will have some ID incase.

Great opportunity ahead of us all here, will be great to meet everyone tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.