• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Drivers TPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

cin88

The hardest part of that second test is keeping calm, I know i've got a few wrong but I think I actually did better on the faster questions somehow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dakta

I would expect that to be deliberately set to be near if not impossible.

I'd not be too concerned about absolute scores. Easier said than done I know.

Nick82

I would expect that to be deliberately set to be near if not impossible.

I'd not be too concerned about absolute scores. Easier said than done I know.

Yeah that was what I was thinking after I conducting the assessment. I wonder how its scored for the pass and fail.

coxxy

Not a prayer...

did the test on the laptop as well so was not easy.. Not very confident lets just look at it that way....:|

Nick82

Not a prayer...

did the test on the laptop as well so was not easy.. Not very confident lets just look at it that way....:|

Im curious whats the best way too approach the tests like them?

dakta

Yeah that was what I was thinking after I conducting the assessment. I wonder how its scored for the pass and fail.

It's impossible to say and these things are secret, my guess would be that there's a minimum score to be considered, joint with a quota going through for phone interview. This is just my guess, and it could be wrong - people who 'pass' the test might not go further due to whats on their application form etc, your test results are probably collated with your application and decisions about progression to the next steps made from reviewing someones application as a whole.

There were some tests that were frankly too fast for me, and a couple I allowed to timeout in favour of getting the wrong answer. I don't feel great about my performance, but I don't think anyone will. Did our best, see how we get on.

Im curious whats the best way too approach the tests like them?

Definitely do this sort of thing with a mouse, not saying the poster didn't use one but its good advice regardless. My mouse actually has a stickly left button and it did cause slight greif, using a touchpad would have been worse!

Last edited:

Nick82

Has anyone heard any news regarding moving onto the next stage. I know rejection emails have been sent out, no news is good news???

Has anyone heard any news regarding moving onto the next stage. I know rejection emails have been sent out, no news is good news???

Rejection emails after the second test or the first?

JCLeeds

I did second test, havent had a rejection or an email about further stage. Someone here said they waited 1 month after second test to get a rejection on a previous application, so dont hold yr breath?

yerman164

May I ask how you know rejection e-mails have been sent?

Last year it was around 4-5 days after completing the on-line tests that people were invited for phone interviews.

JCLeeds

It is up to you, however I bet there are loads of people who have applied and have passed the tests (I passed all, inc DMI and medical for FLHH).

Regards
Darryl

If you passed all that, did they not offer you a job?

Daz9284

If you passed all that, did they not offer you a job?

Have you not seen all the Freightliner threads? Due to major downturn in coal traffic, and loss of some contracts, Lots of their FLHH drives have no work, so they wouldn't take on trainee drivers.

Regards
Darryl

JCLeeds

Have you not seen all the Freightliner threads? Due to major downturn in coal traffic, and loss of some contracts, Lots of their FLHH drives have no work, so they wouldn't take on trainee drivers.

Regards
Darryl

Sorry no i didnt. I applied for Freightliner 3 times and never got so much as a reply, so gave up following them. Bummer for you that they advertised and went through all that and in the end didnt take anyone though :cry:

Got to stand you in good stead in applying with the other TOCs though

yerman164

FTPE do require an enhanced pass in all the tests so if you've passed with another company it doesn't guarantee you meet their standard.

Daz9284

Sorry no i didnt. I applied for Freightliner 3 times and never got so much as a reply, so gave up following them. Bummer for you that they advertised and went through all that and in the end didnt take anyone though :cry:

Got to stand you in good stead in applying with the other TOCs though

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so harsh. Yeah unfortunately I got to the last stage and was supposed to be on the March intake this year, but then the downturn happened etc :(

I am also on a short list in line for a position at leeds with northern.

Nick82

FTPE do require an enhanced pass in all the tests so if you've passed with another company it doesn't guarantee you meet their standard.

I do believe Northern and TPE are one of those TOC's with a high standard to pass for drivers. Curious how long the wait may be to find out if successful for an interview.

Out of interest how did a TPE thread turn into a FLHH thread, you would think there is plenty already, Just a thought.

I do believe Northern and TPE are one of those TOC's with a high standard to pass for drivers. Curious how long the wait may be to find out if successful for an interview.

Out of interest how did a TPE thread turn into a FLHH thread, you would think there is plenty already, Just a thought.

TPE require enhanced northern require mandatory

455driver

Veteran Member
If I were recruiting I wouldn't set a 'pass mark' for these tests merely league table people and set a cut off number.
Given the amount of applications there will be, it'd be impossible for a human to carry out an initial sift.
The test, I imagine, deliberately get exponentially harder so there there is less chance that a shed load of people having the same score. Just a guess though.

So you are saying that when I took the tests if there were 10 people better than me I should fail but if there are 10 people worse than me I should pass?

How the hell is that fair?

These tests are industry wide and there is a set pass point for everyone, that is fair!

beavercreek

The OPC score your results....
Border line pass 19th percentile>
Pass 19th to 54th percentile
Good pass 54th to 89th percentile
Very good pass 89th percentile>

For the above company you need to be around 85th percentile in every assessment.

fabs

Hello 455, I see you still have a beef with me.

Anyway to your point, I'm referring to the Online tests not the standard aptitude tests you take when called forward. I didn't say it was fair but then neither is life. Tell you what though, if you think a league table of online applicants is unfair then you should perhaps volunteer to screen each application form yourself, you know just to keep things fair.

455driver

Veteran Member
Hello 455, I see you still have a beef with me.

Nope, just explaining why your idea would be worse than what we have now, if you think that is me 'having a beef' then fine, I wont lose any sleep over it! :roll:

AD15

Alreete.

Anyone any clue if and how to find out what score we got when we did our last psychometric tests? Contact opc or the company we were applying for??

Cheers.

JCLeeds

TPE require enhanced northern require mandatory

I know for certain that Northern required higher than mandatory on the assessments in 2013, because I got a 'borderline' pass on one test at the DBS test centre and was advised it wasnt a high enough score for them. This was a unilateral thing; they weren't just taking the best people from a batch, they had a definite bottom mark that they accepted universally, and I didn't make it. They may of course have changes their parameters since then
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The OPC score your results....
Border line pass 19th percentile>
Pass 19th to 54th percentile
Good pass 54th to 89th percentile
Very good pass 89th percentile>

For the above company you need to be around 85th percentile in every assessment.

Did OPC give you the actual scores? I tried like crazy to get them to give me mine, but they wouldnt. They were very difficult, just told me I had passed the national standard. They also emphasised this on the day of the tests - do not ask us your scores because we will not tell you. I even said I might have to make an application under freedom of information act, but they wouldnt budge

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.