• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train driver advert for Arriva Rail London now open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Theooboy

I thought nights was a separate link, need to look into this once we start maybe us new guys have to work nights I don’t mind working nights tbh I’ll ask this in the induction next month
I start my training next month and will be based a NXG. During my DMI i was told that night shifts were part of the 8 week roster.
As of yet i dont know what that roster will look like, so not sure how many night shifts ill have to work per week etc
lo

I thought nights was a separate link, need to look into this once we start maybe us new guys have to work nights I don’t mind working nights tbh I’ll ask this in the induction next month

lo

Unless i miss understood what i was told. I guess we will find out in a few weeks. I personally don't mind nights

Theooboy

Unless i miss understood what i was told. I guess we will find out in a few weeks. I personally don't mind nights
I’m pretty sure baz is right I think it is a separate link I spoke to one driver a while back and all she does is nights , but in our induction we will find out, but yeah I don’t mind nights don’t bother me

Driver73

Guys the answer has already been put in the thread. I am at NXG and nights have their own link. You will not do nights unless you want to be on that link or do rest days. And saying that it's Friday and Saturday night. The rest of the week will be lates.

Guys the answer has already been put in the thread. I am at NXG and nights have their own link. You will not do nights unless you want to be on that link or do rest days. And saying that it's Friday and Saturday night. The rest of the week will be lates.

Thanks. I was just going by what i was told during my DMI

Theooboy

Skimmed through the thread didn’t even see but yeah that clarifies it earlies lates nights I don’t really mind

theking

If you are an ARL driver you sign a 24 hour contract there is nothing saying you will only book on between x time and x time it is a twenty four hour contract.

There is currently a night link at NXG but numbers are low, there is nothing stopping the company from putting nights in the normal links.

The advert says night work is included there is nothing underhand about it.

If you don't want to work nights then don't apply.

Simple!

Last edited:

SpamHammer

Is this for real? Nights are just part of the job and if you want to base starting a job on whether you might or not do them then you're looking at the wrong job in my opinion.
Not many people like nights but it's part and parcel of the railway and you just get on with it.
Them not putting it in the advert isnt underhanded at all. The railway runs 24 hours a day in different aspects so I think your approach is totally wrong
Eh? If you read my other posts I clearly state I already work elsewhere on the railway and nights are absolutely not standard working. I'm very well used to working all sorts of hours; 4am starts, 2am finishes, weekends, public holidays. That's *not* the same as nights.

Besides that, others currently at ARL have kindly confirmed that nights are on a separate link so I don't really have a clue what you're on about.

SpamHammer

If you are an ARL driver you sign a 24 hour contract there is nothing saying you will only book on between x time and x time it is a twenty four hour contract.

There is currently a night link at NXG but numbers are low, there is nothing stopping the company from putting nights in the normal links.

The advert says night work is included there is nothing underhand about it.

If you don't want to work nights then don't apply.

Simple!

The advert doesn't say nights are included though. That's why I was trying to establish if they were or not.

If you read my other posts in this thread, I've already stated I'll likely withdraw my application if it transpires nights are required rather than optional. I'm well aware others won't care and will grab it with both hands if offered. Good for them.

I'm fortunate to be in a job I'm quite happy with and generously remunerated for already, I don't want to waste my time or ARLs if I'm required to do something I don't want or need to do.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Eh? If you read my other posts I clearly state I already work elsewhere on the railway and nights are absolutely not standard working. I'm very well used to working all sorts of hours; 4am starts, 2am finishes, weekends, public holidays. That's *not* the same as nights.

Besides that, others currently at ARL have kindly confirmed that nights are on a separate link so I don't really have a clue what you're on about.

To be fair to @Class2ldn he’s generally right for the driver grade as far as most TOCs are concerned. Nights are part and parcel of the job and come around regularly at most depots. That said, they’re usually very easy to get rid of by swapping them away.

It sounds like ARL is a different kettle of fish in the sense that night turns will be full running turns, driving passenger trains all night long, rather than just prepping a few units and sitting around (or even going home at 0200 as they are at some depots). That probably explains the creation of a separate link.

baz962

Established Member
To be fair to @Class2ldn he’s generally right for the driver grade as far as most TOCs are concerned. Nights are part and parcel of the job and come around regularly at most depots. That said, they’re usually very easy to get rid of by swapping them away.

It sounds like ARL is a different kettle of fish in the sense that night turns will be full running turns, driving passenger trains all night long, rather than just prepping a few units and sitting around (or even going home at 0200 as they are at some depots). That probably explains the creation of a separate link.
Only at nxg on a Friday and Saturday night are there full passenger service running turns. The night link at Willesden has no passenger services, save for the end of a late or beginning of an early. Its mainly shunting them around.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Only at nxg on a Friday and Saturday night are there full passenger service running turns. The night link at Willesden has no passenger services, save for the end of a late or beginning of an early. Its mainly shunting them around.

Fair enough - quite an unusual set up. I guess there is the possibility that 24 hour running will be expanded in the future, hence the separate link? It seems odd to have an entire separate link otherwise as often only one “night man” is required, even at large depots.

If you read my other posts in this thread, I've already stated I'll likely withdraw my application if it transpires nights are required rather than optional. I'm well aware others won't care and will grab it with both hands if offered. Good for them.

I would advise against this. Where I am, nights are on the roster, but there are drivers who haven’t done a night shift for years.

Once you’ve done the job for a while you may well also find that you decide to view ARL as a way to get a key, and then go somewhere that isn’t purely DOO all station stops work.

Class2ldn

Well it's obviously not in the driving grade and it's been normal operation for the 10 years I've been doing it.
As has been said theres nothing to stop them putting them back in and if that's an issue I suggest you stay where you are.
The advert doesn't need to state nights, anyone who knows anything about the job should know it may be required .
If ARL have a separate link then that's good but what you going to do, stay there forever because other companies have nights.
Just seems like it's not the job for you as you dont have the flexibility required for the job.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Well it's obviously not in the driving grade and it's been normal operation for the 10 years I've been doing it.
As has been said theres nothing to stop them putting them back in and if that's an issue I suggest you stay where you are.
The advert doesn't need to state nights, anyone who knows anything about the job should know it may be required .
If ARL have a separate link then that's good but what you going to do, stay there forever because other companies have nights.
Just seems like it's not the job for you as you dont have the flexibility required for the job.

Agree with every word of the above.

A word of warning: there are many “Walter Mittys” and wannabes on this forum who are very opinionated, and wish they were train drivers, but will never achieve it, and know absolutely nothing about the realities of the job. Including the shifts.

The people who have worked in other railway grades are the worst for this in my experience, as a driver, and in the experience of the people who trained me up. Driving is a completely different job to any other railway grade.

When an actual driver, with a decade’s worth of experience speaks, you guys should listen.

Last edited:

Nevergiveup

Ah I see, I’ve applied with GA back in June still no response after the SJT and with this one no response yet but I’ll stay hopeful if it’s taken them 4 months to get back to you

A couple friends of mine have applied and not heard back yet. I applied Nov 2018 and only heard back in Mar 2019.

SGD5891

Ah I see, I’ve applied with GA back in June still no response after the SJT and with this one no response yet but I’ll stay hopeful if it’s taken them 4 months to get back to you
Took them 7 months to get back to me mate so do t get dis heartened if Don't here anything too soon...

DA1

Anyone know why the Willesden one would’ve shut prematurely? Is it more popular for people to apply for than New Cross Gate? Less positions to fill?

Nevergiveup

It was originally supposed to close on 20th then they extended to 27th
Anyone know why the Willesden one would’ve shut prematurely? Is it more popular for people to apply for than New Cross Gate? Less positions to fill?

DMcq2010

Has anyone heard anything yet in regards to these vacancies out of interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.