• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver (talent pool) GWR July 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PudseyBearHST

Salary?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Hello. For a Qualified Train Driver (which is also being advertised for GWR), the salary is £47,680 in the Eastern region (London, Reading and Oxford). Obviously for the first year or so as a trainee, the salary will be less- I don't know for sure but as a guess, £30K ish?
As far as I know, there is no pay scale so I think once qualified you will get the full salary.

Last edited:

GMT

Hello. For a Qualified Train Driver (which is also being advertised for GWR), the salary is £47,680 in the Eastern region (London, Reading and Oxford). Obviously for the first year or so as a trainee, the salary will be less- I don't know for sure but as a guess, £30K ish?
As far as I know, there is no pay scale so I think once qualified you will get the full salary.

I think £30K is slightly optimistic. I would say more between £24 and £27K. But I may well be wrong.

PudseyBearHST

Are relocations permitted?

Can't say for sure but especially since this is a talent pool and training would not even commence till potentially 2019, I would have thought so. You would need to make that clear in your application although I am not sure where you would put it as the GWR application page is quite limited.
But to be sure you could send them an email or phone them:

[email protected]
08450 000 303

JonnyH

Has anybody applied for this?

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something as I've started the application but as far as I can see it's purely like a CV, no questions to answer???

bILLOO

Hey Jonny! So, we've made our way here now, haha! Best of luck to you with this, mate!

PudseyBearHST

Has anybody applied for this?

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something as I've started the application but as far as I can see it's purely like a CV, no questions to answer???

Yes that is correct. As soon as you submit the application, you should immediately get an invite for an SJT.

JonnyH

Yes that is correct. As soon as you submit the application, you should immediately get an invite for an SJT.
Thanks for your help Pudsey. I've done it, submitted and done the SJT too. Very nervous at not passing it now though, even though I've passed the official assessments already! :-/

PudseyBearHST

Thanks for your help Pudsey. I've done it, submitted and done the SJT too. Very nervous at not passing it now though, even though I've passed the official assessments already! :-/

Hi and no problem! Best of Luck with your application! What do you mean you have done the official assessments already? Are you one of those people who was successful and went into a talent pool but then were kicked off it? I was reading something along those lines in the other GWR Drivers thread.

JonnyH

Hi and no problem! Best of Luck with your application! What do you mean you have done the official assessments already? Are you one of those people who was successful and went into a talent pool but then were kicked off it? I was reading something along those lines in the other GWR Drivers thread.
I was successful with Northern in Sheffield but had moved house between submitting my application and being told I was in and I'm now just outside of what they consider commutable! I have only moved 10 minutes up the road but hey ho!

I've read so many stories of being put 'on hold' and then having it taken back! That must be awful!

bILLOO

The vacancy is already closed. I didn't make it in time. Just my luck with these TOCs.

PudseyBearHST

I was successful with Northern in Sheffield but had moved house between submitting my application and being told I was in and I'm now just outside of what they consider commutable! I have only moved 10 minutes up the road but hey ho!

I've read so many stories of being put 'on hold' and then having it taken back! That must be awful!

That must have been disappointing. Were you given the opportunity to more back to a 'commutable' distance or not?

JonnyH

That must have been disappointing. Were you given the opportunity to more back to a 'commutable' distance or not?
It was terribly disappointing! I contacted them and said I would get myself a place in Sheffield which would've meant moving away from my wife and daughters 4-5 days a a week but they were having none of it!

PaoloG92

I applied for this yesterday evening but my cousin tried to apply this afternoon and it said it was closed already! Not alot of chat on here surprisingly :-/ Have many other forum users applied?

ZFE95

I applied for this yesterday evening but my cousin tried to apply this afternoon and it said it was closed already! Not alot of chat on here surprisingly :-/ Have many other forum users applied?

I applied. I live in London but would happily commute to Reading. Who knows.

Max287

I applied yesterday, must have just got in there before it closed. Not expecting anything to come of it but you never know.

PudseyBearHST

With GWR and many other TOC career websites, you can already complete the application form before any vacancy comes up so it is best to have the application form completed and ready so when a vacancy arises, you can pretty much submit it immediately. Otherwise if you have to start and complete a whole application, some people might think "oh there's a whole week left, I'll compete it tomorrow." It is very common to see Driver jobs being taken down well before the closing date.

Lasbrisas

I have applied, I did get a warning email saying it could get taken down so managed to do it in time. I was used to the short time scale as SWT only give you about 2 days to apply. I'm not too worried now though as I have just been offered a signallers job and I am very happy.

Johncleesefan

I relocated from 300 miles away when I applied and stated this throughout, so can't see it been an issue.
It came up in my dmi and I provided research into local areas I had been looking at living in and it worked for me

sharpinf

Just a thought having applied for this - I already have a application for another TOC ongoing (slowly), does anyone know would either TOC be able to know I've applied for roles in two companies and would it hurt my chances doing so if they did?

Thanks

Ewie13

Hi everyone, I don't suppose anybody has heard back after the initial assessment have they?

Status
Not open for further replies.