• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains You Would Love To See On Your Local Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TrainfanBen

I wonder what London to Birmingham new street would be like on a 323.. I love the noise they make on startup.

Basically I'm just bored of LM's class 350's. I couldn't think of an actual reason.

I wonder what London to Birmingham new street would be like on a 323.. I love the noise they make on startup.

Basically I'm just bored of LM's class 350's. I couldn't think of an actual reason.

That would certainly be an interesting journey!

If reseated, I don't think it would be a bad journey.

Last edited:

southern442

Established Member
Does indeed sound remarkable silly as in my opinion they are the most uncomfortable trains to travel on.

Personally I love the Class 71s on the Uckfield line, and hands off! In fact I think electrification of the line would be a disadvantage as it would mean different rolling stock and it would almost undoubtedly be less comfortable!

Yes, I do not like the idea of electrification on the Uckfield line. I think the 171's are definitely more comfortable than the 377's.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Electrification does not necessarily mean that the 171s will be replaced with 3+2 seating 377s.
Are there not 2+2 seating units that could be assigned the task? (Otherwise I don't see how the Turbostars could be much better since they are pretty much identical otherwise)

12CSVT

Established Member

They used to work Birmingham to Liverpool services when they were fairly new.

After the class 309s were withdrawn in 2000, a Longsight based 323 unit was diagrammed to work an 01:10 (or 01:15) Piccadilly to New Street service, returning in the morning peak.

BestWestern

Established Member
37s, 47s and 50s please :D And HSTs with the Valenta units put back in - not reconditioned of course, lots of noise and smoke is just fine.

causton

Established Member
I wouldn't mind seeing a 323 or similar down my way! Also agree that I would love to see one doing EUS-BHM :D

I would also love a Parry People Mover to shuttle people from the side of town I live (further away from the rail station) to the mainline - but that's a bit different :D

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Sheffield <> Lincoln
Anything with a class number greater than 153. Anything at all. Regularly, please.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Any where down south a 153 or 142 as I'm fed up of people moaning that there train is 'only' 8 coaches and similar!

We've been over this one again and again- when people complain about this, it is usually becuase the train is normally 12 coaches AND still full and standing. Most 8 and 12 coach peak time trains into London are not joyously spacious luxury trains with big reclining seats and jacuzzis.

Minstral25

Established Member
Any where down south a 153 or 142 as I'm fed up of people moaning that there train is 'only' 8 coaches and similar!

And I'd like to send 378's up north so the definition of discomfort can be redefined from a Pacer which has seats to standing room only. Obviously all the West London line peak passengers can be sent too so as to ensure the feeling of being an actual sardine in a can is not missed out upon.:)

Actually on my local services (Redhill), I'd like to see Class 73's hauling the old Mk2 GATEX stock on Victoria trains, with 33/1's or thumpers on the Reading and Tonbridge services.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Electrification does not necessarily mean that the 171s will be replaced with 3+2 seating 377s.
Are there not 2+2 seating units that could be assigned the task? (Otherwise I don't see how the Turbostars could be much better since they are pretty much identical otherwise)

I don't know if there are any Class 377s that are purely 2+2, lots are a mixture of 2+2 and 2+3 depending on the carriage you are in. I think the seats themselves in the turbostars are different, with more padding.

Even if there were 2+2 Class 377s with identical seats I suspect that they would not be dedicated to the Uckfield line but could be used on any Southern line. At the momment the service has to be run by Class 171s as sending any other Class train Southern have access to would cuase issues south of Hurst Green!

sprinterguy

Established Member
I don't know if there are any Class 377s that are purely 2+2, lots are a mixture of 2+2 and 2+3 depending on the carriage you are in. I think the seats themselves in the turbostars are different, with more padding.
I think that the 3-car class 377/3s have 2+2 seating throughout.

Class377/5

Established Member

Even if there were 2+2 Class 377s with identical seats I suspect that they would not be dedicated to the Uckfield line but could be used on any Southern line. At the momment the service has to be run by Class 171s as sending any other Class train Southern have access to would cuase issues south of Hurst Green!

The 377/6 & /7 will be 2+2 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.