• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales 769's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Price

Not quite. Yes ATW ordered them on the basis that there were no other units available. It is fair to say Porterbrook drastically over estimated how long they would take to build. They are long overdue but needed to non the Pacers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jez

Established Member
Further to my previous post, just searched for the discussion on these forums and it was reported in July 2017 that ATW were to get 5 class 769 to support stock shortages etc and would be in service summer 2018. So yes a delay of 2 years now

Jez

Established Member

craigybagel

Established Member
Porterbrook have at least supplied a rainbow fleet of 153s in the meantime that is helping to cover the gap the 769s should have filled.

JN114

Established Member
Yes, the delays to the project have been well reported - some of it has been Wabtec-Faiveley suffering staffing shortages (which has as widely reported affected their other work too - power door HSTs a notable example) and also underestimating the work involved - particularly with regard to condition of bodyshells, but there are other reasons outside of the manufacturers control as well. All the 769s for Northern and TfW were laid up for nearly a year unable to move on Diesel while the redesigned exhaust system was awaiting emissions testing after the initial/validated design was found to be not in gauge. Production was suspended as there was no point fitting out further sets until that was sorted.

Northern are now in an industrial dispute for their units as well pushing it back for them even further.

It’s very encouraging to see them out and about training today - and the experience gained by TfW will go on to help all the operators planning to introduce them.

Bob Price

Indeed, there is talk the first GWR set may move this weekend. The project has been a mess but at least it's happening.

A 769 has successfully made it to and from Penarth this morning.

There was 'talk' (here and elsewhere) that Rhymney trains would terminate in Cardiff as these units couldn't run to Penarth.

(Penarth trains now run to Merthyr and not Rhymney)

Bikeman78

Established Member
Weren't some of the 769's supposed to be in service when ATW was still running the franchise? i.e. around 2 years ago! A delay of this long, 2.5 years if they wont enter service until December TT, seems ridiculous! At this rate the new built trains will be ready before these ever enter service.
I still stand by my comment earlier in the year. More chance of riding a Pacer next year than a 769 this year. And yes I will go for a ride on a 769 when they start running.

Bob Price

Just looking through the times on RTT and can't see any paths for next week. Anyone know if they are running (it's my week off!) ?

Cardiff123

Established Member
769002 having it's first good run out today to Rhymney and Penarth
Unfortunately it looks like the second run up to Rhymney hasn't gone so well, and it's now being turned around in P1 at Caerphilly.

Bob Price

Looks like the first GWR unit will be delivered tomorrow. Has the final TfW unit arrived at Canton yet?

6Gtraincrew

Unfortunately it looks like the second run up to Rhymney hasn't gone so well, and it's now being turned around in P1 at Caerphilly.

Must have fixed it as 002 is booked off Canton at 8:55 for today's runs

Bob Price

Interesting that they are using that one. Wonder if it's more ready for service than 008 which they were using.

Bob Price

Looks like they have double teamed again today finishing the morning run at Canton. 5Z71 on diagram for the pm runs

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I'm sorry to say this but I'm wondering whether the Class 769 programme should have happened considering it was meant to be 2 years ago when the first 769 enters service.

I know the Class 769 deliveries / training are starting to presumably progress nicely but really the 153's should have stayed and the 9 769's go to GWR instead. It would have meant Pacers would have hung around but at least capacity would have still been there / a Pacer coupled to a compliant 150 to provide services with accessible toilet.

Mollman

Established Member
I'm sorry to say this but I'm wondering whether the Class 769 programme should have happened considering it was meant to be 2 years ago when the first 769 enters service.

I know the Class 769 deliveries / training are starting to presumably progress nicely but really the 153's should have stayed and the 9 769's go to GWR instead. It would have meant Pacers would have hung around but at least capacity would have still been there / a Pacer coupled to a compliant 150 to provide services with accessible toilet.
Without wanting to go over old ground (all 769 threads are full of "why is this still happening?") TfW needed rolling stock to allow 150s to go for PRM work and to bridge the gap between the Jan 2020 accessibility deadline and new stock arriving. 153s were seen as uneconomical to convert due to the loss of seats when adding an accessible loo whilst keeping Pacers was seen as politically untenable. Portabrook were offering cheap 'new' DMUs obviously at a reasonable price and within the deadline - were TfW naive to go for them? Perhaps but given the alternative was probably more expensive in loco hauled services then I don't blame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.