• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Obsolete Signage at stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Holly

Hamilton Square station still says "MERSEY RAILWAY" on the tower. And it hasn't been Mersey Railway for 70 years. The sign is a bit faded by now though.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I did rather enjoy discovering a sign at Chathill, but I think those of you who have seen it can have a chuckle and everyone else can be incentivised to visit ;)

Spartacus

Established Member
The end of Back Station Road in Mirfield still retains a very faded tangerine British Railway North Eastern region sign (PRIVATE ROAD TO THE RAILWAY STATION ONLY), quite remarkable considering how long ago it was abolished.

JW16

Are there still any of the cast iron signs at foot crossings and on the edge of station car parks warning of the penalities for trespassing on the railway, by order of the LNER?
I have one on my back garden fence!

InOban

Established Member
The current posters for the various national rail cards all have the BR double arrow. So it's still current.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
There are some BR posters in glass-fronted display cases on the stairs to the down through platform at Richmond. They look like they come from the 1980s. I first saw them a couple of months ago and I wondered if somebody had found them in a cupboard and decided to display them for a laugh.

I noticed last week at New Malden a LSWR plate bolted to the wall of the up fast platform instructing passengers not to cross the line by the porter's crossing. I'd not noticed this plate before, despite having travelled fairly regularly through the station on the up slow for 45 years.

Back in the mid-1960s, when my grandparents moved to Lowestoft and I visited them, I saw a long LNER cast-iron plate bolted to a gate where a farm-track crossed the line from Lowestoft to Norwich at the north end of the cutting at Oulton Broad. A couple of the bolts had rusted, and the plate was loose on the gate. I was tempted to borrow my grand-dad's hacksaw and saw through the remaining bolt, but I never did. Someone else must have had the same idea, as when I last visited the area a few years back, it had gone.

Bwlch y Groes

One of my favourites - Regional Railways signage on the wall at Manchester Victoria, just opposite Soldiers' Gate

29e21s0.jpg

Last edited:

acned

Biggleswade has the N.S.E. flash incorporated in the platform surface. Similarly, either Bank or Waterloo retain these flashes as well, on the W. & C. Line platforms.
There is a cast iron L.N.E.R. sign still in situ on what was one of the G.N.Rs. "Northern Heights" branches.
There are plenty of G.W.R. and L.N.W.R. cast boundary posts still in situ if you keep your eyes peeled in the King's Norton and Bushey areas respectively.

acned

There are a lot of B.R. era signs in non-public areas. Outside Euston there are B.R. signs along Eversholt Street.
Next time anyone has a few minutes at Preston have a look for the cast iron L.Y.R. and L.M.S. utility covers. I eventually noticed them after 10 years of regularly passing them!

AY1975

Established Member
In the waiting room/booking area at Alfreton there is (or was until recently) still a sign saying for wheelchair access please ask staff, even though the barrow crossing was declared unsafe a few years ago so only the northbound platform is currently wheelchair accessible, meaning wheelchair users who want to board or alight from a southbound train have to back double.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Biggleswade has the N.S.E. flash incorporated in the platform surface. Similarly, either Bank or Waterloo retain these flashes as well, on the W. & C. Line platforms.
There is a cast iron L.N.E.R. sign still in situ on what was one of the G.N.Rs. "Northern Heights" branches.
There are plenty of G.W.R. and L.N.W.R. cast boundary posts still in situ if you keep your eyes peeled in the King's Norton and Bushey areas respectively.
That reminds me of the brick mosaics set into the car park surface at Outwood station, near to the entrance to the Leeds-bound platform. Not really obsolete though, as one is an arrow of indecision and the other is a Metro "M".

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Interesting threads, many thanks for the contributions.

If I can just ask everyone who posts an image to please include a text description, to enable our blind readers and contributors to be able to understand what it is you have posted an image of, that would be much appreciated.

The feedback we get is that this forum is generally one of the best for providing text alternatives (thank you to all contributors for that!), but there's a few examples in this thread where the post perhaps wouldn't be understood, or would be difficult to understand, as there is no text description.

Likewise, if a hyperlink is posted, not everyone will be able to click the link (for a variety of reasons) and/or the hyperlinks may stop working in future, so the same principle applies.

Many thanks for your understanding :)

Pokelet

Has anyone painted the bridge over the Newport Road next to Cardiff Queen Street, proudly displaying the Valley Lines "gets you to the heart of the city" advert?

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Further to my earlier post, I alighted at Richmond last night and had another look: there are several BR posters from the 1980s on the wall, one from 1986 announcing the opening of Winnersh Triangle, another one advising how to work the sliding doors on the then new 455 stock.

ryan125hst

Established Member
A simple one like 373 Stop signs at places on the ECML like Retford.
Over 12 years I think since they stopped running.
There's still an 11 Car stop on Platform 1 at Retford (just south of the 373 Stop I think) which presumably dates back to the days of traditional loco hauled trains which ended on the ECML over two decades ago.

skifans

Admittedly not at a station, but I spotted an old ramp on a Northern 153 yesterday labeling its self as belonging to central trains

Attachments

• DSC_0843.JPG
    DSC_0843.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 120

GW43125

Established Member
The clip for the wheelchair ramp at Ascot has a sign saying the ramp is only for use with classes 170, 444, 450, 458. SWT haven't had 170s for well over ten years now.

Carlisle

Established Member
The problem being that it advised Platform 1 for trains to Southampton, Bournemouth and Wareham! Trains hadn't run west of Southampton for many a year prior, and certainly not during the period that Southwest Trains operateed the service from that station!!
Wasn’t that the service pattern introduced after completion of the Solent electrification, but I can’t remember when it changed again

mallard

Established Member
There are still quite a few "VT" train stop indicators at stations on the cross country route... Tamworth (high-level) for example.

GW43125

Established Member
There are still quite a few "VT" train stop indicators at stations on the cross country route... Tamworth (high-level) for example.
The one at dawlish lasted until about three years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.