• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Obsolete Signage at stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP33

Are there still any of the cast iron signs at foot crossings and on the edge of station car parks warning of the penalities for trespassing on the railway, by order of the LNER?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
There's the same thing at Marylebone tube. Every sign point to the British rail station. Some definitely look to me like they've been replaced in the last 20 years.

I don't know about every sign, but here's a few taken at Marylebone tube (Bakerloo line) in November 2017. IMG_3116.jpg IMG_3117.jpg IMG_3120.jpg

robbeech

Established Member
A simple one like 373 Stop signs at places on the ECML like Retford.
Over 12 years I think since they stopped running.

RichJF

Blackfriars northern concourse has a few European destinations etched into the stonework as well as SE&CR (I think). Nice touch of history.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
There's still the faded sign on the Hammersmith & City station in Hammersmith inviting you to go 'dancing at the Palais'

jnjkerbin

Euston Square Station has very faded and battered Metropolitan Line timetable from (I think) the 1980s.
And, as mentioned previously, there's an old Red Star sign on Eversholt Street, down the side of Euston Station.

pdeaves

Established Member
One I've just remembered. A (former) goods shed at Stroud still has GWR painted on the railway-facing wall. There will be other similar examples around the country too.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Up until the rebuild, Leeds station had several lighting strips with "LEEDS CITY" on them. Funnily enough they were on platforms 1 and 2/3 (now 4 and 5/6) which was Leeds Wellington long ago.

Not railways, but there are a few signs around West Yorkshire which still bear the 1980s-era Metro logo which was a green and white rose made up of Ws and Ys. There was one near Dewsbury bus station though I haven't noticed if it's still there.

Waldgrun

I know of a sign that was obsolete when it was installed! Due to the actions of some of the mindless idiots who use Portchester Station in Hampshire. On a sign which was installed in N.S.E. day, which stated which platform to use for trains to your destination became unreadable! Staff there at the time requested its replacement, and advised that it should be updated! However, the manager in charge knew best and ordered a new sign worded like for like! The problem being that it advised Platform 1 for trains to Southampton, Bournemouth and Wareham! Trains hadn't run west of Southampton for many a year prior, and certainly not during the period that Southwest Trains operateed the service from that station!!

cin88

I'm pretty sure Patricroft still has it's BR sign on the wall at the bottom of the stairs.

Kearsley still had it's old BR and GMPTE signs last time I looked, although that suffers from being part of the background when i'm heading down to Bury so if it has changed then i've not noticed for a good 12 months :lol:

Last edited:

Marton

Middlesbrough and other NER stations still have the NER tile network map.

iknowyeah

There's old adverts for railway destinations under the current ones at Piccadilly metrolink, that get exposed when the current ones are being replaced

matt_world2004

Established Member
Hillingdon eastbound platform has a line diagram showing aldwych and tottenham court road has signage for "Crossrail"

yorksrob

Veteran Member
And here's a Red Star (?) sign at Selby from May 2015 - sadly it's now gone

View attachment 41682

I notice the nice BR red and yellow buffet sign at Selby has also gone, which is particularly annoying as the buffet is still there, so it wasn't even obsolete.

Apologies - that is the buffet sign I was thinking of (well newspapers - you could probably get a cup of tea from the same hatch).

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
Why's that obsolete? You (will) change at Tottenham Court Road from the London Underground Central and Northern Lines to the Crossrail Elizabeth Line.
According to tfls own branding guide the name crossrail refers to the infrastructure project only .While the name of the operational railway line will be the elizabeth line. Tfl had already put the signs up for "crossrail" at Tottenham Court Road before boris decided to name it Elizabeth line. The signs will be replaced before the Elizabeth line opens. So despite being new they are obsolete.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Up until the rebuild, Leeds station had several lighting strips with "LEEDS CITY" on them. Funnily enough they were on platforms 1 and 2/3 (now 4 and 5/6) which was Leeds Wellington long ago.

Not railways, but there are a few signs around West Yorkshire which still bear the 1980s-era Metro logo which was a green and white rose made up of Ws and Ys. There was one near Dewsbury bus station though I haven't noticed if it's still there.

There's a noticeboard in County Hall which has the 1980's WYPTE logo carved into it and the decals are painted gold, its located inside the building near the Bond Street entrance.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
According to tfls own branding guide the name crossrail refers to the infrastructure project only .While the name of the operational railway line will be the elizabeth line. Tfl had already put the signs up for "crossrail" at Tottenham Court Road before boris decided to name it Elizabeth line. The signs will be replaced before the Elizabeth line opens. So despite being new they are obsolete.
To be honest, I was being sarcastic. That said, I didn't know they'd completely dropped the 'Crossrail' bit as the last I heard was that it was going to be 'Crossrail, Elizabeth Line'. Shame, was hoping that after a while the latter bit would be dropped in common usage...

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member

Manchester Oxford Road has one (platform light sign, or whatever the technical term is for it), it says 'Oxford Road'. Dates back to 1960 I've been told.

driver9000

Established Member
Manchester Oxford Road has one (platform light sign, or whatever the technical term is for it), it says 'Oxford Road'. Dates back to 1960 I've been told.

It has two. One on platform 3 and one on platform 4 more or less opposite each other on the lift tower.

BurtonM

Whoever replaced the double arrow totem outside Beckenham Junction a couple of years ago replicated the NSE flashes along the bottom!

MP33

I was waiting on one of the platforms of a Eastern District line station. There must have been a refreshment kiosk nearby as high up the wall was a painted sign advertising Tea 3d.

A Challenge

Established Member
Blackfriars northern concourse has a few European destinations etched into the stonework as well as SE&CR (I think). Nice touch of history.
Walked past that today in fact - but hadn't seen this thread. Noticed Baden-Baden next to Beckenham!

Status
Not open for further replies.