• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Obsolete Signage at stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AY1975

Established Member
There's the same thing at Marylebone tube. Every sign point to the British rail station. Some definitely look to me like they've been replaced in the last 20 years.

Yes, and at Vauxhall tube station.

MadMac

Someone recently posted somewhere a still-extant British Railways-era blue enamel "Station" with arrow sign affixed to a street lamp post somewhere on, I think, the Aberdeen-Inverness line!

transmanche

Established Member
Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Gatwick Airport country end... at night the lit up running in sign reveals the new branding has been stuck over the old red and black branding... looks a bit tacky

387star

On Moderation
Kings cross tl has decade old FCC posters advertising the 'new' Pancras station

Esker-pades

Established Member
The signage at Cambridge North which didn't acknowledge the existance of the station.

The signs at Chathill advertising services to "Berwick and the North".

The signs at Barry Links and Golf Street advertising services to Arbroath.

The signs at Teesside Airport advertising services to Middlesbrough and Saltburn.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Serco-Abellio Northern did a pretty good job of covering up their logo in the weeks running up to the franchise being taken over by Arriva Rail Northern. Except, that is, for the CCTV signs. Most of them still bear the text "A serco-abellio Joint Venture" and the old Northern logo.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Serco-Abellio Northern did a pretty good job of covering up their logo in the weeks running up to the franchise being taken over by Arriva Rail Northern. Except, that is, for the CCTV signs. Most of them still bear the text "A serco-abellio Joint Venture" and the old Northern logo.

And some of the tape is falling off station signs revealing the old logo

Saperstein

0FF9D28E-09B9-4BE2-8E61-DD4327B37DAD.jpeg

At Liverpool Lime Street, there is still a sign with London Midland on it.

Where else are similar things still to be found?

lxfe_mxtterz

I believe Downham Market still has Network Southeast branding on the station signs (unless they've mysteriously gotten rid of it). :)

Edit: I've just performed a small bit of online research, and it turns out that the Network Southeast branding was only a (relatively) recent commemorative addition from 2017, thus I assume it still remains.

Parallel

Established Member
A few GWR stations still have some Wessex Trains maroon, I.e the noticeboard frames at Cheltenham Spa and Freshford.

M7R

Littlehampton when I went there the other month still has Network SE branding on the bottom of the big double arrow sign out side the station and Red Star too under that.

I believe Downham Market still has Network Southeast branding on the station signs (unless they've mysteriously gotten rid of it). :)

Edit: I've just performed a small bit of online research, and it turns out that the Network Southeast branding was only a (relatively) recent commemorative addition from 2017, thus I assume it still remains.

Downham Market does indeed still have the full NSE look. Watlington needs the same - still has its old NSE totem but it's looking very sorry for itself these days.

Arrpi87

I'm quite sure I saw some First group branding partially obscured by foliage on Church & Oswaldtwistle station just round the corner from me.

I'm a car user mainly, but I'm sure this hasn't been First territory in all the years since I moved to Lancashire.

Skimble19

Established Member
Northern City Line is still NSE on the platforms.
Marylebone has a lot of NSE bits
The Northern City Line is no longer NSE. The last remaining traces are in the process of being removed (largely just tiles at some stations, Moorgate has just finished being re-tiled though).

stj

Not that long ago LMS Preston Station was still visible painted on the brickwork at the north end of the station.

The 1891 LNW down platform building at Goostrey on the Crewe to Manchester line is just coming to the end of an extensive refurbishment and repaint - and an excellent job it is too - had a large 'British Rail Goostrey' sign complete with double-arrow on the station approach side. It was removed at the start of the works, but I am pleased to see that this week it has been reinstated in all its glory. As a firm supporter of renationalisation I hope its time will come again!

stj

There are a lot of B.R. era signs in non-public areas. Outside Euston there are B.R. signs along Eversholt Street.
Next time anyone has a few minutes at Preston have a look for the cast iron L.Y.R. and L.M.S. utility covers. I eventually noticed them after 10 years of regularly passing them!
Yes,I remember them.There are Preston and Wyre RC covers in the old Fleetwood Docks.

SeanG

Hindley Station has a sign station trains for Wigan, Southport and Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.