• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia:Open stations with removed platforms on open lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
This may seem a strange question but how many stations are there that are currently open but have had platforms removed on open lines so trains on that line can no longer stop.

Some of the ones I have thought of are Carnforth, Barassie, Salford Central Dore and Totley, Ambergate, Stone and Kings Norton and Polesworth.

Can anyone think of any more?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
At both Esher and Walton on Thames, the platform in the centre is still in place but no longer has any way of passengers getting on or off. In the case of Walton the platform has landscaping and shrubbery meaning it'd be a job to negotiate anyway! In the days of slammers both platforms had "Do not alight here" signs but I'm not sure if they still do as they're not strictly necessary anymore.

Poolie

Sick of saying it on several other similar type threads, but Hartlepool.......what a lack of foresight when the up platform was taken out of use. Quite a bottleneck now.<(

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Sick of saying it on several other similar type threads, but Hartlepool.......what a lack of foresight when the up platform was taken out of use. Quite a bottleneck now.<(

I thought about mentioning Hartlepool too, but do any passenger trains use the line past the disused platform? If not I don't think it qualifies under the OP's terms.

najaB

Veteran Member
This may seem a strange question but how many stations are there that are currently open but have had platforms removed on open lines so trains on that line can no longer stop.
List almost any station on the four-track section of any of the mainlines.

I'll go with Norton Bridge for the win.

steamybrian

Established Member
Farnborough in Hampshire no longer has platforms on the fast lines.

Also Hook on the same line (platforms removed many, many years ago.!)

Others from the South East..
Forest Hill (two platforms on the fast lines removed in the 1960s)
Earlswood (two platforms removed on the fast lines in the 1980s)
New Cross (two platforms removed on fast lines in the 1970s)
St Johns (two platforms removed on fast lines in the 1970s)
Willesden Junction (multiple platforms removed from main lines)
Bethnal Green (fast line platforms removed around 1949)
Earlsfield (up fast line platform removed in mid 1960s?)
Hatch End (fast line platforms closed)

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member

I'll go with Norton Bridge for the win.

Before the temporary 2004 closure of Norton Bridge the station was much smaller than it was before as at one point I think it had tracks on the Crewe Line.

scrapy

Established Member
Hyde North used to have platforms on the Glossop/Hadfield/Sheffield route.

I don't think there were platforms at Salford Central the line towards Ordsall Lane. The disused platforms were towards where Salford Crescent is now and there is currently no track through them although there will be in the future as part of Ordsall curve project.

thenorthern

Established Member
Hyde North used to have platforms on the Glossop/Hadfield/Sheffield route.

I don't think there were platforms at Salford Central the line towards Ordsall Lane. The disused platforms were towards where Salford Crescent is now and there is currently no track through them although there will be in the future as part of Ordsall curve project.

Good point about Hyde North.

There were platforms on the Liverpool line which have now gone.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Northfield in Birmingham.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Really? I'd say that most either never had them or still have them.

najaB

Veteran Member
Really? I'd say that most either never had them or still have them.
In a lot of cases where the platform faces are still there they are blocked out of use.

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Acton Mainline, Hanwell & West Ealing

New Malden, Byfleet & New Haw, West Byfleet

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

New Malden the fast line platforms are still technically in use, though I've no idea when they were last used. They even have (or had) PIS screens installed! West Byfleet's down fast platform is still in use, didn't think there'd ever been one for the up fast.

Nym

Established Member

Some of the ones I have thought of are Carnforth, Barassie, Salford Central Dore and Totley, Ambergate, Stone and Kings Norton and Polesworth.

Can anyone think of any more?

Salford Central doesn't count, there has never been platforms on the lines towards Liverpool via Chat Moss, there are however two platforms with no lines through them.

steamybrian

Established Member

As far as I know- Byfleet & New Haw never had platforms on the fast lines.

Some more from the South East..

South Hampstead- fast line platforms- now disused
Kilburn High Road- fast lines platforms disused
Harringay- fast line platforms removed
Hornsey- fast line platforms removed

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Pangbourne - main line platforms removed.
Newton (Glasgow) - main line platforms removed.

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Craigendoran formerly had platforms on the West Highland Line. These platforms were occasionally referred to as 'Craigendoran Upper' as a result. Both W.H.L platforms were closed in the late 60s, the platform structures remaining in situ until B.R undertook track layout rationalization works on Craigendoran Jn in 1984. The remains of the platforms were demolished as a result of the W.H.L's singling.

Some amazing images of Craigendoran (with both Craigendoran Pier and Craigendoran Upper still in use) can be found here: http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4423&start=0

Last edited:

MP33

Manor Park.

There is a 5th platform. However as there are walls on part of the platform face. It would be impossible for anyone to get on or off at a door next to the wall. Rolling stock using the platform years ago must have been different.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Elephants never forget:) Are those platforms used though, except in an emergency?

Yes. Platform 3 bi-directional for hourly Cardiff to Taunton and return and also for any Paddington turnbacks..
Platform 4 Up only not so frequent as 3. Both see a lot of use in the morning peak.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
If it weren't for a couple of permanently locked doors then the public would still be able to access them, but I'll bet it's been quite some time since anything stopped with passengers on the fast (New Street) lines at Small Heath station.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Salford Central doesn't count, there has never been platforms on the lines towards Liverpool via Chat Moss, there are however two platforms with no lines through them.

Yes - Salford was served instead by the (now closed) stations at Ordsall Lane & Cross Lane. (Until slum clearance, and building of the M602, there were lots of houses in the area.)

Taunton

Established Member
Elephants never forget
Oh my!

The central island at Taunton was closed in the late 1960s. Before that all trains to/from Bristol used the outer platforms on the relief lines, and all on the Castle Cary line used the central island on the main lines, regardless of class of train; all trains crossed over appropriately west of the station. This even applied to Summer Saturday nonstops. There was a high-speed crossover from main to relief out at Creech Junction, which I never, ever, saw used. During the (30 years?) the central platform was closed the steps up from the subway were retained for emergency use, although I never saw it used for that purpose either.

Status
Not open for further replies.