• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Place names that you're not sure how to pronounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Panceltic

Yeah I have a friend from Lodz (Sorry I don't know how to put the bar on). Thing is when she says it it does sound very much like Woodge.

Woodge is a very good approximation of how Łódź is pronounced in Polish. However, Polish devoices final obstruents as a rule; therefore in isolation, the pronunciation of the city's name sounds more like Wooch - dź is the voiced pair of ć. (For the same reason, native Polish speakers struggle to differentiate beak and big, or bed and bet for example).

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Woodge is a very good approximation of how Łódź is pronounced in Polish. However, Polish devoices final obstruents as a rule; therefore in isolation, the pronunciation of the city's name sounds more like Wooch - dź is the voiced pair of ć. (For the same reason, native Polish speakers struggle to differentiate beak and big, or bed and bet for example).

So they have a sort of k-g and d-t merger?

Panceltic

So they have a sort of k-g and d-t merger?

Well, sort of. All voiced consonants (b, d, g, v, z etc.) become unvoiced (p, t, k, f, s etc.), but only at the end of the word (or sentence) i.e. before a pause. The same thing happens in Russian by the way (you will perhaps have noticed that Gorbachev is pronounced Gorbachof etc.).

fowler9

Established Member
Well, sort of. All voiced consonants (b, d, g, v, z etc.) become unvoiced (p, t, k, f, s etc.), but only at the end of the word (or sentence) i.e. before a pause. The same thing happens in Russian by the way (you will perhaps have noticed that Gorbachev is pronounced Gorbachof etc.).
Brilliant. It is really interesting. The k-g and d-t thing is all about the tiniest difference in the positioning of the tongue.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Yes, but I thought that was just down to how Cyrillic was transliterated into Latin characters.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
More like the film Gattaca (the last two vowels can be almost like a French accented e in a Scouse accent. Especially the last one).

Not too far off, Gattaca sounds like a planet in Star Wars or Star Trek or something! :lol:

Panceltic

Brilliant. It is really interesting. The k-g and d-t thing is all about the tiniest difference in the positioning of the tongue.

Yes, linguistics is indeed a very interesting science. Just a small correction though, the difference between k-g, t-d, s-z etc. is solely in the voicedness (i.e. the vocal chords vibrate when pronouncing g d z, but they don't when pronouncing k t s). The positioning of the tongue is exactly the same.

Panceltic

Yes, but I thought that was just down to how Cyrillic was transliterated into Latin characters.

Not in this case, although there are many instances when a sensible transliteration/transcription from Cyrillic to Latin is just not possible, either distorting the correct pronunciation or completely ignoring the original orthography.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes, linguistics is indeed a very interesting science. Just a small correction though, the difference between k-g, t-d, s-z etc. is solely in the voicedness (i.e. the vocal chords vibrate when pronouncing g d z, but they don't when pronouncing k t s). The positioning of the tongue is exactly the same.

Voiced and unvoiced consonants

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not in this case, although there are many instances when a sensible transliteration/transcription from Cyrillic to Latin is just not possible, either distorting the correct pronunciation or completely ignoring the original orthography.

I see, along the lines of where certain languages have sounds or letters with no direct equivalent in English?

fowler9

Established Member
Not too far off, Gattaca sounds like a planet in Star Wars or Star Trek or something! :lol:
Ah mate, sorry for being morbid but there was a news story a few years back about a lad from Liverpool College who killed his parents and went on a bit of a knees up with their cash. The tv news said he was from a wealthy village near Liverpool called Gate Acre. We all thought it was bizarre. We have a habit in Liverpool of calling places like Gateacre, Garston and Woolton "The Village" even though they haven't been villages for hundreds of years. Gateacre is right next door to Belle Vale which is possibly the worst named place on Merseyside. It isn't a beautiful valley.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Ah mate, sorry for being morbid but there was a news story a few years back about a lad from Liverpool College who killed his parents and went on a bit of a knees up with their cash. The tv news said he was from a wealthy village near Liverpool called Gate Acre. We all thought it was bizarre. We have a habit in Liverpool of calling places like Gateacre, Garston and Woolton "The Village" even though they haven't been villages for hundreds of years. Gateacre is right next door to Belle Vale which is possibly the worst named place on Merseyside. It isn't a beautiful valley.

News programmes often seem to get place names wrong. I'm sure there are worse valleys ;)

davsarg

I think standard German pronunciation would be something like "Shin - ig - er - platter" said with no pause between the four sounds. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's how the locals say it. I've always found Swiss German almost impossible to follow! Fortunately, station & on-train announcements are made in "High German".

I've visited there (the Jungfrau Region) loads of times over the years. That combined with conversations I've had with the locals means I can confidently say that the correct pronunciation is "Sheen - ig - er - platter".

While we're in that area of Switzerland, here's another one for you all to try - Zweilütschinen, which is a nearby village and a junction railway station. It took me a few visits to the area to crack how to say that one :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I've visited there (the Jungfrau Region) loads of times over the years. That combined with conversations I've had with the locals means I can confidently say that the correct pronunciation is "Sheen - ig - er - platter".

While we're in that area of Switzerland, here's another one for you all to try - Zweilütschinen, which is a nearby village and a junction railway station. It took me a few visits to the area to crack how to say that one :)

Sheen-ig-er-platter is the only pronunciation I've ever heard.

As for Zweilütschinen I think it's Tsvy-loo-chee-nin, that's certainly how Malcolm Brown said it.

Status
Not open for further replies.