• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube Train conditions on he Harrogate Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waverley125

Harrogate line congestion? Not really news, but well done to the guard in question.

There's definitely the market for a quarter-hourly EMU service right through, especially when you look at potential new stations at Pool (for Bramhope) and Goldsborough A1 Parkway. Given the big commuter belt at Harrogate & Knaresborough for both Leeds & York, i think such a service would definitely fly.

As has been said, moving the 332s north onto the A&W lines would allow us to cascade the 333s. Otherwise even some cascaded 323s from Birmingham would be an improvement.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Dunning

Harrogate line congestion? Not really news, but well done to the guard in question.

There's definitely the market for a quarter-hourly EMU service right through, especially when you look at potential new stations at Pool (for Bramhope) and Goldsborough A1 Parkway. Given the big commuter belt at Harrogate & Knaresborough for both Leeds & York, i think such a service would definitely fly.

As has been said, moving the 332s north onto the A&W lines would allow us to cascade the 333s. Otherwise even some cascaded 323s from Birmingham would be an improvement.

There is a lot of demand for a decent service . (It's not that bad at the moment) The free parking at stations between Knaresboro and York means it's well worth using the line to connect for longer trips. I use Cattal or Hammerton all the time for trips to Mancs Leeds and London. I could see a useful by product of electrification and re-doubling of the single track sections would be running Kings X to York stoppers right the way round to Leeds and vice versa . With an A1 parkway plus the business from Harrogate they'd do well.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Quickest way to relieve a chunk of capacity would be to throw wires up to Horsforth and run a half hourly EMU shuttle stopping at the West Yorkshire Stations, allowing the Diesel services to skip stop. It would solve a significant chunk of the problem.

It would be nice to see the London - York services extended round to Harrogate but I assume that the lack of wires is a problem. Mind you, what is really in the way of electrifying round to Harrogate apart from Knaresborough tunnel?

Nym

Established Member
Politics, it goes through three counties, and the're all arguing over who should pay for it, even though it potentially has a massive BCR

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Quickest way to relieve a chunk of capacity would be to throw wires up to Horsforth and run a half hourly EMU shuttle stopping at the West Yorkshire Stations, allowing the Diesel services to skip stop. It would solve a significant chunk of the problem.

It would be nice to see the London - York services extended round to Harrogate but I assume that the lack of wires is a problem. Mind you, what is really in the way of electrifying round to Harrogate apart from Knaresborough tunnel?

Nothing of any consequence. They should get it done with.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Politics, it goes through three counties, and the're all arguing over who should pay for it, even though it potentially has a massive BCR

Actually only two, but they are very different. You have West Yorkshire from Leeds to Horsforth, and they traditionally have a big transport budget and are very interested. Then the remainder of the line is in North Yorkshire, who traditionally have a small transport budget and are decidedly un-interested in any investment. Harrogate is, however, very influential so you never know what might happen in the long run.

I suppose ultimately it's just another example of the traditional North / South divide in transport spending. It is always galling to read about even more platform extensions and new trains for the southern counties, while lots of extremely busy lines in the north are left to struggle on with 2 car DMUs. There is a lot of suppressed demand out there. Look at what happened when they electrified Leeds North West? Ok, it was some time ago now, but when my family moved to Yorkshire in 1992 my dad would commute into Leeds and it was a 2 or 3 car pacer that often wasn't full. The service was far less frequent than it is now. Almost overnight when the wires went up and the service pattern and capacity got better (albeit originally with the Class 308 units) the passenger volumes increased, and have continued to do so ever since, resulting in even more trains running. In an area like Leeds or Manchester where there is a good network of local lines in and out of the city there should be a big push for small scale electrification of the local networks. But I suspect I will be long retired before that happens.

In the short to medium term, I was only discussing in the pub last night that the next big transport panic will be in about 5 - 10 years time. The majority of the diesels used on the network (Pacers and Class 150/ 156 units) are now 25 years old ish. There are only a certain number of things you can do to make them last longer. Just like there was in the 1980s when they built the pacers in a panic as the conventional DMUs were getting life expired, there will be another similar scenario soon when everything suddenly becomes life expired at the same time. In 15 years time there will still be a small fleet of pacers clinging on for life bouncing to Rose Hill and Marple each day, with enthusiasts travelling from far and wide to ride the heritage units - in the same way the Class 101s clinged on longer than anyone thought.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I think that if Harrogate/Knaresborough were in West Yorkshire we'd see the line from Leeds to there electrified (with an hourly DMU from Harrogate to York).

TBH, that'd be a fair compromise in the medium term, I'd accept that.

Anvil1984

Established Member
The thing is the Harrogate line isn't that badly done to really, sure it can be better but the majority of thw diagrams are either 3 car (the Leeds to Knaresborough services are nearly all 155+153) or 4 car (half the Leeds - York diagrams are 2 x 150). The problem is the remaining one or two 14x operated diagrams: they are too small for purpose and they struggle at Crimple Curve

I agree with the point of electrication even if it is just to Knaresborough with shuttle initially but the whole line needs a revamp especially at north tip, the time lost due to token system is an irritation to say least

tbtc

Veteran Member
The thing is the Harrogate line isn't that badly done to really, sure it can be better but the majority of thw diagrams are either 3 car (the Leeds to Knaresborough services are nearly all 155+153) or 4 car (half the Leeds - York diagrams are 2 x 150). The problem is the remaining one or two 14x operated diagrams: they are too small for purpose and they struggle at Crimple Curve

I agree with the point of electrication even if it is just to Knaresborough with shuttle initially but the whole line needs a revamp especially at north tip, the time lost due to token system is an irritation to say least

It gets a fair deal (when compared to other Northern DMU routes out of Leeds), the doubled up DMUs are needed, its just such a good candidate for electrification (self contained Northern services, electrified at both ends, has a daily HST with scope for more London services...), thats the only reason I'm against the DMU operation as things stand.

Anvil1984

Established Member
I wasn't arguing I agree as someone who works on the route most days, just pointing out not every service is hellish, just one or two unit diagrams. The service could do with a lot of things and improvements.

Electrification to increase capacity and help acceleration and to aid timekeeping.
Resignalling to enable more Horsforth turnbacks and make the current ones at Knaresborugh more efficient and along with redoubling the north part of the line to allow more services.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I wasn't arguing I agree as someone who works on the route most days, just pointing out not every service is hellish, just one or two unit diagrams. The service could do with a lot of things and improvements.

Electrification to increase capacity and help acceleration and to aid timekeeping.
Resignalling to enable more Horsforth turnbacks and make the current ones at Knaresborugh more efficient and along with redoubling the north part of the line to allow more services.

Gets my vote.

I guess another benefit of electrification is that it'd allow the Harrogate diagrams to be interworked with "Shipley" ones, which might help (IIRC the 333s from one service into Leeds work out as another?)

Anvil1984

Established Member
Could interwork it with something but it does ok at the moment with only 10 mins or so layover at Leeds.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member

Actually Three...

West Yorkshire
Harrogate District
Hambleton District

There is a difference between counties and districts.

West Yorkshire is a county. North Yorkshire is a county.

Harrogate and Hambleton are districts which are part of the county of North Yorkshire - who ultimately controls all the public transport expenditure.

rmt-driver

The thing is, is there anything wrong in principle with stock that's fitted out like a Tube train, in the same way as LO 378s? Minimal seating, but maximum capacity.

Just to be pedantic the D78 units that they want to use on the Harrogate line, are not tube trains :p and each carriage has a little 2 + 2 seating as well as the longitudinal seating.

It is funny when people refer to the Metropolitan trains as tube trains, considering they are the widest trains running in the country :o

I think a 6 or even 3 car D78 train will be longer with much greater capacity than anything that currently works the line now!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hmmm, thought that PT was the responsibility of the council wards, rather than NRYCC/NYCC
No. The responsibility for transport rests at County level.

ChrisJ

If you attended the meeting held in Harrogate back in August, you would know that Harrrogate Council are ambivolent about what type of electrification the route might get, be it 25kV or 750v DC, they just want electrification with trains that work and are adequate to carry the high volumes reliably on an all-day 15" interval service. District Line trains were suggested because it appeared no other stock would be available for the foreseeable and 750v DC electrification is better than no electrification. Anyone who knows D78 trains will know the seats are wider than 142/144/150 etc., with much more legroom and most have armrests. There are nearly 300 seats per train. The District Line end to end is a similar length to the Leeds-Harrogate-York Line so the trains could be a good option. However, if suitable 25kV rolling stock can be identified I'm pretty sure 25kV would be pursued.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No. The responsibility for transport rests at County level.

There are three transport authorities with interest in the route (NYCC, WYPTE and YCC). It is thought they all now agree that electrification of some sort is needed.
Might be a nice unit to run on it, but still one of the thickest ideas I've ever heard!

It certainly is not thick. It has achieved exactly what the promoters wanted - a significant increase in awareness of the problems faced by the route, and a consensus that electrification is essential, when the rail industry processes had otherwise virtually ignored its existence because of the fragmented interests of three separate transport authorities. For anyone who uses the route, this is a huge leap forward.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
If you attended the meeting held in Harrogate back in August, you would know that Harrrogate Council are ambivolent about what type of electrification the route might get, be it 25kV or 750v DC, they just want electrification with trains that work and are adequate to carry the high volumes reliably on an all-day 15" interval service. District Line trains were suggested because it appeared no other stock would be available for the foreseeable and 750v DC electrification is better than no electrification. Anyone who knows D78 trains will know the seats are wider than 142/144/150 etc., with much more legroom and most have armrests. There are nearly 300 seats per train. The District Line end to end is a similar length to the Leeds-Harrogate-York Line so the trains could be a good option. However, if suitable 25kV rolling stock can be identified I'm pretty sure 25kV would be pursued.

There are three transport authorities with interest in the route (NYCC, WYPTE and YCC). It is thought they all now agree that electrification of some sort is needed.

It certainly is not thick. It has achieved exactly what the promoters wanted - a significant increase in awareness of the problems faced by the route, and a consensus that electrification is essential, when the rail industry processes had otherwise virtually ignored its existence because of the fragmented interests of three separate transport authorities. For anyone who uses the route, this is a huge leap forward.

All replies i have had in enquiries say that they do not want to have 25KV AC as it would ruin the view..... If they have said to the contary then im very pleased to hear it. And i read it an few reports too. I use the line and i would not like the current proposal to be agreed, i really don't think it would be suitable. The main issue in the line is the capcity between leeds and horsforth, if you could upgrade it to allow for 4tph leeds horsforth you could run two trains non stop to horsforth and then onwards and two that terminate at horsforth (stock allowing) then you wouldnt get as much overcrowding on the first part of the line. And again stock allowing you could increase service from york by redoubling a few sections.

An awful lot less to go wrong than trying to run D78 stock into leeds and york... Plus if this happens, it could make the area a more expensive stand alone unit where future benefits for leeds rail would pass it by.

If the idea was to try and raise awareness however then it was a very good idea as it certainly has increased awareness, and hopefully someone will come along and modernise the line. I know there are some current signalling upgrades about to start but i cant see them really achieving much with current stock numbers,

Im with tbtc on this completely, its a self contained line that could potentially free up up to 10 DMU carriges while also tapping into a wealthy and very large rail market all along the line. Im thinking the kind of patronage increases you got when the airdale and wharfdale lines were modernised. 2 319s an hour throughout with 2 extra an hour to knaresbrough? sounds lovely.

Plus today it left about 20 people twice in a row at burley park, with 2 car units operating... :/

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Well if the third rail proposal went ahead, Cl319s could still operate with only relatively minor modifications.....

Poggs

Well if the third rail proposal went ahead, Cl319s could still operate with only relatively minor modifications.....

IIRC, the only new third rail installations permitted are extensions of an existing installation.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
IIRC, the only new third rail installations permitted are extensions of an existing installation.

The "District Line to Harrogate" Plan involved side contact third rail as part of it, its fundamental to it so I assumed that if it was to go ahead that little prohibition would be brushed aside.

As for Cl319s the modifications would require them to be adapted to use side contact shoes, although as Metro-North and the LIRR have apparently managed to prove, this does not neccesarily mean preventing them from operating on top contact systems as well.

tbtc

Veteran Member
750v DC electrification is better than no electrification

...and a Pacer is better than no train. But thats no reason to spend significant sums of money on the wrong system, and be lumbered with it for a generation - we are still paying the price for short term decisions made twenty five years ago.

Anyone who knows D78 trains will know the seats are wider than 142/144/150 etc

Anyone who knows D78 trains will know that they are over thirty years old, so older than the 142/144/150s that they are intended to replace. Not exactly a long term solution.

Ah, this is the problem with the modern world. "Awareness" is more important than actually doing something.

Its like those Facebook statuses intended to raise "awareness" of something which we all know is a problem, and doesn't make any real difference. But, hey, it makes for some nice cheap headlines at minimal cost, it gets some councillors in the media, even if it makes no difference to the commuters.

Off-topic slightly but I was on the 13.29 Leeds to York yesterday which was formed of a single 150 (150270). Is that normal as I thought they were all doubles.

Anvil1984

Established Member
There was a lot of disruption and units out of place at Leeds yesterday, 150270 was supposed to be on Harrogate line all day and started at York with another 150 (and me) on the 0653 York - Harrogate - Leeds then was split off to go to Morecambe at 0819 instead of its booked work, it probably got put back onto Harrogate workings when it got back at 1255. There was problems on Calder Valley line mid morning which meant units were stepped up and moved around which has an impact even a few hours later

Status
Not open for further replies.