• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Has there been any more talk of this new depot that they are supposed to be building beyond the station at South Shields? All quiet on that front.

Person A

Only place worth going to on the system;):p:D

I'm quite happy going down there. Prefer that run to the round the coast run. Even happier coming back, mind....;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Has there been any more talk of this new depot that they are supposed to be building beyond the station at South Shields? All quiet on that front.
Thats all news to me. On the sidings, or where the old South Shields station was ?

Established Member
Only place worth going to on the system;):p:D

Sometimes I wish it would speed past the Stadium of Light, but it never does. :(

Person A said:
Thats all news to me. On the sidings, or where the old South Shields station was ?

Somewhere on the sidings, I was told it would mean that trains could run earlier from South Shields in the morning as Metros could be stabled there overnight, so not needing a run from South Gosforth.

TrainBrain185

I'm quite happy going down there. Prefer that run to the round the coast run. Even happier coming back, mind....;)

A new depot could well be in the pipeline, only when the current Metro-Cammell fleet is "eventually" retired. I expect that the next generation of rolling stock will be provided on a build and maintain contract in a similar fashion as Siemens is working with First Group TPE for example.
When Sunderland Direct (if you can call it that) was under construction I heard rumours that a small depot on Sunderland may have been built. Alas, not.
Sometimes I wish it would speed past the Stadium of Light, but it never does.
142's and occasional 156's is the remedy to that request....:lol:

Established Member
A new depot could well be in the pipeline, only when the current Metro-Cammell fleet is "eventually" retired. I expect that the next generation of rolling stock will be provided on a build and maintain contract in a similar fashion as Siemens is working with First Group TPE for example.
When Sunderland Direct (if you can call it that) was under construction I heard rumours that a small depot on Sunderland may have been built. Alas, not.

Apparently this is going to be very soon, within the next coupleof years. If what I've been told is correct it will be built long before any new stock is introduced.

TrainBrain185 said:
142's and occasional 156's is the remedy to that request....:lol:

They still go too slow! Most of the time they are stuck behind a Metro when I'm on them...

Person A

Apparently this is going to be very soon, within the next coupleof years. If what I've been told is correct it will be built long before any new stock is introduced.
Heard nothing about any new depot at work.
Drivers are the last to hear anything though (honestly. People think I'm pulling their leg. Its true though)
My boss WAS interested about the old, overgrown, mineral line to Washington though....
They still go too slow! Most of the time they are stuck behind a Metro when I'm on them...
Sometimes thats caused by yobs - like I got on Friday night at S.O.L.<(

Established Member
The planned epot was mentioned at the Question Time event and I've heard it again after that as well. A few years back it was said that if it was opened it would make a link between South Shields and Brockley Whins more viable. Can't see that small link costing very much to build.

Established Member
Not to worry, just another 88 to go!! Then another 90 to return. By the end of this project, there will be tracks forged on the A1 with the low loader wheels...

Lol aye, might be able to see one on the A1 one day if I get out in the car.

AutoKratz

Last night another Metro left for Doncaster. Unfortunately I couldn't see which number it was as I was traveling at 70 in the opposite direction. <D

How many have left in Newcastle now? Will Metro have a new timetable as more are moved for refurbishment?

:D

Established Member
Don't know about a new timetable bit there is going to be some major work in the spring, with a blockade of the line between Byker and North Shields IIRC for a few weeks.

blue sabre

Any images of the progress WabTec are making with the refurbs? Or is it totally under wraps?

Person A

Any images of the progress WabTec are making with the refurbs? Or is it totally under wraps?

Actually, there are a few. I asked my boss at work if he was OK with me posting any of the pics and he seemed OK with it. Remember - these are phone photos so don't expect wonders.
Well - the effing things didn't upload....
Got it sussed.
The colours are yellow doors etc etc
Not sure if Im OK to print THAT pic.

Attachments

• Metro upgrading (1).jpg
    Metro upgrading (1).jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Metro upgrading (3).jpg
    Metro upgrading (3).jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

StoneRoad

Thanks for posting the images of the Metrocars at Wabtec.
(my contact with the Metro goes back to the construction era!)
Interesting!

As a comparison -

Currently work is underway on the refurbishment of the passenger cars from the Saltburn Cliff Lift.

http://stanegaterestorationsandreplicas.fotopic.net/p68943159.html

There should be some more images by the end of this week.....further progress in being made. ;)

Person A

Actually, just noticed I took a couple of pics during the snow that stopped everything but our metros. Took these while waiting for my train. No buses - all off yet I STILL had whining old men that the train was "late" - it was ONE minute late !
Sorry the pics are a little blurred. It was a bit of a blizzard and my hands were freezin' (had forgotten my gloves)

Attachments

• Last couple days in November 2010 (2).jpg
    Last couple days in November 2010 (2).jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Last couple days in November 2010 (1).jpg
    Last couple days in November 2010 (1).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 81

Established Member
Thanks for the pictures, certainly is some work going into them. I still haven't worked out why Nexus decided to install the new automatic announcements and displays, only for them to be removed when all of them go down to Doncaster.

Person A

Thanks for the pictures, certainly is some work going into them. I still haven't worked out why Nexus decided to install the new automatic announcements and displays, only for them to be removed when all of them go down to Doncaster.

They're actually having a ton of bother with them. But they ARE continuing with the announcements, as Nexus paid up front for them.

Established Member
On the Nexus forum there is a thread about them. Quite a few complaints about the frequency of the announcements and I've complained about the accent :)

Is the job at Donny still to schedule or will it be down there for a bit longer after it was due back?

cdonnigan

Very, very interesting that post by eezypeazy. If you travel from Central to Morpeth, just after Argyle Street bridge you can still see the remains of the line that would have run north to east, which has been filled in with concrete (in the same style as much of the Metro infrastructure as well).

There is also an entrance to something next to the BT building on Melbourne Street, the front of which has yellow enamel panelling again like most Metro stations. Not sure if this is some sort of access to the underground section?

this is the service line between manors and which joins just past the entrance of jesmond i believe used by trains out of service wanting to get back to the depot without going right round the coast

Person A

this is the service line between manors and which joins just past the entrance of jesmond i believe used by trains out of service wanting to get back to the depot without going right round the coast

Yeah, thats what it is.
There was one occasion last year when the line came down, and I was told at Byker to go back facing road - back the way I'd come to Manors then "Go up the curve" (for thats what it's known as) back to Benton and I'd asked several people if they'd want dropped off at West Jesmond so they could get the train round the opposite direction, only 3 listened, 3 women, 2 in their late 40s and a girl late teens. The rest were charvers - who, if you didn't swear a lot, and talk text-speek they were baffled.
I explained how the train goes at a virtually right angle up the curve, then towards and past old Jesmond station, get the sub, then onto next sub before back on main line. Its a single line. There used to be a lot of old stuff around there from way back when. What used to be buildings, old line, even what seemed like an old 6 cubicle toilet ! All gone now.
On the Nexus forum there is a thread about them. Quite a few complaints about the frequency of the announcements and I've complained about the accent :)

Is the job at Donny still to schedule or will it be down there for a bit longer after it was due back?

I gather it's a little longer, because when they stripped everything away the flooring etc was a little worse than they'd thought, and more work needed. (Always the case though isn't it ? Certainly in this country)
But they should be coming back roughly the date originally agreed, it'll take longer for the first one, discussions over driving chair, set up decor etc, then once agreed the rest will take a fraction of the time.
I gathered DB want the new liveries to coincide with new uniforms for us - they still haven't decided. Shirts and ties or Polo shirts, ordinary pants or cargo pants.
Pants will be dark though, and coats'll stop being green, more likely dark grey or black jackets and polo shirts.
Could do with new stuff, getting desperate for new uniforms !:lol:

Last edited:

Established Member
Yeah, thats what it is.
There was one occasion last year when the line came down, and I was told at Byker to go back facing road - back the way I'd come to Manors then "Go up the curve" (for thats what it's known as) back to Benton and I'd asked several people if they'd want dropped off at West Jesmond so they could get the train round the opposite direction, only 3 listened, 3 women, 2 in their late 40s and a girl late teens. The rest were charvers - who, if you didn't swear a lot, and talk text-speek they were baffled.
I explained how the train goes at a virtually right angle up the curve, then towards and past old Jesmond station, get the sub, then onto next sub before back on main line. Its a single line. There used to be a lot of old stuff around there from way back when. What used to be buildings, old line, even what seemed like an old 6 cubicle toilet ! All gone now.

I've been asking to see what happens when the Byker - Tynemouth section is closed, to see if they would consider running via the Manors curve in service. Apparently not - lack of will is my opinion on why they won't do it. I need that section of line as well.

I gather it's a little longer, because when they stripped everything away the flooring etc was a little worse than they'd thought, and more work needed. (Always the case though isn't it ? Certainly in this country)
But they should be coming back roughly the date originally agreed, it'll take longer for the first one, discussions over driving chair, set up decor etc, then once agreed the rest will take a fraction of the time.
I gathered DB want the new liveries to coincide with new uniforms for us - they still haven't decided. Shirts and ties or Polo shirts, ordinary pants or cargo pants.
Pants will be dark though, and coats'll stop being green, more likely dark grey or black jackets and polo shirts.
Could do with new stuff, getting desperate for new uniforms !:lol:

Thought it might take a bit longer. I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll look like.

Paul_10

Actually, there are a few. I asked my boss at work if he was OK with me posting any of the pics and he seemed OK with it. Remember - these are phone photos so don't expect wonders.
Well - the effing things didn't upload....
Got it sussed.
The colours are yellow doors and the body a kind of dark grey (Kaiser Grey)
Not sure if Im OK to print THAT pic.

I've been reading this thread for a good while now and i'm interested in the above pics and particularly interested to read that the livery could be more of a dark grey and not white like it would seem was originally planned. Personally although grey is not the brightest colour, its much better than white as its just turn dirty quickly in particular the winter months although I suppose we have to wait and see for the first train to come back from Doncaster.

I'm also interested to know how DB Regio/Nexus will handle the next 3 trains leaving for refurb when the 3 trains in refurb at the moment finally return to Tyneside, will they send the next 3 trains off on the same day or will they send them one at a time in the days following? Be interesting how they do it seeing as DB set themselves an hasty target of refurbising all 90 metrocars by late 2015.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Apparently, once the first is done, it should average 6 weeks per car
Becaue when one old thing is stripped down and thoroughly examined for decay, erosion, stress and fractures, and work out some effective remedies, then we can assume that that the decay in all the other old things will be remedied by the same operations.
Hmmmm.
I really hope they're right, but I fear that over time, rot, damage and decay has a habit of manifesting itself in a wide variety of symptoms. Still, this is what Wabtec do every day, so hopefully these estimates aren't too far off.

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone knew the type of work and timeframe for teh last major overhaul of the Metrocars that was done at Gosforth?

Status
Not open for further replies.