• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ugliest Train in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRX

Established Member
Going a bit off topic.... but I've always thought many SNCF locos are quite ugly brutes.

agYLZLq_700b.jpg

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think they look worse in Dutch yellow.

Actually, most NS rolling stock is ugly. The "dog snouts" don't look good on anything other than a Class 37 or Deltic.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think they look worse in Dutch yellow.

Actually, most NS rolling stock is ugly. The "dog snouts" don't look good on anything other than a Class 37 or Deltic.

OBJECTION!

The MAT-54 "Hondekop" (dog-head) units are/were rather handsome beasts, especially in the older green livery:
vintage-dutch-electric-train-materieel-mat-hondekop-utrecht-netherlands-februari-fdutch-nederlandse-spoorwegen-ns-54767347.jpg

BRX

Established Member
Yeah I don't mind the Dutch units, either those ones or these ones

1488780292.jpg

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's not a proper ICE anyway, the top speed is lower. But I agree it's pretty nasty looking - in particular it needs round door windows like the other ones.

If we're getting onto European trains, this takes some beating for being pig-ugly and generally rubbish.

1200px-ED161-004%2C_Trako_2015%2C_2015-09-25_%28Muri_WG_2015-34%29.jpg

PESA DART

On Moderation
If we're going foreign ugly, this cheap, nasty, horrible plastic thing from Queensland is positively vile...
QR plastic.jpg

BRX

Established Member
Now THAT is ugly!

The Dutch and the Belgians never quite got the hang of through-gangwayed units...
Exhibit B:
RM-Jan-p42.jpg

I don't mind those either. Also seen in Denmark.

Both these and the Dutch Koploper can connect with a through gangway...arguably in more elegant manner than most UK units which interrupt the driver's view with a door.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If we're going foreign ugly, this cheap, nasty, horrible plastic thing from Queensland is positively vile...
View attachment 45118
Yikes.
Sorry to plagiarise your photo 43096, but if you turn it upside down - this bit looks like it was stolen from the front of a milk float...
E50E6F82-2167-400D-A228-BEAFB935257C.jpeg

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I don't mind those either. Also seen in Denmark.

Both these and the Dutch Koploper can connect with a through gangway...arguably in more elegant manner than most UK units which interrupt the driver's view with a door.
I'm sure they are better for drivers, particularly compared to the latest British gangwayed units... but they ain't pretty!

Without wishing to divert the thread too far off-topic, does anyone know what actually happens when those Belgian units couple? I saw some already coupled when I was over there but didn't ride them. I have no idea what happens to the cab/control desk!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'm sure they are better for drivers, particularly compared to the latest British gangwayed units... but they ain't pretty!

Without wishing to divert the thread too far off-topic, does anyone know what actually happens when those Belgian units couple? I saw some already coupled when I was over there but didn't ride them. I have no idea what happens to the cab/control desk!

The whole thing hinges back into the unit I believe.

corsaVXR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IC3

information with photos on the wiki link

Ash Bridge

Established Member
No way! The Cassez Nez family are beautiful locos. A CC 7200 in orginal livery looks a right treat! :)

I agree, I always thought of them as the French equivalent to a British 47 although with perhaps a few more horses under the bonnet.

Clansman

Established Member
The 458s for me - an aesthetic shambles.

150/1s also deserve a mention, both outside and in!

cjmillsnun

Established Member
To get back on topic. Ugliest trains in the UK

GTR Class 455/8. They were bad enough to begin with (the /9s look much better) but the cab air con mod... *shudders*

Status
Not open for further replies.