• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK face coverings discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
Clearly you must have evidence of that claim.
From my own observations, there was little appetite for face masks anywhere in Cardiff until they were mandatory on public transport. Maybe 10-15% of the passengers wore them. Now that they are mandatory, they are used more elsewhere too. I'd say around 50% wear them in shops.

greyman42

Established Member
You'd need to ask the government, or whoever came up with the phrase, that.

But an old t-shirt strapped over someone's nose and mouth is certainly not a "mask".
And neither is it a face covering. Nor is it serving any useful purpose. I have not seen anyone yet with old t-shirts strapped around their heads but i have seen numerous people wearing masks.

takno

Established Member
And neither is it a face covering. Nor is it serving any useful purpose. I have not seen anyone yet with old t-shirts strapped around their heads but i have seen numerous people wearing masks.
The point is more that bandanas, coverings made from old t-shirts, or for that matter any kind of covering made from woven cloth has a fraction of the physical blocking ability of a proper surgical-style mask, even on the rare occasions when any of them are properly worn. It may be different down your way, but around here well over half the coverings being worn are these makeshift devices rather than proper masks

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Just seen this on Facebook:

View attachment 82920
This is awful. The driver should be disciplined and monitored in future and if he does this again he should get the boot.

Sadly, there are a minority of staff on public transport who, instead of enforcing the law, enforce their own ideals and beliefs, and they should be disciplined accordingly.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I’m disgusted by the driver’s behaviour. If I were on that bus, I’d be getting involved (verbally) on her behalf. If that resulted in the police being summoned, so much the better. The driver would have seen what it’s like to be humiliated in public, when the police backed up the customer

BJames

Established Member
I’m disgusted by the driver’s behaviour. If I were on that bus, I’d be getting involved (verbally) on her behalf. If that resulted in the police being summoned, so much the better. The driver would have seen what it’s like to be humiliated in public, when the police backed up the customer
As would I. I can't stand people acting like that driver, it's not up to him to invent the rules in the way he pleases.

It concerns me that even now people don't realise there are valid exemptions for the face covering law.

greyman42

Established Member
This is one of the reasons why everyone should simply accept that anyone without a mask is exempt and not stick their nose into other people's business.

It concerns me that even now people don't realise there are valid exemptions for the face covering law.
I am sure that people do realise there are exemptions but for some reason that escapes me, they still think that they have a right to police it.

Established Member
Clearly you must have evidence of that claim.
Look at the polls yourself!

There does seem an emerging theme on here of mask enthusiasts asking questions like this and avoiding engaging with the actual issues.
So where should I look?

Do you recall how few people were wearing masks, after the pandemic started, but before they were made mandatory? That’s a good indication of true support.

(posts above are from the social distancing thread, but seemed more appropriate to respond here).

DB

I am sure that people do realise there are exemptions but for some reason that escapes me, they still think that they have a right to police it.

Vigilantism has been pretty much endorsed by the authorities - e.g. the comments by the commissioner of the Metropolitan police. Society's bullies therefore feel that they have free reign.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
Apologies. Should have said this too some people are exempt. Still surprised about the amount of people without them though not just teenagers many middle aged people too.
There are many teenagers who are asthmatic and may find using a mask difficult, know I would have done. Don't find them easy now.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
An interesting experience from my travels yesterday

My wife and I were walking to our platform on a busy central London station.

Police officer approaches and politely asks my wife if she could wear a face covering. She tells officer that she took her mask off for a short time to catch her breath as she has breathing difficulties (which isn't entirely true); however, she takes it out of her bag and puts it back on as she did not wish to make a fuss.

I was wearing my exemption lanyard. Police officer said nothing to me and we continued on our way

Until the next time perhaps...?

ChrisC

Established Member
Apologies. Should have said this too some people are exempt. Still surprised about the amount of people without them though not just teenagers many middle aged people too.

Totally agree that some people should be exempt and have genuine good reasons for being so.
I just hate wearing a face mask, especially in shops, and find them inconvenient and irritating. However, I have always been law abiding and as much as I dislike wearing a face mask I will do so where the law currently requires it.
What did annoy me last week was shopping in my local small Co op, wearing my face mask and struggling to read prices and use by dates etc with my glasses steaming up. Yet there was a group of half a dozen teenage boys, standing blocking the aisle chatting, with no face masks and no social distancing. Is it just my imagination but are there certain groups of teenagers who are not wearing them in shops etc whist others are even wearing them as a fashion item whilst outside in groups walking the streets.

DB

Totally agree that some people should be exempt and have genuine good reasons for being so.
I just hate wearing a face mask, especially in shops, and find them inconvenient and irritating. However, I have always been law abiding and as much as I dislike wearing a face mask I will do so where the law currently requires it.
What did annoy me last week was shopping in my local small Co op, wearing my face mask and struggling to read prices and use by dates etc with my glasses steaming up. Yet there was a group of half a dozen teenage boys, standing blocking the aisle chatting, with no face masks and no social distancing. Is it just my imagination but are there certain groups of teenagers who are not wearing them in shops etc whist others are even wearing them as a fashion item whilst outside in groups walking the streets.

The government's plan is clearly working - those wearing masks are getting irritated with those not wearing them, as intended.

Better to direct your irritation firmly where it belongs - at the weak politicians who have implemented this rule on paper-thin evidence, just to be seen to be doing something and try to keep the Facebook Furloughs happy.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
These are the kind of incidents that the badly
The government's plan is clearly working - those wearing masks are getting irritated with those not wearing them, as intended.

Better to direct your irritation firmly where it belongs - at the weak politicians who have implemented this rule on paper-thin evidence, just to be seen to be doing something and try to keep the Facebook Furloughs happy.
Not only is the rule weak, it is unenforceable, when saying ‘I am exempt’ is all that is required, if challenged.

trebor79

Established Member
What did annoy me last week was shopping in my local small Co op, wearing my face mask and struggling to read prices and use by dates etc with my glasses steaming up.
In my world that's a "reasonable excuse" to not wear a face covering.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I wouldn't get worked up about it. Masks are not required in shops in Wales. We aren't dropping like flies. Were the teens blocking your path? Did they move when you asked?

trebor79

Established Member
Not only is the rule weak, it is unenforceable, when saying ‘I am exempt’ is all that is required, if challenged.
Unfortunately, it appears many people, including those in official positions either do not know or do not want to acknowledge this.

ChrisC

Established Member
I wouldn't get worked up about it. Masks are not required in shops in Wales. We aren't dropping like flies. Were the teens blocking your path? Did they move when you asked?

I can’t really say that I am getting worked up about it. I think it’s just a case that it made me think if I have to a wear a mask why shouldn’t they. Perhaps a better way of looking at it would be if they are not wearing a mask then why should I. They were blocking most of the aisle but I was able to squeeze past without having to ask. I think they were so busy in conversation they didn’t even notice I was there. No problems with them.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I was in Whitstable, Herne Bay and Broadstairs today. I didn’t bother going inside any shops or facilities as I didn’t want an argument about mask wearing. They all have these MUST posters on the doors.

I did buy a book in Faversham yesterday by letting the lady bring the book and card machine to the door.

furlong

Established Member
Another opinion piece:

Do Masks Increase Risk of Transmission?

So overall it is very likely that in the real-world face coverings will lead to increased surface transmission of SARS-CoV-2. They provide a concentrated source of virus, they encourage face touching and could even reduce the use of effective countermeasures like hand washing. Whether face masks cause more harm than they prevent comes down to the risk of infection through the respiratory droplet route via the risk due to surface infection. Exploring this is entirely feasible with appropriately designed studies. The fact that no-one seems intent on really getting to the bottom of the actual usefulness of face covering smacks of the old adage “never ask a question you don’t want to know the answer to”.

WestCoast

Established Member
I had a light disagreement in a Premier Inn today. It’s not a legal requirement for a mask to be worn in hotels right now in Scotland nor is it company policy to enforce yet the manager of the hotel insisted on lecturing one of our party about how important and necessary it is. I told her I am sorry but if you think my sweaty reusable face mask that’s been festering in my dirty pocket all day is anything but a hazard then you’re not actually giving it any thought. To be honest I am relatively happy to comply but people need to honestly start considering how effective the whole policy is given how many people will not be properly using masks.....given that no one has actually told us how we should be using them anyway!!

Established Member
An interesting experience from my travels yesterday

My wife and I were walking to our platform on a busy central London station.

Police officer approaches and politely asks my wife if she could wear a face covering. She tells officer that she took her mask off for a short time to catch her breath as she has breathing difficulties (which isn't entirely true); however, she takes it out of her bag and puts it back on as she did not wish to make a fuss.

I was wearing my exemption lanyard. Police officer said nothing to me and we continued on our way

Until the next time perhaps...?

That doesn’t surprise me. The police are professional law enforcers and, as such, generally know when to exercise their discretion.

Every example of bad behaviour I’ve been made aware of (including those cited on this thread) has come from “amateur” enforcers: jobsworth staff throwing their weight around or vigilante members of the public who enjoy bullying people.

Mintona

Established Member
I haven’t been in a shop since the face covering law came in. Started using a milkman again and he brings us milk, orange juice and bread twice a week which is plenty.

I did go to a zoo at the weekend and in certain places (covered viewing area for lions etc) it stated ‘face coverings must be worn’. However by peering in I could see that nobody else was wearing one in there so I wasn’t about to either. I did put one on to collect a sandwich in the cafe though.

I’ve entered a couple of takeaway establishments to collect food, and in the beginning wore a mask (going into a food places has been the extent of my mask wearing thus far). However, again, being the only person in any of them to actually be wearing a mask, I’ve stopped bothering with that now too.

I have noticed however rather a lot of spots appearing on my chin, and I’m not sure if it’s related. I’m too old to have growing spots now and it’s not something I’ve had before, so maybe I’ve got a bit of mask rash or something. If that’s even a thing.

AM9

Veteran Member
All passengers on an inbound Tui flight from Zante to Cardiff have been told to self-isolate after seven passengers have tested positive for COVID-19. Reports have described how enforcement of rules on the wearing of face coverings were inadequate. See here:

All passengers who were on a flight to Wales from a Greek island have been told to self-isolate after some on board tested positive for coronavirus.

Health officials say seven people from three different parties on Tui flight 6215 from Zante to Cardiff on Tuesday have tested positive for Covid-19.

Public Health Wales (PHW) is contacting the 193 passengers and crew on board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
All passengers on an inbound Tui flight from Zante to Cardiff have been told to self-isolate after seven passengers have tested positive for COVID-19. Reports have described how enforcement of rules on the wearing of face coverings were inadequate. See here:

Standard scare mongering!

The woman quoted “Stephanie from Cardiff” admits she had already decided to isolate before hearing about the positive cases (!) because she didn’t approve of the way other passengers were (or weren’t) wearing masks. I suspect she isn’t the sharpest knife in the draw, yet that doesn’t stop the BBC quoting her!

Which says it all, really. Whether masks would actually have made a difference or not isn’t even considered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.