• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK General Election 2024

Welly

I live in a safe Tory seat (so safe it's Job Centre is sited opposite the Conservative Club!) but I can't bring myself to vote Tory this time round. I will vote tactically for the the party that came second back in 2017 - at least this will leave my conscience clear even if my seat stays blue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
Which is, hopefully, something that they don't do with your vote ;)
Good point. Any clerical errors by electoral services can be dealt with on the day up to a time I can't remember so I won't quote it. It's not 10 pm.

If anyone moves addresses don't forget to register. Also check where your polling station is. They do sometimes move.

Does anyone know if Purdah has now started or does that officially start when parliament is dissolved.

I am wondering in terms of radio and TV coverage. It annoys me that newspaper can do what they like but TV and radio cannot.

I might make it a law that newspapers must provide the same representative coverage as TV and radio and that they must kiat all the candidates

If that is too staffing for political debate and reporting then it's time they loosened it for TV and radio.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
So reform are standing candidates in 630 out of 650 seats (assuming missing Northern Ireland). Based on recent bi elections this should split the Tory vote.
They've got two weeks or so to find another 500 plus in that case, and pretend to do some sort of vetting on them. Between the time the nominations have closed and the election, expect multiple cases of candidates exposed as misogynist racists with criminal convictions, etc etc.

Monty Panesar is now available if they're that desperate.:smile:

Gloster

Established Member
Does anyone know if Purdah has now started or does that officially start when parliament is dissolved.

According to Wikipedia it starts on the day Parliament is dissolved: that should be next Thursday. That is also supposed to be the official start of the campaign, however I though it had been going on for months already.

jfollows

Established Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purdah_(pre-election_period) says
The pre-election period (formerly known as Purdah (/ˈpɜːrdə/)) is the period in the United Kingdom between the announcement of an election and the formation of the new elected government.
For the 4 July 2024 United Kingdom general election, purdah began on 22 May.[15]
More reliably and with greater authority, see https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn05262/

When is it?​

On 22 May 2024 the Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak, announced there would be a general election on 4 July 2024.

For a general election to the UK Parliament the pre-election period of sensitivity is not set to a particular date. At the 2019 General Election the period started when Parliament was dissolved, 25 working days before polling day. The pre-election period for the 2024 General Election will be set in due course.
The Wikipedia date is from an article in the Swindon Advertiser! A reminder that Wikipedia contains a lot of stuff and nonsense. EDIT It’s actually worse than that because Wikipedia states the date of 22 May with a reference to the Swindon Advertiser which has no mention of a date at all!

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
According to Wikipedia it starts on the day Parliament is dissolved: that should be next Thursday. That is also supposed to be the official start of the campaign, however I though it had been going on for months already.
Well LBC have already mentioned the green party in the last day or two so are they going beyond the pre-election period or do Ofcom demand even more from them?

I personally prefer the word purdah. Less wordy and I like the sound of it more.

brad465

Established Member
Something I've just seen pointed out: it's well known this election will be on what's Independence Day in the US, but the US Presidential Election will be on the 5th November, our Guy Fawkes Day, which means one country sets off fireworks while the other elects its government on both occasions.

BrianW

Established Member
Something I've just seen pointed out: it's well known this election will be on what's Independence Day in the US, but the US Presidential Election will be on the 5th November, our Guy Fawkes Day, which means one country sets off fireworks while the other elects its government on both occasions.
Perhaps the ScotNats will make something of this?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Trust me please! That very interesting fact was immediately noticed by me.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
North Durham MP Kevan Jones has stepped down from is duties in Parliament ahead of July's general election, as he prepares to have surgery and receive treatment for an ongoing condition. The 60-year-old Labour MP who was born in Worksop has represented his constituency since 2001, but will not stand for his position in the recently announced public vote.
Jones took to social media to break the news at 5pm this evening, speaking of how he was honoured and privileged to have represented the people of the North East for 23 years. He wrote: "It has been an honour and a privilege to represent the people of North Durham in Parliament since 2001"It has been a difficult decision to take to decide that I will not be a candidate at the forthcoming General Election. In early June I will be undergoing surgery and treatment for an ongoing condition, which would make it impossible for me to fight the campaign that I and my constituents would expect me to do so."I know from being a Minister in the last Labour Government the difference a Labour Government will make to our country. Under Keir Starmer's leadership we are now in a position to once again provide a genuine alternative to the destructive and negative Conservative Government we have had for the last 14 years.

"Our main aim now is to get that Labour Government elected, which this country desperately needs."

Jones also reflected on an outstanding 23-year career in representing his constituency, speaking of all of the opportunities he has had in his more than two decade role as an MP. He added: "Over the last 23 years, I have had the privilege of meeting and helping thousands of constituents in North Durham and I am proud of the constituency's continuing strong sense of community and vibrant voluntary sector."I hope that my efforts as your Member of Parliament have helped to support this. Since first being elected, I have championed the cause of the defence and security of our nation, and particularly the efforts of those who served to keep us safe. It has been a privilege to have been a Defence Minister, member of the Defence Select Committee, Intelligence and Security Committee, a Vice President of NATO Parliamentary Assembly, and a Commonwealth War Graves Commissioner.

"Over the years, I have taken up and championed many individual cases for constituents but also campaigned on broader issues including the plight of miners' compensation and for a number of years on the justice for sub-postmasters campaign. It is satisfying that those who have suffered for far too long in the case of the Post Office Horizon scandal are now being heard and injustice has been recognised."I hope that my efforts on their behalf helped contribute in some small way to this outcome. I am sad to be leaving the House of Commons but would like to thank the people of North Durham and my supporters who gave me the opportunity to serve them."

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer tweeted: "Kevan, thank you for 23 years of service to your constituents, as Minister of Defence, and for your tireless campaigning on issues like Horizon. I’m grateful for your long support of me and the integral role you’ve played in changing our Party. My best wishes for your treatment.

Either way, Durham North will have a new MP after the election. A longstanding Labour figure gone, surprisingly as he most likely would've been re-elected.

Established Member
They've got two weeks or so to find another 500 plus in that case, and pretend to do some sort of vetting on them. Between the time the nominations have closed and the election, expect multiple cases of candidates exposed as misogynist racists with criminal convictions, etc etc.

But mostly they will be people with no particular intelligence who will just trot out the party line. (That's based on observation of the UKIP candidate where I live a few years ago.)

JamesT

Established Member
Was it me, or was much of the mainstream TV coverage last night, essentially political correspondents interviewing each other, interspersed (padded out) with extensive pre-recorded clipshow-style footage?
That's pretty much standard for political reporting these days.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Perhaps the ScotNats will make something of this?

Don't encourage them ;) They've already managed to deduce that having the election on July 4th is somehow an act of disrespect towards Scotland. (link).

BBC said:
First Minister John Swinney says the decision to hold a general election as Scottish schools begin their summer break is the "latest act of disrespect" from the UK government.

Gloster

Established Member
The trouble for the news programmes is that if they hand back to the studio and resume normal programmes immediately, they risk missing something in the wake of the announcement. You might get someone making a further announcement or something dramatic happens: the sound of a shot or Hunt standing in the door way shouting, “There isn’t any money left for tax bribes. We’re stuffed. I’m off to join the Flower Pot Men.” So they have to stay there just in case: no news outlet can afford to be the one that missed the drama.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A prediction, overall turnout will be less than 60% with some people deciding not to bother voting because neither main option are that appealing (like voting between eating poo or drinking vomit)

Either that or there will be a lot more spoilt ballot papers with "None of the Above" written on them.

Established Member
That is a little unfair. No matter what anyone thinks of Farage, he is highly intelligent.
I was commenting on the probable character of the majority of the Reform Party candidates who must quickly be found if the party is going to contest a majority of the constituencies on 4 July. I wasn't commenting on Nigel Farage, and he wasn't the candidate I was referring to. I agree that he is highly intelligent, and also remarkably articulate.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Gordon Brown stuck around until May 11 2010 after May 6 election, for example.

Only Thursday by convention, not by law. It makes sense to be able to clear out the loser over the weekend, though.
Why is it convention that elections are on a Thursday?

JamesT

Established Member
Why is it convention that elections are on a Thursday?
Allegedly the historical reasons include keeping it far away from Sunday to avoid influence from the minister’s sermon, Friday was payday so everyone would be in the pub, and Thursday was market day so people would be in town anyway and could vote.

nw1

Established Member
Interestingly most of continental Europe seems to go Sunday, and the USA Tuesday. Not sure if we're unique in choosing Thursday?

Gloster

Established Member
I wonder if the investigation by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards into Miriam Cates (Conservative, Penistone and Stocksbridge) will be completed and the results published before the election. What she did that could have caused ‘significant damage to the reputation’ of the Commons and its members has been kept quiet, but if the (few and very unconfirmed) rumours have any truth in them it is definitely something her constituents should be aware of and the party would not want brought up again.

najaB

Veteran Member
US elections are always Tuesday for some reason.
It's established by law:
The Tuesday next after the 1st Monday in November, in every even numbered year, is established as the day for the election, in each of the States and Territories of the United States, of Representatives and Delegates to the Congress commencing on the 3d day of January next thereafter.
Link: 2 U.S. Code § 7

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Interestingly most of continental Europe seems to go Sunday, and the USA Tuesday. Not sure if we're unique in choosing Thursday?
Think the Netherlands holds some (but by no means all) elections on a Thursday.

dangie

Established Member
Probably should go under the thread 'Things that annoy you', but I hate the term 'Battleground' the news broadcasters use when referring to constituencies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Probably should go under the thread 'Things that annoy you', but I hate the term 'Battleground' the news broadcasters use when referring to constituencies.
The honourable exception might be Bexhill and Battle constituency. :smile: Funnily enough, I was just speaking to a friend tonight who explained boundary changes had switched her to an adjoining one.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
A prediction, overall turnout will be less than 60% with some people deciding not to bother voting because neither main option are that appealing (like voting between eating poo or drinking vomit)

Either that or there will be a lot more spoilt ballot papers with "None of the Above" written on them.
Good grief! The one time I was moved to spoil my ballot I certainly wasn't going to the effort of actually writing something. A simple large cross over the whole slip was enough.

Usually outgoing to Buckingham Palace and then incoming on the Friday.

Thursday makes sense.

US elections are always Tuesday for some reason.
Similar to UK but allowing time to actually collect all the ballots from far flung locations, especially Alaska. Presumably.

najaB

Veteran Member
Similar to UK but allowing time to actually collect all the ballots from far flung locations, especially Alaska. Presumably.
The legislation setting the timing of US elections pre-dates Alaskan statehood by quite a margin (over 80 years!). In any case, each state runs its own election so there's no need to bring the ballots to a central location.