• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK General Election 2024

infobleep

Veteran Member
A prediction, overall turnout will be less than 60% with some people deciding not to bother voting because neither main option are that appealing (like voting between eating poo or drinking vomit)

Either that or there will be a lot more spoilt ballot papers with "None of the Above" written on them.
Having worked at a count, things far ruder than none of the above appear on ballot papers.

How the election agents amd staff keep a straight face when showing these ballot papers for the agents to determine if they count.

It must be said all papers without a clear winner marked must be shown to election agents, even when it's obvious no one was voted for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Is transport policy for all parties fully fleshed out yet?

Not really. We'll have to wait for the parties' manifestos for that, and they are unlikely to be published for another 2-3 weeks. Even then, the manifestos are only likely to give broad principles. The only provisos to that is that Labour has released a very detailed document with their plans for railways, so we can surmise that is very well fleshed out, and we can kinda guess much of the Tories' plans since they are already in government, so presumably would largely carry on what they are already doing in the (absurdly unlikely) event that they won the election.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Don't encourage them ;) They've already managed to deduce that having the election on July 4th is somehow an act of disrespect towards Scotland. (link).

It's a perfectly valid complaint. As the article you've quoted states, it's a time when Scottish school kids are on holiday and many parents will have made plans to go away for a week or two. If Sunak had chosen, for example, the 22nd or 29th of August as the date for the election, you'd have similarly valid complaints from English parents and I would sympathise.

The workload of staff at local Electoral Registration Offices is going to increase as those voters who were planning to go away on holiday will now have to apply for either a postal or a proxy vote (myself included). This will also be the first election in Scotland in which voter ID is required, so there will be an additional burden on those who have to issue Voter Authority Certificates. There's also the fact that some people who work in EROs would expect to be taking holidays at that time, as well as those who will be working on election day itself.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good old anti-SNP rant, eh? :rolleyes:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
A prediction, overall turnout will be less than 60% with some people deciding not to bother voting because neither main option are that appealing (like voting between eating poo or drinking vomit)

Either that or there will be a lot more spoilt ballot papers with "None of the Above" written on them.

As much as I dislike them, I think Reform may attract some of the "stay at home crowd" to keep turnout relatively steady.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It's a perfectly valid complaint. As the article you've quoted states, it's a time when Scottish school kids are on holiday and many parents will have made plans to go away for a week or two. If Sunak had chosen, for example, the 22nd or 29th of August as the date for the election, you'd have similarly valid complaints from English parents and I would sympathise.

The workload of staff at local Electoral Registration Offices is going to increase as those voters who were planning to go away on holiday will now have to apply for either a postal or a proxy vote (myself included). This will also be the first election in Scotland in which voter ID is required, so there will be an additional burden on those who have to issue Voter Authority Certificates. There's also the fact that some people who work in EROs would expect to be taking holidays at that time, as well as those who will be working on election day itself.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good old anti-SNP rant, eh? :rolleyes:
I did wonder if Stephen Flynn was feart that SNP voters might not vote.

What made me wonder this was an exchange in Prime Minster's Questions on Wednesday where Stephen Flynn asked the Prime Minister about the rumours of a general election and whether he was "feart [scared]".

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I did wonder if Stephen Flynn was feart that SNP voters might not vote.

What made me wonder this was an exchange in Prime Minster's Questions on Wednesday where Stephen Flynn asked the Prime Minister about the rumours of a general election and whether he was "feart [scared]".
All party leaders should be feart that their voters might not vote. Okay, it might not make that much difference to the Tories, given their relatively limited support in Scotland at the Westminster level (purely down to First Past the Post - oh, the irony). A drop in turnout in Scotland isn't just going to affect the SNP; Labour is hoping to pick up votes on the back of the SNP's recent troubles, after all.

Maybe the Cons have decided that if we get a decent spell of "taps aff" weather combined with the fitba and the reassurance that the tory faithful will turn out regardless, they might just be in with a shout.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Northern Ireland has 18 seats. Sinn Fein MPs elected have in the past not taken up their seats.

Scotland has 57 MPs in total.
It will be after the recent boundary changes. Hitherto it was 59.

The SNP don’t stand a chance of winning anywhere near 57 seats.

The SNP had 56/59 seats at one point. That was a one-off situation and I'm not suggesting that this will happen again, but never say never.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member

Whilst I won't disagree with the prediction, as someone whose grandfather was involved in Normandy landings 80 years ago and told me how people died for democracy. I always vote on principle. His father (my great grandfather died fighting in WW1), and when read ages on headstones in those big war cemeteries it makes you think, and taking a can't be bothered to vote attitude is disrespectful

Although couple of times I have picked some obscure minor candidate just to waste a vote because don't like any of them.

Gloster

Established Member
I have just had an e-mail from a friend who mentioned that Sunak is trying to get out of paying the £1000 bet (to go to charity?) that he made with Piers Moron over whether anyone would actually go to Rwanda as one did go voluntarily. If true, it is an absolute death-wish on Sunak’s behalf.

sor

I have just had an e-mail from a friend who mentioned that Sunak is trying to get out of paying the £1000 bet (to go to charity?) that he made with Piers Moron over whether anyone would actually go to Rwanda as one did go voluntarily. If true, it is an absolute death-wish on Sunak’s behalf.
covered in t'news as well https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...000-rwanda-flights-bet-with-piers-morgan-off/ - Morgan has claimed victory and wants him to bung a grand to the Red Cross.

the gist seems to be "actually we sent one person off voluntarily" which means he doesn't need to pay out. The guy could pay it with a fraction of what he "earns" per hour from investments and interest, but he's determined to take the route that offers the worst PR (just as he's done repeatedly as chancellor and PM). It's quite a feat to make yourself look worse than Piers Morgan, but he's doing a good job of it

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
The guy could pay it with a fraction of what he "earns" per hour from investments and interest, but he's determined to take the route that offers the worst PR (just as he's done repeatedly as chancellor and PM). It's quite a feat to make yourself look worse than Piers Morgan, but he's doing a good job of it
Really the whole bet was a tragically bad idea, only Sunak could possibly make it worse than it was. He really should have just paid up as quietly as possible and hoped that it got a brief mention on page seven. By trying to get out of paying he pretty much guarantees that it will make at least the page three.

Gloster

Established Member
Really the whole bet was a tragically bad idea, only Sunak could possibly make it worse than it was. He really should have just paid up as quietly as possible and hoped that it got a brief mention on page seven. By trying to get out of paying he pretty much guarantees that it will make at least the page three.

That will make him the biggest t*t on page three.

jfollows

Established Member
Rishi's desperation is exemplified by asking for six debates with Starmer, one each week.

He reckons he has little to lose and much to gain by doing so.

Starmer wants none of this, and seems to be agreeing a single debate.

Thank goodness, these things bore the hell out of me; I know I don't have to watch them (I won't) but the media gets in a frenzy each time, so only once will be a relief.

EDIT per https://www.theguardian.com/politic...uk-general-election-2024-labour-conservatives
On Newsnight last night Nicholas Watt said Labour will agree to two Sunak/Starmer debates, one on the BBC and the other on ITV.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Rishi's desperation is exemplified by asking for six debates with Starmer, one each week.

He reckons he has little to lose and much to gain by doing so.

Starmer wants none of this, and seems to be agreeing a single debate.

Thank goodness, these things bore the hell out of me; I know I don't have to watch them (I won't) but the media gets in a frenzy each time, so only once will be a relief.
Clever tactics though, there's already a story in today's Daily Mail about Starmer running scared from Rishi by refusing to take part in weekly debates. Presumably they've missing PMQs that's been ongoing for a number of years past...

sor

Clever tactics though, there's already a story in today's Daily Mail about Starmer running scared from Rishi by refusing to take part in weekly debates. Presumably they've missing PMQs that's been ongoing for a number of years past...
Starmer himself said about as much on LBC this morning (and said he'd be happy to do as many debates as the Tories desire). I'm not sure why they're so desperate to debate a man whose pre-politics career was quite literally being paid to persuade people to vote a certain way

najaB

Veteran Member
Starmer himself said about as much on LBC this morning (and said he'd be happy to do as many debates as the Tories desire). I'm not sure why they're so desperate to debate a man whose pre-politics career was quite literally being paid to persuade people to vote a certain way
Starmer would likely run rings around Sunak in a debate if their relative performances at PMQs is anything to go by.

Howardh

Established Member
I'm expecting a phone call from my prospective Labour MP (I'm in a marginal), prior to the 2015 election the then candidate came round for tea and cake and a deep discussion about "care".

jfollows

Established Member
I also slightly despaired at the TV (Sky, I think) reporting of Rishi having a "private jet" yesterday, paid for by someone else apparently, whilst showing pictures of a huge propellor attached to its wing. Presumably "private jet" is a more pejorative term than the proper one would have been.

dosxuk

Established Member
Presumably "private jet" is a more pejorative term than the proper one would have been.

I don't think "private turboprop" is any less pejorative. Just less familiar and more confusing to the average person.

Enthusiast

Established Member
Was it me, or was much of the mainstream TV coverage last night, essentially political correspondents interviewing each other, interspersed (padded out) with extensive pre-recorded clipshow-style footage?
Whatever it was, it was overkill. The 6pm BBC "News" on Wednesday was a "specially extended" edition, double its usual duration. Why it needed to be extended is anybody's guess. The only genuine news it reported consisted of two lines:

- The Prime Minister has decided that a General Election will be held on 4th July.
- To accommodate this Parliament will be dissolved on 30th May.

And er...that's it. Everybody knew there would be a GE soon and it was a reasonable bet that it would be this year rather than early next. Only the date needed to be filled in. The rest of the "news" was unadulterated drivel, mainly comprising people standing outside in the rain talking to other people standing outside in the rain.

The present incumbent of No.10 must be absolutely bonkers as well as inept. He has a perfectly good office into which he could have invited the BBC crew and a few reporters to make his announcement. Better still, he could have made it to the House of Commons at an appropriate juncture. Instead he chose to stand out in the street before a lectern to preach to the masses in the pouring rain. And this is a man who is asking the electorate to allow him to run the country for the next five years.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Jeremy Corbyn confirmed he will stand against Labour in Islington North. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c288xxvrdz7o

BBC said:
He will contest the Islington North seat, which he has held since 1983, as an independent candidate in the general election on 4 July.

Speaking to his local Islington Tribune, external newspaper, he said he would be "a voice for equality, democracy and peace".

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Another Tory MP standing down - John Redwood (former minister in the Thatcher/Major Governments and at the time a very prominent Thatcherite) has announced he's not going to stand again in Wokingham. https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/

JohnRedwood said:
I have decided not to put my name forward in the forthcoming election. I have other things I wish to do.

It has been a privilege to represent Wokingham in nine Parliaments. I have drawn many of my campaigns from the views I have heard on doorsteps and read in my email box. We have achieved good things together for our local community and the wider nation.

Wokingham looks like a very likely LibDem gain, which I'm guessing may be a factor in the decision, although Redwood has been an MP for 37 years and is of retirement age anyway.

nw1

Established Member
Another Tory MP standing down - John Redwood (former minister in the Thatcher/Major Governments and at the time a very prominent Thatcherite) has announced he's not going to stand again in Wokingham. https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/

Wokingham looks like a very likely LibDem gain, which I'm guessing may be a factor in the decision, although Redwood has been an MP for 37 years and is of retirement age anyway.

Could be, much as I disagree with Redwood and his policies he could have been a good MP on local issues, so without the incumbent factor the Tories may do less well. Also the swing towards Lib Dem was very significant in 2019 so that it's no longer a safe seat.

On the other hand, some of the perhaps less-Tory areas are transferring to the new seat of Earley and Woodley, towards Reading.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Could be, much as I disagree with Redwood and his policies he could have been a good MP on local issues, so without the incumbent factor the Tories may do less well. Also the swing towards Lib Dem was very significant in 2019 so that it's no longer a safe seat.

Yes, looking at Wikipedia I am a bit puzzled about what happened in Wokingham in 2019. The LibDems have historically come 2nd in the seat with Labour 3rd for a very long time (with Labour briefly overtaking them in 2015 and 2017), but it's always been very safe for the Tories. But it seems that in 2019 the LibDems achieved a massive swing there, getting a higher % vote than they've ever done since at least the 1980s, so that all of a sudden the seat is looking very marginal. The only thing I can think of is, strong Remain area and that had a big impact?

nw1

Established Member
Yes, looking at Wikipedia I am a bit puzzled about what happened in Wokingham in 2019. The LibDems have historically come 2nd in the seat with Labour 3rd for a very long time (with Labour briefly overtaking them in 2015 and 2017), but it's always been very safe for the Tories. But it seems that in 2019 the LibDems achieved a massive swing there, getting a higher % vote than they've ever done since at least the 1980s, so that all of a sudden the seat is looking very marginal. The only thing I can think of is, strong Remain area and that had a big impact?

I believe Wokingham is strong Remain, yes. This could have doubly counted against the Tories, firstly in itself, and secondly because Redwood is well known as a strong Brexiter. But now, I suspect an unknown candidate will do less well than Redwood would have done, on balance.

Plus the Lib Dem candidate was Philip Lee, ex-Tory and newly Lib Dem from nearby Bracknell. As an ex-Tory he could well have appealed to socially-liberal and economically-conservative constituents.

I suspect most Lib Dem gains will be from this part of the world, plus places such as Hazel Grove with a similar profile which they have formerly held.