• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK place names - your favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
The UK has lots of great place names. What about Pubbledubs, Phones and Thornton-le-Beans? Then there's Wetwang, Westenhanger and Friockheim...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johnuk123

Established Member
All places near me in Fenalnd - Grunty Fen, Three Holes, Four Gotes, Cock up bridge, Pidley, Six Mile Bottom, Prickwillow.

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
Plwmp, in Ceredigion, brings a smile to my face.

Draycott-in-the-clay, near Derby, is one that intrigues me: how or why is it “in the clay”?

My wife's favourite is Openwoodgate, also in Derbyshire.

Antman

Established Member
Not very funny but Green Street Green has a pleasing rhythm.

Kingston Bagpuize
always makes me think of Bagpuss.

And just down the road from Green Street Green (the one near Orpington) is the delightfully named Pratts Bottom!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lived in Skinners Bottom in Cornwall for a bit in the 70s, I quite like Bunny which is near Nottingham, I've seen people taking photos of the sign there. Also Puddletown, Piddlehinton, Piddletrenthide and Tolpuddle in Dorset, they all sound like something from Black Adder. Is there a Nether Wallop somewhere too?

Cambus731

I do regret not keeping the photo I took of a Cambus Leyland National mk2 with Six Mile Bottom on its blind
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone else think that Taplow, Iver and Twyford all sound like they should be in Wales?

Flying_Turtle

Crossmyloof in Glasgow

But then you have the stations of Pollokshaws West ; Pollokshields East; Pollokshields West and Pollokshaws East

Dazzled? Wait until you see the cathcart circle timetable (which us alao a very funny name)

pemma

Veteran Member
Broadbottom

Penistone

Netherthong

I find some road names amusing too. There's one in Leeds where I guess they couldn't decide whether to call it something Street or something Lane, so they called it Street Lane. I also remember being on a bus in Yorkshire where a straight talking Yorkshire man got with someone else and said to the driver "Two to Cock Lane please."

The best one is an Austria one though and would be filtered out if I typed it. That place doesn't have a brewery but a brewery in another Austrian town tries to pass off a light ale as if it is from the place in question. The word for light ale in German is very similar to the English word for where Christians believe your soul goes if you're bad and don't go to heaven. The place name begins with F. No prizes for guessing the name of the beer!

Whistler40145

Established Member
Five Ways in Birmingham, Three Bridges, Sevenoaks which no longer has Seven Oak trees, Scronkey near Pilling, Sawley (pronounced Sally), Wizwell (pronounced Wizzle).

trevwilliams

When I lived in Sussex there was a valley behind my village called Cowbottom Hovel, which led to Cowbottom

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

JoeGJ1984

Braadfield Combust in Suffolk and Lytchett Mtravers in Dorset (haven't been to the latter; just seen the name on a map). I also like the names Danzey and Wootton Wawen on the line from Birmingham to Stratford-upon-Avon. Also station names Mexborough and Stallingborough.

Whistler40145

Established Member
There's some wonderful names in the Lake District, Clappersgate, Ulpha, Seattle, Stair, Sadgill, Sweetholme.

Groningen

Established Member
How many town starting with a Z? I count 4.

Zeal Monachorum
Zeele
Zelah
Zennor

This from The Motorist's Atlas of Britain from 1987. From 48 pages of index surely many (funny names) can be found. Strange that Northern Ireland is not listed, but Wales and Scotland are. Maybe because of the troubles there.

backontrack

Established Member
How many town starting with a Z? I count 4.

Zeal Monachorum
Zeele
Zelah
Zennor

This from The Motorist's Atlas of Britain from 1987. From 48 pages of index surely many (funny names) can be found. Strange that Northern Ireland is not listed, but Wales and Scotland are. Maybe because of the troubles there.

Zeals? Zouch?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's some wonderful names in the Lake District, Clappersgate, Ulpha, Seattle, Stair, Sadgill, Sweetholme.

Indeed! Barngates, Portinscale, Gatesgarth, Patterdale, Threlkeld, Hesket Newmarket, Troutbeck, Lamplugh, Dale Bottom, Naddle, Rosthwaite, Wythburn, Stanah, Thirlspot - I could go on...

EM2

Established Member
Crossmyloof
Ulleskelf
Adversane
Aspatria

The earlier mention of Green Street Green reminds me that in the nearby village of Darenth, the road that connects the two is Green Street Green Road, which must get very confusing when trying to give your address to call centres and so on!

backontrack

Established Member
Torpenhow
Garve
Crask
Blennerhasset
Boddam
Banchory-Devenick
Cruden Bay
Gourdon
Fordoun
Inverbervie