• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unbelievable stupidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwenllian2001

Plaid Cymmru brought it about in an attempt to relight the long extinguished fires of significant welsh nationalism.

Only one 'M' in Cymru please. None of the Welsh Language Acts are attributable to Plaid Cymru since theyhave never been in power in Westminster or Cardiff.

As for the policeman's uniform, I think that the labelling isthe oppositeway about on the chest. Next time I see one, I'll have a look
although it is more likely that I'll see one in Birmingham than around here. Not that I'm criticising that fine body of men and women you understand.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
I wonder whether he, and other BTP Wales & West officers, have two uniforms?

English W&W BTP PC/SPC/PCSO certainly only get the English language uniform. I'm 99% sure the Welsh based ones only get Welsh language tac vests.

People who think the Welsh PC/SPC uniform is silly should check out what the PCSOs have to wear!

IMG00172-20100525-1543.jpg

Barely legible from a short distance. Not my image, got it from Policespecials.com via Google Images.

greatkingrat

Established Member
If Bridgend station is translated to Pen-y-Bont in Welsh, why isn't Pen-y-Bont station translated to Bridgend in English?

Eagle

Established Member
Because Pen-y-bont in Powys is only known as Pen-y-bont, in both English and Welsh. That's just the way it seems to have panned out.

Actually the full Welsh name for Bridgend in Glamorgan is Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr, literally Bridgend on Ogmore.

transmanche

Established Member
Actually the full Welsh name for Bridgend in Glamorgan is Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr, literally Bridgend on Ogmore.
I think literally it's 'top of the bridge' or 'head of the bridge', but I guess it's used in a similar sense that in English you might say the 'top (end) of the of village'.

sarahj

Established Member
Back to the OT, reminds of a few weeks ago, London rd station. Some kid ran across the tracks to try and catch my train, when I saw him I pretended to take his picture, he tried to hide. Anoying as well, as i had to phone three bridges box to warn other trains in case he had friends doing the same, and fill in a report.

But hey, when your young, whats a rail line and 750volts gonna do to you.

SJ

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Back to the OT, reminds of a few weeks ago, London rd station. Some kid ran across the tracks to try and catch my train, when I saw him I pretended to take his picture, he tried to hide. Anoying as well, as i had to phone three bridges box to warn other trains in case he had friends doing the same, and fill in a report.

But hey, when your young, whats a rail line and 750volts gonna do to you.

SJ

I remember a comment being made to a btp inspector that the way to sort out trespass and vandalism in the valleys was to electrify!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
and Tenby? The Welsh version is a heck of a mouthful!

Try Newtown (Powys)

12CSVT

Established Member
I doubt it from their point of view just gives them more choice of what to steal.

The point I was making was that if they try to cut through live 25KV they might end up incinerating themselves.

bnm

Established Member
It appears to have been the folly of youth.

From the BBC:

Teen questioned after Crosskeys train leap

A 14-year-old boy from Newport has been interviewed by police after railway station CCTV captured images of someone running in front of a departing train.

The footage showed a person jumping off a platform and darting in front of the train at Crosskeys station, Caerphilly county, in a futile bid to get on it.

British Transport Police (BTP) had released the footage in an appeal for help in identifying the person.

It said the teenager had been interviewed and reported for trespass.

A BTP spokesman said: "Following a media appeal, a 14-year-old boy from Newport has been interviewed and reported for an offence of trespass in relation to an incident at Crosskeys rail station on Wednesday, 15 May."

455driver

Veteran Member
the sun reported the line as live which can't be true

It was "live" as in trains running, that is the definition of a live running line which is probably lost on a journalist anyway. ;)

Starmill

Veteran Member
That sounds fair enough to me? Exam papers and carriageways can be 'live' too, though I assume not in the literal sense.

D1009

Established Member
In the context of this thread, are people from South Wales more stupid than those in other parts of the UK? I remember the TV series Rail Cops a few years ago which showed some appalling behaviour by trespassers on the Valley lines, and there was also footage of a BTP officer without any PPE getting down on the track at Cardiff Central to rescue an injured seagull. This did not go down well with railway management.

bnm

Established Member
In the context of this thread, are people from South Wales more stupid than those in other parts of the UK? I remember the TV series Rail Cops a few years ago which showed some appalling behaviour by trespassers on the Valley lines, and there was also footage of a BTP officer without any PPE getting down on the track at Cardiff Central to rescue an injured seagull. This did not go down well with railway management.

Nope. There are muppets countrywide. In and out of uniform.

Flamingo

Established Member

You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment...

ReverendFozz

Stuff like this really scares the **** out of me, it is stupidity of the highest degree, we all know full well what happens when someone goes under a train, I hope the idiot gets harshly punished and gets an asbo banning order keeping him away from anything that resembles a railway line or train station...

He really is the end of a bell

Marxista Fozz

fordylad

Unfortunately this kind of incident happens all the time , I have witnessed a fair few railway incursions especially around stations. And again in my experience this is a problem mostly committed by the "older" generation , There is a general lack of respect and danger of the railway environment

Status
Not open for further replies.