• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unique railway stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
With what little I know of Stafford (London), I can count 4-5 different types of traction power:
  • 25KV OHLE for HS1,
  • Another voltage OHLE (That I think someone mentioned up-thread, but I can't say for sure),
  • LuL 3rd and 4th rail electrification,
  • DLR inverse third rail,
    I'd call them Hamburg Rails as they were invented by and for use on the Hamburg U-Bahn. That said, I think (Referring to stickers on the pickup covers platform side at certain DLR stations) they're officially called "Torsion" or "Tension" rails, aren't they? :?:
  • Plus possible 750vDC TRE for NR traffic.

Is that really grade seperated though? All of the platforms are on the same level, and the only grade seperation I can think of in the Raynes Park area is where the up line from Motspur passes underneath the SWML! :?:

I think you mean Stratford and the Stratford Intl is a different station to the regional one :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Sunderland, the only station in the country where heavy rail and light rail services share platforms.

Navigation Road station (near Altrincham) has two seperate single lines running through it in parallel.

One is the heavy rail rail Mid-Cheshire line from Manchester to Chester.

The other is the Manchester Metrolink line from Manchester to Altrincham.

There are two platform faces at this station...one is used by one/ the other used by the other.

Oops, I appear to have made the mistake of sharing the station

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Navigation Road station (near Altrincham) has two seperate single lines running through it in parallel.

One is the heavy rail rail Mid-Cheshire line from Manchester to Chester.

The other is the Manchester Metrolink line from Manchester to Altrincham.

Almost identical to Birkbeck in South London then - 2 platforms, one Southern for the half-hourly Beckenham Jn-London services via Crystal Palace and one for the Croydon Tramlink services to Croydon-Beckenham Jn.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
You might want to look up where Whitby came from :D (Witebi, white settlement). Think there's Selby too. They changed the spelling of Shipton to Skipton so they could pronounce it but that might not count..

There are many VIKING place names ending in ..BY, especially on the East coast of Britain.

But there are also some on the WEST coast:-

FLIMBY.......Has a station (on Carlisle to Barrow line)
FORMBY......Has a station (Merseyrail)
CROSBY......Station there is Blundellsands and Crosby(Merseyrail)

These are three with working passenger railway stations.

Julia

Going back to the start about stations below sea level - Shippea Hill was originally at sea level and if it's not below by now it will be soon, the Fens having been gradually sinking for years as deep water is abstracted for agriculture. (The top of the hill is only about 5' above sea level and was an island in the past...)

kennethw

Smallbrook Junction is indeed unique. It has no public access at all. Just there to facilitate changes between Island Line and Isle of Wight Steam Railway.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ryde Pier Head. Furthest from land!

Smallbrook station only open when steam railway running

d9009alycidon

hi all - new poster so be gentle:D

How about Springburn, only station where you can arrive from a major terminus high level platforms change trains and leave going in the same direction to the same station's low level platforms. (Queen Street)

Jim

Eagle

Established Member
Ashford International can be a bit like that except you don't continue in the same direction (the terminus in this case being St Pancras; the high-level highspeed platforms and the low-level Thameslink ones).

Also a bit like this is you can leave Tamworth HL on a XC train to Edinburgh, arrive from the east, then take the Caley sleeper heading west which passes through* Tamworth LL (nonstop though :( ).

*usually, the route is flexible

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

How about Springburn, only station where you can arrive from a major terminus high level platforms change trains and leave going in the same direction to the same station's low level platforms. (Queen Street)

Jim

Anniesland - to Queen St HL via Maryhill, and to Queen St LL (and Central LL?) via Partick ;)

12CSVT

Established Member

Jim

Anniesland - to Queen St HL via Maryhill, and to Queen St LL (and Central LL?) via Partick ;)

Also possible at Bellshill (and you catch the onward train from the same platform)

Glasgow Central High Level - Bellshill on an Edinburgh via Shotts service,
change to a Motherwell bound service which then continues via Hamilton back to Central Low Level

Eagle

Established Member
Broadening the question a bit: what other stations can you get to two levels of another station from?

Retford from Doncaster, Shotton from Wrexham General, Smethwick GB from Leamington or Banbury, Stratford from West Hampstead (although Stratford LL is no longer National Rail so it's cheating)...

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There are many VIKING place names ending in ..BY, especially on the East coast of Britain.

But there are also some on the WEST coast:-

FLIMBY.......Has a station (on Carlisle to Barrow line)
FORMBY......Has a station (Merseyrail)
CROSBY......Station there is Blundellsands and Crosby(Merseyrail)

These are three with working passenger railway stations.

How about LockerBIE bie in Scottish place names is synonomous with by in English place names.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Stourbridge Town also has the honour of having being the only WMPTE station not having a direct service To Birmingham.

Also it's line is the only line cleared for class 139 passenger ops

d9009alycidon

Stourbridge Town also has the honour of having being the only WMPTE station not having a direct service To Birmingham.

Also it's line is the only line cleared for class 139 passenger ops

Similarly Coatbridge Central is the only SPTE station not having a regular serive to Central Glasgow

Jim

Bittern

Established Member
Technically, Glasgow Queen Street doesn't have a regular service into central Glasgow either. ;)

Last edited:

mmac

Not sure if this has been said before, but Lockerbie is managed by First ScotRail but none of their services call there, it's only called at by VT and TPE

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Not sure if this has been said before, but Lockerbie is managed by First ScotRail but none of their services call there, it's only called at by VT and TPE

It's also the only station in Scotland not to be served by ScotRail (Dunbar was similar, but it gained 3tpd in May 10, rising to 4tpd last December) ;)

Bittern

Established Member
There's a giant list of stations in Scotland not served by ScotRail. Some are heritage lines, some is the Glasgow Subway, Bus stations, Petrol stations and Police stations. ;)

kennethw

Smallbrook Junction is indeed unique. It has no public access at all. Just there to facilitate changes between Island Line and Isle of Wight Steam Railway.

a similar arrangement existed from 1964 to 1966 at Boscarne Exchange platform outside Bodmin and existed soley for passengers to transfer to a shuttle service for Bodmin North - no road access either

BRX

Established Member
There's a giant list of stations in Scotland not served by ScotRail. Some are heritage lines, some is the Glasgow Subway, Bus stations, Petrol stations and Police stations. ;)

And English infestation.

Track Basher

It's also the only station in Scotland not to be served by ScotRail (Dunbar was similar, but it gained 3tpd in May 10, rising to 4tpd last December) ;)

It is actually better than that. It is the only station on National Rail that has never had a timetabled service of the TOC that operates the station since privatisation in 1995. It could have been used during enginnering works but I an not aware a Scotrail train ever being scheduled to call.

341o2

Established Member
Berney Arms in Norfolk, because it's only accessible by train. But there must be others?

Berney arms is accessible on foot - after a 2 mile walk, or by boat. I used to be member kennethw but for some reason cannot access this account despite resetting my password twice

The Sleeper

I dispute Ryde Pier Head being furthest from land -I know of a station where TfL tube trains run further from land than the IOW:) now there's a guess the station:lol::lol::lol:
Berney arms is accessible on foot - after a 2 mile walk, or by boat. I used to be member kennethw but for some reason cannot access this account despite resetting my password twice

Berney Arms is the only non accessible station with no roads but Bike Racks :o:o

Status
Not open for further replies.