• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Upgraded Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Very, very few, I doubt double figures have reached pre-Beeching levels since. Maybe Stratford Domestic?

Ibex

Hmm I think St Pancras would be the obvious suggestion here!

12CSVT

Established Member
One station which has gone 'up' then 'down', and about to go 'up' again in recent years is West Ham.

Gained two platforms on the C2C line
Gained two platforms on the Jubilee Line
Lost two platforms on North London Line
About to gain two DLR platforms

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ashford international is somewhat flashier and has more platforms than the Ashford Kent of my youth.

Gatwick Airport started off as a racecourse station before gaining an extra platform and an airport in the 1950's.

Leeds City gained prestiege and lots of express trains when Central closed in the 1960's but didn't get expanded until 2001.

Not sure if it got physically bigger, but Manchester Oxford Road was rebuilt in the 1960's and I think replaced Central as a terminus.

That's all that spring to mind for the moment.

martinsh

Established Member
Rugby now has a lot more through platforms than it used to.

New platforms also at Cardiff Central (0), Stockport (0) and Wolverhampton (4).

Could also say that Liverpool South Parkway is bigger than Allerton

SteamontheMet

All former East London Line Stations, closed, reopened and revapmed.

A few stations on the North London Line are currently being upgraded, for example Canonbury and Highbury & Islington.

The Chiltern Line is also getting upgrades, there quadropling the track between West & South Ruislip and adding new tracks and cross overs at Gerrards Cross

CarterUSM

Established Member
Glasgow Central gained a platform last year, i suppose many of the Waverley- Bathgate stations have also, as have Dunlop and Stewarton not to mention Gretna Green a few years ago too.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Limehouse - gained a new lease of life (as well as a new name) when the DLR opened. Went from being a barely used shack (Stepney East) to a major interchange.

Continuing in the London Docklands theme, Canning Town - from a desolate island platform + 1970s box ticket office with (depending how far back we go) infrequent trains/two an hour each way to a major, impressive, new station with (soon) six platforms, with frequent trains from all of them.

Marylebone - from a severely underused terminus under threat of closure in the 80s, to somewhere with longer-distance services (WSMR RIP, notwithstanding) and a few extra platforms.

Birmingham Moor Street, I guess - if the glorious old terminus platforms are to be brought back into use (or already have done so, I'm not quite sure)

Stratford regional definitely. The sense of neglect that used to hang over the place (not to mention the grim bus station outside, now demolished and replaced by something far more pleasant) is long gone. Except maybe on platform 10a...but that too will change.
(to summarise: two new DLR platforms, 3 new Jubilee platforms, 1 new additional Central platform, 2 new platforms for London Overground, platforms and services for Tottenham Hale line restored, new ticket hall area constructed - considerably smarter than what it replaced, two new subways opened... and so on. )

Highbury and Islington & Canonbury now have a couple of extra platforms (in the case of H&I one brand new, plus one former limited use platform widened and extended. Everything severely smartened up)

imagination

Reading gained 2 platforms when the old station for Waterloo was closed, and is now in the process of gaining several more.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Lewisham, Greenwich and recently Woolwich Arsenal all gained two platforms when the DLR arrived.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Lewisham, Greenwich and recently Woolwich Arsenal all gained two platforms when the DLR arrived.
Not sure about Greenwich, but I'm sure that Lewisham DLR and NR are seperate stations (ie, you have to leave one to access the other) - either that, or I went the silly way round when I was there! I know Woolwich Arsenal is the same station as I was only there a month or so back...

I did think of Stratford, but wasn't sure what it has been like in the recent history of the station.

Death

Established Member
Gatwick Airport started off as a racecourse station before gaining an extra platform and an airport in the 1950's.
Personally, I think the "airport" mod that Gatwick got could well class as the best expansion of the lot! Forget a few extra platforms here and there...Gatwick got two terminal buildings, at least two runways, immense car-parking facilities, and excellent road connections into the bargain. It's even got a little train system to carry passengers over to the big trains! :lol:8-)
(Of course, when Gatwick Racecourse became Gatwick Airport, those facilities wern't all thrown in at once...It took a few years and a slight move of the station itself for those to happen! Nonetheless, it could all be considered part of an "ongoing" upgrade... ;))
See Here for more history on Gatwick...It's really rather interesting! :)

Marylebone - from a severely underused terminus under threat of closure in the 80s, to somewhere with longer-distance services (WSMR RIP, notwithstanding) and a few extra platforms.
Ye wouldn't think it to look at the station today given it's refit and new International terminal status...But believe it or not, St. Pancras was in a very similar state to Marylebone around the same period! Thank the Gods Beeching appeared to miss those two! :shock::)

Anyhow; Blackwater got a couple of new bus shelters on the platforms recently*...Does that count? :lol:
* - "Recently" as used in line with Network Rail standards! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.