• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using on Oyster on train and then tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

SF-02

On oyster fare finder a trip on a SE train from zone 4 to Euston would cost £3.70 apparently. However doing that journey requires touching out at London Bridge and then touching in to the tube. Would it charge as 2 journeys (£2.70 train and £2 tube) or does the system realise it's one trip and round it down to £3.70?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
On oyster fare finder a trip on a SE train from zone 4 to Euston would cost £3.70 apparently. However doing that journey requires touching out at London Bridge and then touching in to the tube. Would it charge as 2 journeys (£2.70 train and £2 tube) or does the system realise it's one trip and round it down to £3.70?

Cheers

It will be combined into one journey automatically unless you spend an excessively long period (greater than 20 mins) transferring between the gatelines at London Bridge.

See MikeWh's site here for a detailed explanation:

http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/out-of-station-interchange-osi/

Urban Gateline

Established Member
If you make the station interchange at London Bridge within the maximum OSI time then it should form one fare for the whole lot, you will normally find this out when you touch out at your final destination.

Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you make the second journey within the maximum journey time then it should form one fare for the whole lot, you will normally find this out when you touch out at your final destination.

Not quite. The earlier response is correct. If you exceed the OSI time at London Bridge it will be two journeys regardless of whether they were both completed within the maximum journey time for the overall journey.

tannedfrog

Sometimes it works the other way, that the cost of A to C is more than A to B + B to C

Is this seen as a flaw in the system that TFL will correct, or is it just one of those things, like with splitting paper rail tickets?

Example: Elstree to West Hampstead TL, West Hampstead (tube) to Baker Street.
Individually (afternoon peak), £3.60 + £2.00 = £5.60,
As a whole journey, £6.90

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would argue it is not a flaw in the system as such, but the ludicrous fare policy where we have TfL set rates, non-TfL rates, and rates which combine the two. This is a particular issue when the combination rates include Zone 1, and where the interchange between 'modes' is outside of Zone 1, then it can be cheaper to "split". The solution appears to be to hold 2 x Oyster cards.

I have one main Oyster card with auto top-up and I have a spare one that I don't normally bring with me (but could if I knew I was doing a journey like this and was not going to be capped).

As for Elstree & Borehamwood to Baker St, the through fare contra peak is absolutely astonishingly ludicrous and if you did not live near the station anyway it would make more sense to take a bus to a tube station (eg Edgware) from where you'd only pay £2.90 (£4 less!). I am not going to stay at the Travelodge at Borehamwood again but if I did, given I'd need a bus anyway I would not travel on Thameslink unless I was already capped.

There is a map that does not appear to be publicly available (but I reckon could easily be obtained via FOI to TfL) that has all routes shown in just 3 different colours showing the rates that apply, so you can avoid being ripped off for certain journeys. Some routes (eg all LO routes plus several more) have dual pricing so do not attract a premium when used with TfL rate OR non-TfL rate routes.

It's a poorly executed pricing model for what is an otherwise pretty good system.

island

Veteran Member
I also have a bee in my bonnet about being charged the mixed mode fare when making two journeys, one entirely covered by a Travelcard and the other not, because an OSI connects the two. (For example with a Z1-3 Travelcard going from Hammersmith to Erith changing at Embankment to Charing Cross.) I think the 2012 fares make that particular example the same either way, but others are more expensive.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Sometimes it works the other way, that the cost of A to C is more than A to B + B to C

Is this seen as a flaw in the system that TFL will correct, or is it just one of those things, like with splitting paper rail tickets?

That's an interesting one. It's actually cheaper to split at any time. There are two forces at work here, the premium applied to mixed NR+TfL journeys which involve zone 1 (even if the switch is not in zone 1), and the afternoon peak concession on TfL fares where the journey starts outside zone 1 and ends in zone 1. The former is the result of the TOCs that hadn't joined Oyster before 2010 refusing to give up the "tube add-on".

As to whether TfL might fix it, I'm not sure. There are some special fares where interchange between NR and TfL takes place at either Vauxhall or Elephant and Castle which over-ride the OSI and charge the two separate fares (although still counted as one journey). These two are special because they are dual-zoned so the NR journey ends in zone 2 and the TfL journey starts in zone 1. It's possible that the West Hampstead problem has been created since 2010 as a result of differing fares policies between the TOCs and TfL. I will raise the issue with the helpdesk and see whether something can be done. They have made changes to fares in the past, most notably when I pointed out that you could travel from SE London to places like Alexandra Palace (NR) without leaving NR services using the ELL. They had to discuss the issue with the TOCs but it was chaged earlier this month.
The solution appears to be to hold 2 x Oyster cards.

I have one main Oyster card with auto top-up and I have a spare one that I don't normally bring with me (but could if I knew I was doing a journey like this and was not going to be capped).
There might be other ways round it. If you're not in a hurry you could take more than 20 minutes walking between the West Hampstead stations. Alternatively, it might be possible to utilise a same station exit to break the OSI. This one I'm going to have to try out in the near future.
As for Elstree & Borehamwood to Baker St, the through fare contra peak is absolutely astonishingly ludicrous and if you did not live near the station anyway it would make more sense to take a bus to a tube station (eg Edgware) from where you'd only pay £2.90 (£4 less!).
It would be £2.65 less if the bus was extra. This is almost all down to the TfL afternoon peak into zone 1 concession.
There is a map that does not appear to be publicly available (but I reckon could easily be obtained via FOI to TfL) that has all routes shown in just 3 different colours showing the rates that apply, so you can avoid being ripped off for certain journeys. Some routes (eg all LO routes plus several more) have dual pricing so do not attract a premium when used with TfL rate OR non-TfL rate routes.
It is linked on the National Rail tab of the fares guide pages on the TfL site. Green lines are charged at TfL rates when used exclusively or combined with other TfL rail (tube and dlr) or NR rates when combined only with the red lines. Combining any red lines with tube or dlr on a journey including zone 1 attracts the premium.
It's a poorly executed pricing model for what is an otherwise pretty good system.
Agreed. But if C2C, FGW and Chiltern were happy to forego the premium I think pressure should be applied to the others to get it scrapped.

34D

Established Member

Mike - are you aware of anyone appealing this journey combination to the helpdesk and saying they've been overcharged?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Mike - are you aware of anyone appealing this journey combination to the helpdesk and saying they've been overcharged?

Not yet. I'm going to see how widespread the problem is before contacting the helpdesk. It may be that other zone 2/3 interchanges are also an issue. I haven't had a chance to investigate further today. My gut feeling is that the general issue has only become a problem this year, or maybe last, but not when the London-wide rollout happened in 2010. The extra problem in the afternoon peak will have started last year when the into zone 1 off-peak concession started.

tannedfrog

Does touching on a top-up machine at a TFL station break the OSI? I know from experience that doing that will seal an incomplete journey as incomplete.

Also, does starting a journey which may end in a negative balance constitute fare evasion?

Thanks

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does touching on a top-up machine at a TFL station break the OSI?
I would be surprised if it did. Touching in on a bus does that (which may be useful to people who are capped, or Travelcard holders going beyond their zones on a journey that would otherwise attract the premium)
I know from experience that doing that will seal an incomplete journey as incomplete.
That does not sound at all right to me.
Also, does starting a journey which may end in a negative balance constitute fare evasion?
No, but the question does not make sense. When you touch in, the maximum fare is taken off your card. When you touch out, the correct amount is refunded to your card, leaving you with the fare paid.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, but the question does not make sense. When you touch in, the maximum fare is taken off your card. When you touch out, the correct amount is refunded to your card, leaving you with the fare paid.

Not quite true - the entry reader only checks that there is enough credit to make a same-zone journey - if the user then travels further afield, they still hold a valid ticket but their card will go into negative balance on touching out (as the 'refund' still wont take them above £0.00) :)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Not quite true - the entry reader only checks that there is enough credit to make a same-zone journey - if the user then travels further afield, they still hold a valid ticket but their card will go into negative balance on touching out (as the 'refund' still wont take them above £0.00) :)

No, yorkie was right. The maximum fare is deducted which is how you get left with that charge if you fail to touch out. You do need at least the minimum fare on the card if using PAYG or the gates won't open. The minimum fare is usually a same zone journey, but not always.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
No, yorkie was right. The maximum fare is deducted which is how you get left with that charge if you fail to touch out. You do need at least the minimum fare on the card if using PAYG or the gates won't open. The minimum fare is usually a same zone journey, but not always.

You are correct in what you said, but I think Mike 395 was making a different point!

The fact that you can end up with a negative balance if you only have the entry level credit on your card and then either touch out somewhere in a further away zone or fail to touch out. The same of course applies to period travelcards on Oyster when travelling outside the zones covered, it will bring a negative balance on touching out if the passenger doesn't have sufficient PAYG credit to cover the excess fare.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm sure that post said something different when I first read it? Anyway, if you try to touch out on a gateline where your resulting adjusted balance is negative then the gates won't open. This is why when you enter you are shown your balance before the maximum fare is deducted so you can check if you have enough. If you haven't you can exit within 2 minutes to topup and then enter again within 45 minutes without any extra charge.

tannedfrog

Yes but if it is more convenient to proceed and top up later, is that ok from an RPI's point of view?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes but if it is more convenient to proceed and top up later, is that ok from an RPI's point of view?

Strictly speaking, no. In practice you may be able to top up at your destination station and the card won't be valid for any travel until you do. You won't get grief from an on-train RPI because they won't be able to calculate what you might need, but if they are manning the gateline you could be in trouble.

londonbridge

Established Member
Anyway, if you try to touch out on a gateline where your resulting adjusted balance is negative then the gates won't open.

I posted on your Oyster site about a journey where I strayed into zone 7. I had £10 on my card at the start of the day,not realising that the off-peak cap for zones 1-7 is £11.60,when I touched out at the end of the train journey it tipped me into a negative balance but the gate still opened.

tannedfrog

I posted on your Oyster site about a journey where I strayed into zone 7. I had £10 on my card at the start of the day,not realising that the off-peak cap for zones 1-7 is £11.60,when I touched out at the end of the train journey it tipped me into a negative balance but the gate still opened.
I had a similar experience, i had exactly the amount needed to make the journey from West hampstead to a zone 1 tube station, not realising that I would be charged more because of the unbroken OSI as the journey started at Elstree. The tube barriers still let me out and the balance was negative.

tannedfrog

That does not sound at all right to me.
As in i am mistaken or that it is unfair?

It was before the barriers were installed at West Hampstead TL. I touched in at Elstree, got off at West hampstead TL, walked to west hampstead tube, touched my card on the top-up machine. It told me journey incomplete from Elstree - so I walked back to west hampstead TL to touch out, but it told me that was an "entry".

Therefore touching the topup machine sealed the uncompleted journey as incomplete ! :(

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Hmmm. What about when you strayed over the maximum journey time becasue you hung around at Sutton. I'll admit that it's never happened to me because I've got auto-topup enabled. More research required possibly.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As in i am mistaken or that it is unfair?

It was before the barriers were installed at West Hampstead TL. I touched in at Elstree, got off at West hampstead TL, walked to west hampstead tube, touched my card on the top-up machine. It told me journey incomplete from Elstree - so I walked back to west hampstead TL to touch out, but it told me that was an "entry".

Therefore touching the topup machine sealed the uncompleted journey as incomplete ! :(

That's reading the journey history off your card. It's possible that because of the OSI at West Hampstead it doesn't read complete until after the maximum journey time has elapsed. I don't know for sure though. What I do know is that touching on a validator again at the same station as you last exited WILL start a new journey (unless continuation exit is set, which it isn't at WH).

londonbridge

Established Member
Hmmm. What about when you strayed over the maximum journey time becasue you hung around at Sutton?

On that occasion it came up as Seek Assistance and the gate would not open.

The only other time I've gone into a negative balance was when I touched out at Croydon at 2.25am and was charged for an incomplete journey because the end of day processing at the station had already been done. Again,on that occasion the gate wouldn't open. But it definitely did on the zone 7 trip,though why it opened that time and not on the other two I have no idea.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
On that occasion it came up as Seek Assistance and the gate would not open.

The only other time I've gone into a negative balance was when I touched out at Croydon at 2.25am and was charged for an incomplete journey because the end of day processing at the station had already been done. Again,on that occasion the gate wouldn't open. But it definitely did on the zone 7 trip,though why it opened that time and not on the other two I have no idea.

It's probably a configurable setting. A card with a negative balance will not work any other gates or validate on buses etc so the revenue isn't so much at risk. I'll make a mental note though that gates might open but probably won't.

tannedfrog

That's reading the journey history off your card. It's possible that because of the OSI at West Hampstead it doesn't read complete until after the maximum journey time has elapsed. I don't know for sure though. What I do know is that touching on a validator again at the same station as you last exited WILL start a new journey (unless continuation exit is set, which it isn't at WH).
What i am saying is this - touched in at Elstree, forgot to touch out at unbarriered West Hampstead Thameslink, got charged max fare immediately that I touched card on topup machine at West Hampstead tube station.

I should have been able to walk back (2 mins) to touch out at West Hampstead Thameslink.

However i know you are not TFL and I dont mean to sound like I am challenging you on it!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What i am saying is this - touched in at Elstree, forgot to touch out at unbarriered West Hampstead Thameslink, got charged max fare immediately that I touched card on topup machine at West Hampstead tube station.

I should have been able to walk back (2 mins) to touch out at West Hampstead Thameslink.

However i know you are not TFL and I dont mean to sound like I am challenging you on it!

OK, I have to say that that is very interesting. The max fare was actually deducted at Elstree, but it certainly does seem as though the LU machine has finished the journey. Now LU machines can do a lot more than either NR or DLR machines, so maybe they will end an unfinished journey. I'd be very surprised if they'd interrupt an OSI though.

You're right, I don't work for TfL, but I do try to understand everything there is to know about Oyster. This is the sort of little detail that can make a big difference understanding what's happening when people have problems, so thanks for sharing it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The max fare was already deducted at Elstree.
Agreed. Are you sure you definitely touched out at a validator set for exit?

If you touched at a validator set for entry then it would charge another max fare (although if you touched out again within 2 mins this would be cancelled).

If you touched at a barrier set for exit and it did not complete the journey, and the maximum journey time had not elapsed then it is theoretically possible that the machine at the tube station had somehow prevented the journey being completed. But it doesn't sound right, as in that does not seem correct. Not saying you are definitely mistaken but if there is a possibility you touched at an entry validator then that could explain it?

Status
Not open for further replies.