• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Advance Ticket Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
How come if I go onto Virgin's main website it states tickets are available up until the 17th of May, yet if I go onto their mobile website it says the 2nd of June??

I'm needing some tickets - not yet, because I'm travelling end of June/early July - so I need to know when mine become available, so I'm keeping an eye on their website.

What don't offer email alerts like EC? :-?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
2nd June? I don't think any TOC has released tickets for 2nd June yet, so probably some sort of mistake.

17th May seems correct.

Bungle73

On Moderation
The 17th is the correct date then? Thanks. I thought it might be wrong as it's been saying the 17th for what seems like ages (I'm not sure how long), and EC are offering up until the 30th which is several weeks ahead.

http://m.virgintrains.co.uk/ways-to-save/ (under "Book in advance").

Bungle73

On Moderation
It has now been over a week since my OP, and their website is still saying the 17th of May, and it had said that long before then. Something is definitely not right.

Orange Box

VT are saying to other TOCs that reservations from 18 May are "not open open due to working on new timetable, expected to open by 7 April".

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Since LM are also stuck on 17th May, perhaps someone fancies asking what the heck Network Rail are playing at. :roll:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I've been asking about this too...

http://railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=97528

7th April sounds a bit of a risk for me to take to get a decent fare - annoyingly the via York XC prices and flights have gone up by quite a bit since I started looking - annoyingly that date doesn't seem to be being publicised to the general public.

Bungle73

On Moderation
It is still saying 17th of May! WTF is going on? Virgin's website used to have a message saying more tickets would be available today, but that has disappeared, and there is still no sign of them!

Bungle73

On Moderation
Someone needs to give NR a kick up the proverbial. Why the hell are they taking so long?

alex17595

I wonder how much business they have lost (and will lose) to other operators and flights?

Or even semi-advance.

They would loose my business but I can't get an advance to the airport without Virgin!
I can't get the XC only fares to appear. :(

I also need to buy an advance from STP but I might just get a CIV connecting ticket from Eurostar.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I just need an advance to get back from Scotland (will be in Glasgow on the Saturday night, but will have the final day of my freedom of scotland card if needed) on the 18th May, as I'm heading up on the East Coast for my week holiday I prefer a trip on the West Coast.

Squaddie

There's a story in today's Guardian about a reader who had problems - and misinformation - when attempting to book Virgin Advance tickets for Easter.
This year I bought six advance single tickets from London to Carlisle for Saturday 12 April at the bargain price of £12.50 each. I then waited for the Carlisle to London tickets to become available for 19 April. Dates either side became available, but nothing for 19 April, except very early morning. I was not willing to pay the standard fare of £109 single so on 7 March I contacted Virgin customer services. I was told that no advance tickets were going to be released because there was going to be a restricted service due to rail works.

I therefore sought the cheapest alternative possible via thetrainline.com, involving a longer journey and a change/hour wait at Manchester Piccadilly, totalling £24.50 each.

Then 48 hours later I found that the advance tickets at £16.50 I had sought originally had miraculously became available!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Just picked up a 16 quid ticket from Birmingham International to Glasgow (+3.20 plus bus)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I have been saying that for weeks, but it now seems that the amended timetable has been loaded into the system therefore it is purely down to Vermin.

Are they?

Seems selected dates are and others aren't. I've got the ticket I wanted :D

Kite159

Veteran Member
19th, 20th May, 27th May, plus Mondays and Tuesdays in June are available.

"Unfortunately, at the moment, we’re not able to open Advance fares as early as usual for some dates in May and June. These dates will be added shortly."

Sammy h

If you are local to a Virgin booking office or passing one they all have lists of when dates will be released. The majority of June will be released over the next week or so.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's a story in today's Guardian about a reader who had problems - and misinformation - when attempting to book Virgin Advance tickets for Easter.

Would you buy advance single tickets without knowing you can definitely get an advance single back that coupled together would be cheaper than a SVR return?

It is a risk.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This is where a SVH can be useful, in addition to giving flexibility some flexibility on the return journey.

I do wish that other operators would offer SVH's as they are very useful.

Does anyone know why SVH's can't be purchased through webtis booking sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.