• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains (VTWC) new livery being introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt_mad

Established Member
As has been mentioned many times before, the only reasons the Pendolino's are being repainted is because Angel wanted them repainting. Voyagers aren't being touched as they aren't due a repaint yet - there's no 125mph diesel designs at the moment anyway which can tilt.

Surely the Voyagers must be due a repaint very soon as are they even older than the Pendolinos? I.e. Circa 2002. And the leasing company would probably wish to protect their investment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
You know - the red bird at the front, I assume to give it a sense of speed or something.

Now I've looked at it again, the Azumas' decal looks more bird-like. But definitely looks like an anteater on the Pendolinos.
I suppose the silhouette of the decals looks bird-like, but the design team wanted it to look more like "flowing silk" - allegedly.

BucksBones

Shame the bird looks more like an anteater really. Mind you, that's the same with VTECs "Azumas" too.

I suppose the silhouette of the decals looks bird-like, but the design team wanted it to look more like "flowing silk" - allegedly.

Bravo fairysdad, you’ve made my morning! Of course it’s an anteater, I’ll never see it the same way again! (I can’t imagine how you thought it was meant to be a bird though!:D)

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...

Bravo fairysdad, you’ve made my morning! Of course it’s an anteater, I’ll never see it the same way again! (I can’t imagine how you thought it was meant to be a bird though!:D)

You know, I actually genuinely thought it was supposed to be a bird on the front of the Azumas and thus also on the front of the new Pendos. (I may, however, have had a few drinks when I posted last night!) Definitely an anteater on the Pendos though!

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Looks like they’re staying as plain white. 390005 is still the only one to receive the window band and could be the only.

pt_mad

Established Member
Looks like they’re staying as plain white. 390005 is still the only one to receive the window band and could be the only.

Do you think Virgin may have requested this be added but DFT didn't approve?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Do you think Virgin may have requested this be added but DFT didn't approve?

Could be.

FWIW, I prefer the window-band version, but the white version is growing on me. Seems like that happens with white-based liveries - I now quite like the Northern one and I thought it was awful first time I saw it.

On Moderation
Could be.

FWIW, I prefer the window-band version, but the white version is growing on me. Seems like that happens with white-based liveries - I now quite like the Northern one and I thought it was awful first time I saw it.
The white version accentuates just how small the windows are. They'd be far better going for the black round the windows option.

pt_mad

Established Member
Apparently several 390s have their front and rear cars covered with vinyls advertising 'onboard entertainment'.

Apparently it's at least two of the newly branded 390s.

Havnt seen any yet can anyone confirm?

Peter0124

Established Member
Apparently several 390s have their front and rear cars covered with vinyls advertising 'onboard entertainment'.

Apparently it's at least two of the newly branded 390s.

Havnt seen any yet can anyone confirm?

390039 has it

Domh245

Established Member
I think I've found a couple of pictures from railcam. Far from covering most of the vehicle, and it's also worth noting that it appears to be vehicles 2 and 8, rather than 1 and 9.

4nEboj9.png

HDTbmo4.png

pt_mad

Established Member
Surprised the DFT agreed to this when it seems they're not even able to vinyl a black strip over the windows!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Surprised the DFT agreed to this when it seems they're not even able to vinyl a black strip over the windows!

Problems with this:

a) you suppose the DfT sign off on every item of livery change on every item of stock?!
b) even if they did, you think they'd be remotely interested in a black strip over the windows?

pt_mad

Established Member
Problems with this:

a) you suppose the DfT sign off on every item of livery change on every item of stock?!
b) even if they did, you think they'd be remotely interested in a black strip over the windows?

a)no, but I believe they (DFT) specified the most basic of designs for the Pendolino relivery pending new franchising?
b) not sure but why has only one set received the black window strip and it seemed it was then halted?

cactustwirly

Established Member
a)no, but I believe they (DFT) specified the most basic of designs for the Pendolino relivery pending new franchising?
b) not sure but why has only one set received the black window strip and it seemed it was then halted?

It's the leasing company that specified the livery, since they are the ones paying for the repaint!
I believe virgin are paying for the vinyl logo.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
What ever happened to the suggesting that VTWC were going to do a ‘20 years of Virgin Trains’ repaint? I remember that there was a CGI render and everything. Maybe I’m wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.