• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains (VTWC) new livery being introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Surely not without some huge fanfare at Euston?

It might only be a simple livery change but this is Virgin we are talking about here. Maybe they are waiting for Richard Branson to fix the Caribbean first?
That and waiting for Jeremy Corbyn to come along to cut the ribbon...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DenmarkRail

Can i just say, it has been confirmed by one of the VT Design people on Twitter, that this is an interim livery (The Dft didn't even want the Virgin logo, but they gave in) and assuming VT win in 2019, then they plan to add to the livery!

He's called Sam Jessup,

CosherB

Established Member
Can i just say, it has been confirmed by one of the VT Design people on Twitter, that this is an interim livery (The Dft didn't even want the Virgin logo, but they gave in) and assuming VT win in 2019, then they plan to add to the livery!

He's called Sam Jessup,

Yes, we know.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I noticed a Pendolino running around with a new exterior door screen the other day. It looked great, much better than the old ones. It had bright white LEDs.

davido39

I'm going to be different here. I actually like the new minimalistic livery. Virgin will no doubt add to this if they win the franchise, however it does look good. The old livery was getting a bit dated in my opinion.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Just seen the beast "in the flesh" as it were at Macclesfield, and while it is very grey, it's not half as bad as I expected it to be. And the livery does make those tiddly little Pendo windows look a bit bigger.

Attachments

• WP_20170916_16_59_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170916_16_59_30_Pro.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 279

43021HST

Established Member
Be a shame to see the old Virgin livery go, I quite liked it, quite minimalist and flowed well but still very distinctive. Far better than the complicated mess they have on the HSTs and 91s. Is it me or does the VTEC livery look rather like a mid 2000s website when complex contrasting colour schemes were the design vogue.

Thank goodness other train companies are following the trend of more minimalistic colour schemes. My two favourite recent colour schemes being the new Southeastern livery on the 377s and the GW livery.

The current livery has gone the other way from the VTEC branding, too minimalist bordering onto dull, but as stated previously I know it's an interim measure. Still far better than the VTEC livery though.

There's worse liveries the 390s could be in ...

00166ca7.jpeg

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
The current livery has gone the other way from the VTEC branding, too minimalist bordering onto dull, but as stated previously I know it's an interim measure. Still far better than the VTEC livery though.

There's worse liveries the 390s could be in ...

00166ca7.jpeg

You spelled better wrong...

I agree with you on the VTWC livery, the only improvement I can think of would have been red doors instead of white stripes and grey.

DenmarkRail

You spelled better wrong...

I agree with you on the VTWC livery, the only improvement I can think of would have been red doors instead of white stripes and grey.

If you have any issues with posts, report it to an admin, rather than shaming it on the public forum.

In all seriousness though, I think the new new livery (Post 2019) will be pretty much the same, but with the red extending onto the ends of the carriages, rather just the first driving car...

Guess we'll just wait and see ;)

507 001

Established Member
If you have any issues with posts, report it to an admin, rather than shaming it on the public forum.

In all seriousness though, I think the new new livery (Post 2019) will be pretty much the same, but with the red extending onto the ends of the carriages, rather just the first driving car...

Guess we'll just wait and see ;)

Well, that joke went straight over your head. Didn't it?

skyhigh

Established Member
Well, that joke went straight over your head. Didn't it?

By the "In all seriousness though..." I think the joke was understood - that's certainly the way I read it!

I don't think that the livery is that bad, agree it would be improved with a window band though.

Peter0124

Established Member
The old livery was great, the new livery looks like a proper and modern intercity train however, just gotta get used to it!

BurtonM

Here's 010 at Piccadilly.

It's not bad. Clever how the swooshy red bit comes out of the lights.
I quite like the lack of window band and the first class markers are much nicer.
There's an old livery set behind it for some slight comparison - next to that it looks loads nicer.

Last edited:

goblinuser

Here's 010 at Piccadilly.

I quite like the lack of window band and the first class markers are much nicer.
There's an old livery set behind it for some slight comparison - next to that it looks loads nicer.

I think it makes them look older. Crazy how much of an effect something as simple as the shape of the line between the yellow front and the side has.

irish_rail

Established Member
Always thought the old livery made pendolinos look like a train made out of lego. Very poor in my opinion. New livery looks far better

sprinterguy

Established Member
Virgin can't be best pleased that it has had to debrand the trains that it has always said it built, and allowed people to think would disappear if Virgin lost the franchise last time around.
Well, there seems to be a significant minority of the public who still think the Crosscountry franchise is run by Virgin ten years after the fact, so I don't think they need be too concerned just yet. ;)

Plus there's still great big "Virgin" logos on the cab ends where there always have been, so no change really in the amount of branding on the trains.

physics34

Established Member

Window bands only work for me if it continues all along the train.....

Status
Not open for further replies.