• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains (VTWC) new livery being introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
All over white just looks cheap, just as it does on vans and buses (because they are supplied white so it shouts out one[1] of "we can't be bothered liverying it properly" or (factual in this case) "we aren't going to have this for long").

If it was silver-grey it might almost work - the old Wales and West Alphaline 158 livery was silver-grey without a window band.

But yes, this looks awful if it is indeed "Thameslink" off-white. (You only get away with no window band on that livery because the windows are huge - just like Southern Electrostars, for example).

[1] I note that the new Greenline London-Luton coaches are white with some stickers rather than properly liveried. I'm guessing that service will be withdrawn soon, then...that, or a new Arriva Express livery will replace Greenline.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
If it was silver-grey it might almost work - the old Wales and West Alphaline 158 livery was silver-grey without a window band.
That scheme worked well in a full livery application, but it looked terribly drab in unbranded and uncared form when the units became part of the ATW franchise, which is more akin to how the intermediate vehicles of the Pendolinos will look (I agree that this is a very disappointing livery).

It does bring the Pendolinos quite closely in line with the appearance of the almost all white Azuma trains, though.

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
The nameplate isn't a physical one anymore?

Nope, looks like a sticker to me. I do wonder if a number of them will be renamed in this process to give them a more generic name. Virgin Pioneer might become "West Coast Pioneer" for example?

Crossforth

Established Member
Nope, looks like a sticker to me. I do wonder if a number of them will be renamed in this process to give them a more generic name. Virgin Pioneer might become "West Coast Pioneer" for example?

I wonder if they will auction off the physical ones like they did when Virgin XC finished

southernyoshi

Does that mean Virgin on the WCML is done for? Do they know something we don't about the franchise award?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I guess the vinyl nameplates are for ease of removal. I think the originals were glued, so would muck up the paint. (There are certainly no visible screws/bolts).

cyclebytrain

I'm curious, there are a lot of new coaches added to extend the 9s to 11s (and the 4 new ones) that (presumably) have paint that'd be good for a lot longer than the original coaches. Are the new coaches being repainted early too?

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I believe they're going as complete sets although it is interesting to note that the list in post #80 doesn't include an 11 coach pendolino this year.

Thanks,
Ross

dk1

Veteran Member
Hell that looks smart. That ribbon effect really looks classy. Glad they kept the pleasing front end :D look. I find the cast iron nameplates often look a bit grubby so probably wallpaper will add to the appearance in time. All in all I'm chuffed as always been a fan of the VTWC livery & missed the stripey doors.

Carntyne

I'm curious, there are a lot of new coaches added to extend the 9s to 11s (and the 4 new ones) that (presumably) have paint that'd be good for a lot longer than the original coaches. Are the new coaches being repainted early too?

You'd assume so. It'd mean the paint would then have the same "age" throughout the fleet for future repairs.

capital12

Doesn't that look awful, the other livery worked because it complemented the architecture of the train - that, err, doesn't.

capital12

I don't mind the Azuma livery - the window band makes a huge difference.

I thought the IET (refuse to use the A word!) looked a million times better in the Pendolino style livery mock up that was produced when they took over East Coast.

Darandio

Established Member
Has 390010 been released into service yet

Surely not without some huge fanfare at Euston?

It might only be a simple livery change but this is Virgin we are talking about here. Maybe they are waiting for Richard Branson to fix the Caribbean first?

Darandio

Established Member
Seems to be on a run from Edge Hill to Crewe and back. Might be to see if the vinyls are holding......

PR1Berske

Established Member
That most recent photo does look as though the red is a curtain stuck in a window!

XCTurbostar

Established Member
It would look right if there was more to it.. like a black window surround.

Also, are the Pendolino headlights compliant to GM/RT2131?

Thanks,
Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.