• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Watching sport from a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quakers Yard

Plenty in Wales...
Ninian Park was right outside with views from City Line in places to inside ground
Treorchy rfc...line runs beside touchline and stand
Ton Pentre fc...see the ground when the line curves
Conwy fc... as above at Nant Conwy
Newport rfc...See the lights and posts from main line
Old somerton park Newport was adjacent to the same line
Abercynon fc at Stormstown on the old colliery sidings...built when they drew Shrewsbury in Welsh Cup
The Racecourse Wrexham
Ludlow racecourse
Troedyrhiw fc...senior team now disbanded...the pitch was other way round...the building there was their once huge stand...ground used to stage fa cup matches
Aberdare athletics old football league ground is now the swimming pool you see at Aberdare station
Gowerton cc
Radyr cc...also home to Cardiff Corries fc
Field behind school just north of Treforest was the once huge Taff Vale Stadium
Finally...Hoover cc...watched Glam v Kent from the platform in 88
was also home to Hoovers fc in Welsh League...now called Merthyr Saints

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VTPreston_Tez

Bamber Bridge FC's Irongate pitch can be viewed from passing trains. Best bet is a Blackpool South - Colne train as it will either be about to stop or just set off from the station. York trains of course don't stop so you'll be passing at a greater speed.

Page 1!

Taking a punt, I'd expect Brentford to have a partially visible pitch.

Quakers Yard

More sport-spots:
Ystrad Rhondda rfc...line runs behind the posts...the pitch is very clear
Crumlin rfc at Aberbeeg/Llanhileth and Newbridge rfc...partial view
Dawlish rfc...line adjacent to touchline
Moneyfields fc in Portsmouth near Fratton has the line behind one of the goals as does Brading fc on IoW.
Newport harlequins rfc on Marches line very clear too.
Lancaster City fc just below the station
The field under the bridge by Dockyard station was Plymouth Albions original ground.
There must be more!

Last edited:

mr williams

Slightly off topic but back in the 1980s I was on a train somewhere outside Newport as we passed a sports field where a cricket match was taking place.

As one, a group of American tourists sitting nearby excitedly exclaimed "Oh look, they're playing soccer!!!!" :roll::roll:

Quakers Yard

That could have been Newport harlequins rfc's park...many grounds in Wales are multi-purpose.
Barry Island cc is also clearly visible...Glam played there once.
Ynysyngharad Park Pontypridd CC another Glam outground and Pontypridd town fc also visible at south side of station as is parts of Sardis Road Pontypridd rfc on both lines north but more clearly to/from Rhondda.
There is also a story in a cricket book of a six hit at St Helens Swansea and the ball ending up in Crewe on a wagon from the Mumbles Railway...not sure how it could be true though!
Remember going to Alvechurch fc in 88 to see Merthyr and the ground was at the foot of an embankment. A valley lines type blue 3-car dmu went past and looked imposing as it went round a curve...the picture made the cover for the next match programme.
Common Road Evesham utd fc was similar before it was redeveloped.

Speedway, greyhound racing and formerly football at Poole Stadium. I don't think you could see any action from the tracks

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Another Welsh one is Pandy Park, home of Cross Keys RFC, which you can see from the Ebbw Vale line.

50010 Monarch

There is a very good view of the Taunton RFC ground when leaving the station in the Bristol/Castle Cary direction.

Minilad

Established Member
Anyone mentioned Reading Town FC yet. Full view of the pitch from the line as it passes Scours Lane.
Also the Cheltenham Town FC training ground is right next to the line about a Mile and a half north of Cheltenham

Romford Greyhound track is entirely visible from trains on the GEML

Quakers Yard

Barmouth town fc Cymru alliance towards Harlech...clear view
Y traeth Porthmadog fc ex LOW side from the cob...partial view
Boghead park Dumbarton fcs old ground at south side of Dumbarton West had a partial view.
Kilbowie Clydebank fcs old ground backed onto Singer line if I recall correctly.
Millmoor Rotherham utd fc had the railway end.. the ground is still standing at Masborough.
Boothferry park hull city fc had a halt right behind one of the goals.
Partial view of Dinas Powis fc Welsh Lge ground on way to Barry.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Newport harlequins rfc on Marches line very clear too.

I think the one that you mean is Newport High School Old Boys RFC. The ground is on the road between Caerleon and Usk, and is on the right hand side going north.

Brentford's ground (Griffin Park) is clearly visible from the M4 motorway, but I don't know about from a train. I note that the line does go pretty near to the ground, though, but I haven't been there, so I don't know.

tony6499

I believe the AMEX Brightons ground is the nearest league ground to a station but it's impossible to see anything inside of it

OhNoAPacer

Just north of Workington station you run very close to Derwent Park, Workington Town Rugby League and Workington Comets Speedway, not much to see but I guess the odd ooop and under might be visible :D

As you cross the Derwent looking inland you can also see Borough Park, home of the not at all mighty Workington Reds, all together now "we've got Johnny Johnny Martin on the wing ..."

Quakers Yard

Been to BMF...very clear view from a bridge
Done Brentford once...cant recall a line going past but had a pub on each corner of the ground.
Newport hsob rfc it was then!
Keynsham town fc clear but distant view ..also keynshsm rfc and cc
Team Bath sports complex...clear view of the pitches...one of them near the big pavilion was used for their televised fa cup tie v mansfield about 13 years ago.

hassaanhc

Established Member
I think the one that you mean is Newport High School Old Boys RFC. The ground is on the road between Caerleon and Usk, and is on the right hand side going north.

Brentford's ground (Griffin Park) is clearly visible from the M4 motorway, but I don't know about from a train. I note that the line does go pretty near to the ground, though, but I haven't been there, so I don't know.
Been to BMF...very clear view from a bridge
Done Brentford once...cant recall a line going past but had a pub on each corner of the ground.
Newport hsob rfc it was then!
Keynsham town fc clear but distant view ..also keynshsm rfc and cc
Team Bath sports complex...clear view of the pitches...one of them near the big pavilion was used for their televised fa cup tie v mansfield about 13 years ago.
You can just see the stadium from the line but not the actual pitch :)

Quakers Yard

Another two...Gloucester cricket grd...is that the one sometimes used for county cricket?
Cricket grd on east side of Bath...dont think its the Somerset outground!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Another two...Gloucester cricket grd...is that the one sometimes used for county cricket?

Cricket grd on east side of Bath...dont think its the Somerset outground!

The cricket ground at Gloucester belongs to the Kings School, Gloucester, and is called Archdeacon Meadow Playing Fields. It is the place where Gloucestershire play several County matches each year.

Kingsholm, where Gloucester Rugby play, is visible from the train, but you can only see the main stand and not the pitch.

The cricket ground on the east side of Bath belongs to The Bath Cricket Club. It's not a Somerset out ground, but they used to (aand maybe still do?) play at The Recreation Ground in Bath (which is also the home of Bath Rugby). I think that part of the ground is just visible from the train as it goes through Sidney Street Gardens, but it might just be the rugby ground rather than the cricket ground.

:)

aylesbury2

On the London to Aylesbury line, between Stoke Mandeville and Aylesbury you can see occasional track and field events at the home of the Paralympics, Stoke Mandeville Stadium!

Last edited:

Chapeltom

Established Member
Parrswood Celtic of the Lancashire and Cheshire League Division One (13th level of football). Easily visible from trains going towards Manchester Picc after Levenshulme and just after Slade Lane Junction heading down the airport line. I must have passed it 400 times, finally saw a match there on Wednesday, they beat Burnage 3-2. Decent set-up, railed on 3 sides.

D1009

Established Member
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Aintree (unless I missed it earlier when my Internet was playing silly beggars!)

It's no longer possible since the line is closed, but I remember as a kid seeing The Grand National on telly and being fascinated more by the trains parked up in the sidings alongside. I am sure there were always people on board watching from the the carriage windows (although whether they were paying punters or railway staff catching what they could from an unofficial vantage point I couldn't say!)
It was far from unofficial. That would probably be around the time I started on the railway. It was customary for the Divisional Manager to run his inspection saloon, steam hauled from Lime Street to Fazakerley Sidings to entertain guests, usually important freight customers to watch the Grand National. Needless to say the saloon was well stocked with alcohol!

Leylandlad

Cricket match was in progress at Adlington cricket ground when we went past tonight about 1800 on the 1724 Manchester Oxford Rd-Blackpool N.

2x142's. Not been on a Pacer for a while, forgot how uncomfortable they are :roll:

Quakers Yard

Forgot...Ynysowem rfc swalec league div five...grove field Aberfan between Merthyr Vale and Troedyrhiw very clear view across the river.

Howardh

Established Member
The old Warwick Road station (now Old Trafford metrolink). If the wicket is in the right position as it was today (a bit like the cycle of the moon!!) then there is - literally - a small window of opportunity to see the game, from the station at least. Manchester-bound platform, just before the western end you can see between the stand and media centre and through a fence both sets of stumps. Pity there's never any play due to "bad light".....perhaps the floodlights aren't good enough!!

DownSouth

Established Member
The SteamRanger heritage line in South Australia puts on extra trains to function as a useful form of public transport every time the Tour Down Under (an event of the WorldTour, basically the F1 World Championship of cycling) has a stage finish in one of the towns along what was originally the first railway in mainland Australia.

One year even included one of their level crossings on the route, the steam train in service on the day was parked next to the crossing to provide a spectator opportunity and get the train seen on live TV in 80+ countries, with the fireman taking this photo from on top of the tender...

TDU2012_kevinM.jpg

There was a stage in the Giro d'Italia last year where the race route ran alongside the SNCF line near Modane in south-eastern France and the driver of a freight service that had just cleared the Frejus tunnel slowed to keep pace with the leading cyclists and shout encouragement to them.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Both the Emirates and the Olympic Stadia are visible from their respective lines, but they are external views only.

Status
Not open for further replies.