• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird train-related dreams

Envy123

I dreamed that I boarded a Cambridge service from King's Cross with the intention to get off at Finsbury Park for a local service.

The driver found it too difficult to stop at Finsbury Park and skipped the station. Next stop was Potters Bar.

An RPI asked me for my ticket. I showed her my Oyster card, explaining that I needed to get off at Finsbury Park. The RPI said that she understood my frustration and permitted me to take a slow service back to New Southgate.

As the train stopped at Potters Bar, I saw a couple of Oyster card readers. I of course didn't touch out so I couldn't see the fare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hang on, what??

So you went to FP for a local service to Cambridge, which must of came from Moorgate otherwise youd be on it from KX, ended up in Potters Bar and then doubled back to New Southgate to get to Cambridge??

:lol:!!!

DasLunatic

Okay.

I dreamt that it was the early 2030s, and Northern (now operated by Govia) were selling their Class 170s, as they were redundant and surplus to requirement. All bar one were sold off to West Midlands Trains, but I managed to snap one up for the low, low price of £500,000. I had it hauled to Wabtec (behind a Scharfenberg-fitted 68) and converted into a mobile home, as well as upgrading it to be capable of 110mph running. The modifications to become my new abode were...
- Removal of all passenger doors bar one
- All windows tinted
- Renumbering into 170999
- Beds, sofas and TVs fitted where seats once were
- Driver's cab walls removed

The work took seven weeks, and I decided to test my new home by driving to the Nene Valley sidings, near Peterboro'. It drove smoothly and it was parked at the end of a siding. I went to sleep, and woke up with a start heading non-stop to Hastings, at 110mph. I was able to save myself by forcing the inter-coach couplers apart using a fire extinguisher, and I screeched to a halt just past St. Leonards Warrior Square.

That'll teach me not to watch Last Passenger before I go to bed...

Envy123

Hang on, what??

So you went to FP for a local service to Cambridge, which must of came from Moorgate otherwise youd be on it from KX, ended up in Potters Bar and then doubled back to New Southgate to get to Cambridge??

:lol:!!!

My intention was to go KX to FP to New Southgate. I boarded a Cambridge service which stopped at FP which would give me the opportunity to change for a slow service to New Southgate.

All that failed when the driver skipped FP and the RPI on-board understood my frustration. Potters Bar obviously had Oyster at that time so I was safe.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had another funny dream the other day.

I was on the little two coach train, that goes from Sittingbourne to Sheerness, (A line I used to travel on a lot years ago as my Grandparents lived on the Isle of Sheppey.) When the train arrived at Sheerness, it was announced that it would be the first passenger train for many years to continue to the Old Dockyard Station, but instead of reversing along the existing but little used siding and triangle to the Dockyard, it went forward, across the road, past the Amusement arcade and Tesco and along some very old rusty and waterlogged track that was either by or in the canal, which sort of still remains near Sheerness although on the otherside of the town, The Dockyard Station when we arrived was very run down indeed. Alot of train spotters and enthusiasts all got on at Sheerness before we sent off and were annoyed that I was in a front seat with forward views, (A bit like an old DMU I suppose.) No Idea where that came from?

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
Tonight i was dreaming that i was at the driverspot and that everybody thought that i was the engineer of the train. I thought every excuse for not having to leave the station.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I had a dream last night that I was waiting at Kings + because the queen was arriving on a 365 from Kings Lynn. But I was getting bored of waiting so went to get a timetable leaflet off the rack, but they were all for c2c. Anyway I saw the queen then walked off and my boss called me to ask my location as he said he'd seen me in the background on Sky News.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Odd one last night - me and a group of Northern crew coupled together a couple of pacers and ran them down south and into France ending up in Paris - entering the station with each unit blasting away on the horn. We were met by a reception committee of the French President, the British Ambassador, several French celebrities, His Holiness The Pope and promptly awarded the Légion d'honneur and the George Cross

geoffk

Established Member
Once I was conducting an opera in an engine shed. Not as daft as it sounds at the Roundhouse Theatres in Camden and Derby are former sheds. It's said that Stoke-on-Trent roundhouse would have made a great opera house but it was in the wrong part of town......

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Last night I dreamed that I was at Staines Railways Station, which in the dream was on a hill, I was on the London Bound platform waiting for a much delayed, 4 hours, steam special that was coming from Windsor. Whilst waiting and trying to find out what happening via the help point, a slam door electric train, like the ones that used to run from Waterloo to Reading came through from the country end, but it was 5 coaches, not four as they used to be and was loco hauled too. As it went through, the three rear coaches became and uncoupled and rolled backwards towards Windsor where the steam train was coming from, I was worried they may bump into each other but a few minutes later a good train came through on the same track. Never did find out what happened about my steam train trip though.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Whilst waiting and trying to find out what happening via the help point, a slam door electric train, like the ones that used to run from Waterloo to Reading came through from the country end, but it was 5 coaches, not four as they used* to be and was loco hauled too..

Was it loco hauled 442s...?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Was it loco hauled 442s...?

No, :) It was the old type of EMU that used to work the Waterloo to Reading services before the Junipers took over, but it was odd as it was a five car set rather than the normal four car sets that these units were formed of.

(I did have another recurring rail dream, but I can't remember it, I will post when it comes back to me.)

backontrack

Established Member
Odd one last night - me and a group of Northern crew coupled together a couple of pacers and ran them down south and into France ending up in Paris - entering the station with each unit blasting away on the horn. We were met by a reception committee of the French President, the British Ambassador, several French celebrities, His Holiness The Pope and promptly awarded the Légion d'honneur and the George Cross

I thought this was the dream thread... :lol:

Calthrop

Established Member
Had not had a rail-related dream for a long while; but, a vivid one last night, in which I was at some unspecified spot in the southern reaches of the LMS’s West Coast Main Line, during World War II. Was observing much intensive and dramatic action, all-steam of course, mostly freight: largely featuring a 4-6-0 type “much like, but not altogether like” the Black Five, which I was aware was called the “Cartel” class. There was also at one point, an elephant (!) shunting goods wagons. Was also aware during the dream, of myself being in a succession of different military and civilian roles. I could use plenty more dreams like this one...

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Had not had a rail-related dream for a long while; but, a vivid one last night, in which I was at some unspecified spot in the southern reaches of the LMS’s West Coast Main Line, during World War II. Was observing much intensive and dramatic action, all-steam of course, mostly freight: largely featuring a 4-6-0 type “much like, but not altogether like” the Black Five, which I was aware was called the “Cartel” class. There was also at one point, an elephant (!) shunting goods wagons. Was also aware during the dream, of myself being in a succession of different military and civilian roles. I could use plenty more dreams like this one...

:lol:! Now DB can scrap their Class 08 shunters in favour of elephants!

I had one that was based up the Severn Valley Railway, the diesel gala was on and I was there for the first train, except I didn't know when the first train was. I saw this black Class 05 shunter (couldn't remember the number, 05xxx) which was basically some 0-4-0DM shunter, which was coupling up to this rake of van wagons with a brakevan on, I thought it was getting ready to do a brakevan ride with these vans.

I had my ticket but had no timetable. Kidderminster layout was a lot different, in that I had to go up this hill, probably a minute or 2 walk from the platforms, to the ticket office. I asked for a timetable and got given one in this sealed envelope. I then ran back down to the platforms just in case the 05 was still there.
There was nothing there but I heard a horn. Now the platforms aren't like Kidderminster SVR at all, it was a very wide island platform and long enough to fit a long train in, and halfway up in the middle was a bay platform, something a bit like the middle bay at Willesden Junction Low Level.

Anyway I went to the buffer end of this bay platform to get a shot of the 05 coming in with these Mk1's, I got the shot but then noticed it was doing a good 40mph+ into the bay, and it couldn't stop and crashed through the buffers and careered into two yellow containers that just happened to be in the middle of the island platform.

Very odd! I hope there isn't an incident at the SVR any time soon, not my fault if there is! :lol:

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Just had YET ANOTHER Weymouth dream!

I went to Trowbridge station for the last ever Weymouth service, for some reason GW were closing the line from Castle Cary to Weymouth.

I left a lot of time to get to the station, and at the station approach which leads to the car park, there was a destination screen, and next to that a list of services which will be short formed, and the screen was full of services mainly showing 2 car formations.

The train was in the platform and I narrowly missed it, it was formed of 143621, and I remember wondering what a 143 was doing up here on the Weymouth! For some reason I got off at Castle Cary, can't remember why, then realized I missed the opportunity to be on the last service to Weymouth, but I wasn't too fussed about missing the Pacer ride.

That's all I remember

trainophile

Established Member
I must have been reading RailUK too much - last night I had a very vivid dream (a lot of you were in it!) that I had volunteered to organise a forum meet on a preservation railway outing, and it was a complete shambles :lol: .

All the things that should have happened didn't, e.g. refreshments on board and a tour guide to give a commentary, and there were loads too many people for the available seats. I was getting more and more embarrassed, and was relieved to wake up!

I think I can account for the tour guide bit - on a Merseyrail train yesterday morning I got talking to a lady who was on her way to Liverpool to be a tour guide for a bus full of French visitors, and due to our train being cancelled, and the next one running late, she was already 15 minutes late. Then we were held in Moorfields closed platform for ages, so she couldn't even let them know she would be later still.

Remind me not to offer to organise any meets :lol: .

Loop Line

I had a dream 2 or 3 times as a nipper. A merseyrail train would plough through my play school causing no damage. Rather as if it was normal, then Rolf Harris would chase growl angrily at me from the seat of one of those tractors with the smaller bucket at the rear. He was facing backwards as if using the rear bucket. I would pass over a stone bridge and the hood of a blue jacket I wore in primary school would be caught in the wall
Of the bridge and I would turn to look behind and see Rolf there in the tractor.

Henbury Loop

I had a dream that a HST went storming through Latteridge level crossing on the Tytherington Branch, maybe I'm just subconsciously wishing for it? It was very random indeed.:idea:

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
Another last night, this time fever-induced. I was waiting for a train at Elephant and Castle but the platforms were very far apart. When the train arrived it was a large logo 37 hauling Anglia-livery Mk 2s. Somehow we had got ourselves on the wrong side of the train so had to walk along the ballast and pull ourselves up into the guards van.

Calthrop

Established Member
Last night -- odd one in which I was in the western parts of Poland, featuring Wolsztyn, but not exclusively that venue; which part of the world I visited a certain amount, in the 1980s / 90s, when IMO "real" steam was till active. In my dream, real steam was the situation -- with lots of steam action observed, on both passenger and freight. Much time was wasted for me, in consultation with a youthful supposed expert on the then current steam scene -- who turned out actually not to have a clue about same...

trainophile

Established Member
I was on trains for six hours yesterday so went to bed exhausted, and dreamed I was on a Virgin Pendolino at Lime Street, and got told I had to hoover right through it before it could go! :shock:

Envy123

Another weird one.

A London Midland train and a VTEC train were connected to each other as a service from Kings Cross and Edinburgh. The London Midland portion literally didn't have a floor (!) and passengers rightfully struggled to get off the train.

Since when did Ediburgh become part of the Midlands? :lol:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one the other night. I was, for some reason, at a small station in New York and was told that a couple of long distance trains were due in, the first came along and looked like it was a normal train, then the second train came along, it was announced that it was a transcontinental express going from NYC to L.A. but when it came in, it was a Old London routemaster bus, mounted on railway bogies, a bit like the pacers, when I asked where the sleeping cars were, I was told they were not needed as the journey would only take 8 hours!

Alex 2901

One of the most mental dreams I had in a while was this:

I'd gone into Walsall on the bus, which was an old Mk2 Metrobus in the old TWM livery, "Huh, guess a Metros been reinstated or summat!" Bit odd even at that bit as it was 2015 and Walsall withdrew it's Mk2 Metros in 2009! At Walsall Bus Stn, I got told to "watch the road, the bus is coming" only for a 142 Pacer to pull in (on road wheels) with an LED Blind displaying "341 Willenhall". By this point, I was past trying to understand this! Only to be topped off by a large station called Walsall Central, where the 51 etc go from in Walsall Bus Stn, with an announcement for a service to London Euston via Birmingham International! I literally just thought "eh f*** it! Metros for the win!" And managed to clear all of the Metros in a day! And a few Pacers on the road?!

Thing is, I was on a Voyager when I had that dream...

Gutfright

Bad one last night.

I was in a Super Sprinter with the family during a very heavy storm. The train stopped with a steep hill on one side and the sea on the other side. After waiting for a while the passengers began to notice that the sea level was rising. Then the power cut out. The water level kept rising until the train was nearly underwater, then iThe whole train tipped over and started sinking to the bottom of the sea.

The interior of the train began to fill with ice-cold water as everyone panickedly tried to find a way out of the train. I was screaming for my family but there was no reply. I was looking for those small hammer things they have to break a window, but it was pitch black and I couldn't see a thing.

Bloody terrifying, it was.

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
I had a first class ticket to Bristol and was waiting at Paddington. When it was announced it was an Intercity liveried HST calling at Salisbury, Twerton Parkway(?) and London Waterloo. Unfortunately it was already completely full of people, so they brought a 319 into the platform and coupled it to the front power car. When I got on the first class compartment was a mixture of very tight airline seats and loose school-type plastic chairs around tables.