• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird train-related dreams

TurboFintan

I had one of my most bizarre train-related dream last night:

I was at Bedford waiting for a train to London where I saw a Southeastern class 465 on a Bedford to Bletchley train, despite it being operated by London Midland and is diesel only! Next my train arrived, which consisted of a pair of Great Western Railway class 165s even though they don't serve Bedford at all!

The train to London was a stopper and when we stopped at Maidenhead, I noticed our PM Theresa May was the guard on our train! Whilst she was closing doors, I told her the train we were on was DOO only and in response she smiled and jumped off the train before the doors closed and soon the train and myself continued into London.

Upon arrival at London at the terminus of Paddington station, I noticed the lack of HSTs but plenty of GWR-liveried class 317s on express duties. Some of them were even in BR Blue livery! Last thing I recall was going to ask staff where some of them were heading off to!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

r37

I had another strange one.

I was at Southampton Central waiting at platform 5 :D for what seemed to be a railtour. It was formed of a Class 66 in EWS colours with 5 mark 2 coaches, and they were painted in a bizarre looking jet black and yellow livery.

My friends and I got on the train and we were greeted by the guard who told us there were free spirits for all guests, and then proceeded to get us all drunk! We got off the train at what I think was Bristol Temple Meads, we could barely walk along the platform then we got arrested by an RPI, for being "drunk in public"... After that I woke up, luckily.

... I think I have the strangest dreams in this thread. :lol:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Had one last night.

Caught a train of S Stock from Wimbledon to Parsons Green before realising I'd left my bag on it. Ended up randomly deciding to continue on a D Stock train (7013/7058) to the next stop, where I consulted the station manager to ask for the driver of the first train to be contacted.

The station manager, Donald Trump, informed me that the driver was now aware and that I may as well do whatever until the train returned, so I ended up catching a 1973 stock train to Wimbledon for some reason.

coupwotcoup

I dreamt that Crossrail was up and running and after £15 billion my journey to Liverpool
Street was quicker than when I started work in 1967 - then I woke up...

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had a really odd one last night. I was in the front of a single unit either in the west country or Ireland, the railway track ran out/sort of disappeared under a public foot path until we got to a sandy beach, where we had to continue onto another train, accessed via a tunnel through the sand, then when the next train arrived, it was a load of old wooden school type chairs with wheels, linked by chains and pulled side ways. !!

southern442

Established Member
I had one last night. I was on a Virgin Pendolino heading towards Manchester. It had an open cab i.e. there was no partition between the cab, vestibule, and the main seating area. All of the train crew were various doctors and nurses that I've had over the past few months, as well as one or two cast members of Casualty. We stopped at Macclesfield, which looked a bit like a small Manchester Piccadilly. I got off but realised my bag was still on the train. I ran after the train, which reversed out the station, and eventually got it back by climbing onto the train. We went back into Macclesfield, all the crew and I huddled in the cab, at about 125mph, crashing into a class 175 that was now parked in our platform. Miraculously, we all escaped unharmed.

175mph

On Moderation
About a week ago, I had a dream that I boarded a Transpennine Express service at Dore & Totley station, which was unstaffed and I know in real life it is, even though I've never been through it, or used it.

The conductor comes round to sell me a ticket and I ask for Sheffield. He sells me the ticket, and then even though the train is moving at full speed, he then proceeds to get a key out and unlocks the door I'm stood nearest to, (the train was very crowded so standing space only), and opens the door. As soon as I feel like I'm going to be sucked out of the train by the force of the wind, he closes the doors again and laughs at me.

I know this would NEVER happen in real life, but what could this dream have meant?

Calthrop

Established Member
One last night -- I was assigned in some kind of quiz, or educational project, a task involving the Frisian Islands off Germany's North Sea coast; most of which islands have "over time" had narrow-gauge railways, of varying extents. I was presented with basically blank maps of the islands, and required to show accurately on same, the course of the railways; was finding it indeed a "nightmare" exercise to contend with.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
From last night - I was standing at Exeter St Davids during the day and a train to Plymouth pulled in with a Class 68 hauling a rake of the new Caledonian Sleeper CAF seated coaches all which were in the new GWR green livery! There were passengers on board looking out the windows.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
From last night - I was standing at Exeter St Davids during the day and a train to Plymouth pulled in with a Class 68 hauling a rake of the new Caledonian Sleeper CAF seated coaches all which were in the new GWR green livery! There were passengers on board looking out the windows.

Now that is a weird dream as it implies that all the seats lined up with the windows... :lol:

12CSVT

Established Member
Not directly train related, but I was on a rail replacement bus which had to get from Crewe to Preston in the same timings as a class 390 Pendolino, speeding though Wigan town centre at 100 mph

r37

I had a most bizarre one last night. I was at a French train station (don't know which one it was!) and I was trying to find out which platform my train was on. I could see the platforms and the trains, instead of being French, were all German (DB class 422). The platforms were all on different floors and to get to them you go up an escalator which had signs on it saying which stations that platform lead to. However after going up the escalator to the wrong platform I found there was no way of getting down, the only way of leaving was to get on the train. So I ended up on a train to Belgium. :lol:

r37

This is obviously becoming a pattern! Had another strange one last night. I was waiting at Southampton Central for my train and I watched other trains passing; there were no 450s/444s/158s/whatever you see here - all the trains were 1938 tube stock in SWT livery! Then when my train came in it was the same stock but hauled by a 37 in WCR maroon. Many people were taking pictures of this unusual sight.

What an odd dream that was!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
This is obviously becoming a pattern! Had another strange one last night. I was waiting at Southampton Central for my train and I watched other trains passing; there were no 450s/444s/158s/whatever you see here - all the trains were 1938 tube stock in SWT livery! Then when my train came in it was the same stock but hauled by a 37 in WCR maroon. Many people were taking pictures of this unusual sight.

What an odd dream that was!

Yes, some dreams can be really strange.

Calthrop

Established Member
Was transported back in time dream-wise last night, to 29th December 1934: last day of operation of the Cork & Muskerry 3ft gauge system in Ireland. Seeking to cover the system on its last day, I travelled out by a train from its Cork terminus. A breakdown or some other mishap (details of this, now vague) occurred not very far out; passengers were "rescued" by means of a road vehicle which was to take them back to Cork. This journey proved -- incongruously -- to be long, and through beauteous and colourful mountain scenes with far-reaching vistas -- wherein it looked and felt like midsummer, though it was supposedly the end of December. It continued with the travellers having laboriously to trudge and climb on foot, through beautiful crystal mountains, rather a la The Lord of the Rings -- then I woke up. All quite odd.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one last night, I was somewhere in the south of England at a very small station, looked like it was in someones back garden, with a tiny platform, think (Dilton Marsh) awaiting a 158 all the way to Durham? expected it to be dark blue or purple liovery. I had to change my trousers and have a wash for some reason, then as I was doing so, the train came in, I had to run for it pulling up said trousers. It was a three coach IC 125! in the above colours, the guard then told me off for being late and said I had to go into a detention class?? Then thankfully I woke up.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had an odd dream a few nights ago, I was waiting at Exeter St. Davids Railway Station for a London Waterloo bound train, but on the Paddington bound platforms, it was coming from the Cornwall direction, then heading towards Taunton. It was late, but then two 159 units sped through again from the Cornwall end on parallel lines with out stopping, they were in regional railways livery, other livery there was the old Chocolate & Cream GWR livery. Very odd.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I had one ages ago where I was waiting at Basingstoke station and a blue and yellow train turned up with slam doors. The announcement said it was the IKEA Railway service to Southampton Central only. I got on it and it was pitch black inside and then the voice of Anne Robinson yelled “WELCOME TO THE IKEA TRAIN!” in a terrifying angry manner. And then there was a massive bang and suddenly I was in Fareham...

r37

I had another one a few nights ago. I was at Reading waiting for my train to... Weymouth, and I was expecting a SWT 444. But along came an HST in the "dynamic lines" GWR livery, along with a guard shouting "this is the Weymouth train, everyone get on"! I got on the train, then when we got to the next station (Northallerton!) everyone started running up and down the carriage and they didn't know how to open the doors! They didn't realise the handle was on the outside. I was the only person in the whole carriage who knew how to open the door so I had to do it at every single station. I then alighted at York so goodness knows how everyone else managed to leave the train after that!

I had one ages ago where I was waiting at Basingstoke station and a blue and yellow train turned up with slam doors. The announcement said it was the IKEA Railway service to Southampton Central only. I got on it and it was pitch black inside and then the voice of Anne Robinson yelled “WELCOME TO THE IKEA TRAIN!” in a terrifying angry manner. And then there was a massive bang and suddenly I was in Fareham...

That is absolutely brillant. :lol: Going in IKEA is scary enough as it is!

alxndr

Established Member
Last night I had my whippet in a relay room with us, which greatly confused some young lad from telecomms who came to fix the phone, and then I was told to get rid of the dog, so walked it to my grandmother's, which turned out to only be down the road. I returned to the relay room where I started looking over the paperwork before handing it over at the end of the shift, where I noticed a plethora of awful spelling mistakes and was quite glad I got woken up.

They say you can't read in dreams, but I proved that wrong last night. Even fast asleep I know Penzance isn't spelt Pnusance...

Calthrop

Established Member
Last night the dream-type time machine was seemingly set to the 1940s or early '50s. I was in the East Midlands, at a physical intersection (which never existed in real life) of the LNWR / Great Northern joint route northward from Market Harborough (passenger service withdrawn 1953), and the Midland & Great Northern Joint system or its Midland-only westward prolongation to Saxby. This intersection was in a town which felt a lot like Melton Mowbray, though I knew in the dream that it wasn't actually MM. Two parallel single lines were featured; that on the left being LNW / GN, that on the right, M&GN; they entered a short tunnel on a downward gradient, a little way beyond the point at which I was standing. A passenger train came along, northbound on the LNW / GN route -- a tender loco, type uncertain but neither particularly ancient nor particularly modern, and three bogie coaches. Train entered the tunnel, and for some reason I followed it on foot. Where the tunnel ended and the grade levelled off, the tracks mysteriously ended in a couple of short sidings and one or two wagon turntables -- no sign of the train. Then I woke up.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had a couple more last week. One was that I was with a group of other people from my local church including the Rector & his wife, we were on the first train on a new direct route from Shepperton to Manchester Victoria. It was a Pacer 2 car Non Stop service due to take half and hour! (That would have been nice and bouncy :D ) The Rectors wife kept swapping seats as a friend of mine to is averse to using soap and water, and is in real life, kept wanting to sit next to her and chat. So that was very odd. Another recent dream, was that I was at Topsham Station on the Exeter/Exmouth line and all these fast expresses were coming through from all over the country, as well as FGWR, there were, East Midlands Trains, Cross Country, South West Trains to name but a few. I did wonder how Exmouth Station would cope with all that, seeing that there is only one platform there. I suppose FGWR & SWT would make sense as FGWR do run that service and it did used to be a London & Southwestern Service, with through carriages from Waterloo, (I think they slipped at Sidmouth or Exmouth Junctions and may have arrived into Exmouth via a route which is now closed?)

It is amazing what goes on in your subconscious mind.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The other night I dream't that I was running for a Kings Cross to Edinburgh additional train. When I got to Kings Cross I decided it was too late and just let it go. I was then astounded to see it pull out with 89001 at the front.

Envy123

Eurostar turned into Euroasia, and they made the journey from Tokyo to London - 1 hour and 40 minutes. Thousands actually decided to make the journey every day. I wonder how much the annual season was? :(

I had one where me and some other people were running in the underpass at Newbury to get to the only island platform there. There was four tracks to one side and one to the other. All but one made the train and he ran alongside beside it. He manages to keep up with the train when the doors magically open and we start to also run alongside the train. We also manage to keep up, and cross in front of it into what I assume is a siding. The last thing I remember is being about to be runnover by a runaway wagon from the siding.

Pyreneenguy

I had a fantastic one a few nights ago. I ( and I don't know how or why) found a B.R. marroon compartment carriage in the garden !

I was just starting to explore it when my other half gave me a poke in the ribs to stop me snoring !

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had another one last night, I was on a Hastings Diesels Special charter train to Weymouth. (in fact they are running one there next week.) In my dream, for some reason, we had to do the last part of the trip into Weymouth on an old bus. We arrived at supposedly Weymouth railway station, which still had 3 platforms, but was in a very isolated rural setting. There was a service train in that station, a 12 carriage, corridor, old slam door stock that used to run to places like Reading and Guildford etc in Network South East Colours. Some local railway men were saying how great the trains are between Bristol, Dorchester West and Weymouth and better than the Southwest services, being more frequent and moving 20,000 on that line each day!