• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird train-related dreams

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SquireBev

From Brighouse, now in Brum, via Worcester
I'd say a good 25% of my dreams seem to involve waiting for a train. Sometimes it's at an isolated rural station, sometimes a busy interchange. Probably speaks volumes about where my life is heading.

One particularly exciting dream involved the Tube, only it operated more like a rollercoaster, with individual cars, sharp corners, and sudden changes between underground and street level running.

Groningen

Established Member
I have still carry the dream with me, that a train leaves Groningen station, derails and wants to turn around to return to the station.

abn444

I had a weird one the other night where I was on my way back from Bristol and the train came into platform 7 at Reading which is odd as I believe that is a country bound platform and this was a London bound train. Anyway I ended up just missing the Waterloo via Virginia Water and Richmond train in the dream and decided to change my ticket to go via London rather than via Reading. Then there was the second odd thing which was that rather than the ticket office being in a concourse, where it is in reality, you had to exit the station via a small overbridge and there was only a small ticket barrier and the ticket offices, whilst the office for them was inside the building, the actual counter was on the outside of the station.

12CSVT

Established Member
Had a doozy of a rail-related dream last night. I was at some location on a main line in northern Greece, with a party of fellow-railway enthusiasts. Some mysterious but obviously severe mishap down the line, had required numerous steam locos to be taken out of store and used in place of the normal diesel power, on passenger and freight workings passing through the station where we were -- particularly in the evenings. These steam locos were variously from the Greek, Turkish, and Portuguese railways (yes, I know, this last is especially barmy). I knew -- the way one knows things in dreams -- that all this stuff was taking place now, in 2017.

Not so far fetched when you see what Northern have hired to work scheduled service trains next month
http://www.settle-carlisle.co.uk/tornado-on-the-sc/

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had a funny one last night. (I had been out for a meal and drinks in the evening.)

I was on a long overnight journey with a tour group from Germany to London via the Hoek/Harwich Sealink ferry, with many changes en route, some of the trips were with Cross Country Voyger trains over very bumpy track in Europe and part of the trip involved swimming along a downward slopping trav o lator, in some places the rails ran out and we just carried on over the ground! When we arrived back in Waterloo Road, the tour guide gave us all a pullover as a souvenir! and when I got back into work I was told to report to the boss and he gave me a real good telling off in front of the other staff members. Very odd!

AndrewR232

I had a dream last night in which I was on a train from Wigan North Western to Preston. That is not really weird in itself, but:

• This was a "bus replacement rail service" brought in because my bus home broke down, and I live nowhere near WGN or PRE.
  • The platform at WGN looked like that of a typical London Underground deep level tube station.
  • The train was a modified 3-car ScotRail Class 170 DMU with an open top deck, and had a Southern guard.
  • The guard looked like Bob Ross and had no idea where the train was going. If you asked a question such as "Does this train stop at ... ?", he invariably replied "It might."

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one last night, I was on a Great Rail Holiday and they took us into their own platform, in MK1 GWR carriages, in a warehouse behind York Railway Station where there was overnight accommodation in small rooms booked for us, meals were taken in the shower!!, then we went on the same train on a small branch onto the Bo'Ness Railway in Scotland....

Established Member
I had a wierd one the other day-I bumped into an ATW Driver Manager that I knew (I do know a DM, but not at ATW). He told me that he was taking a train from Manchester to Brum and did I want to drive it! (I'm not rail staff in any way). I said yes, he gave me a crash course in the basics and issued a certificate to drive under instruction-the train was a single 153 too...

alxndr

Established Member
I was doing maintenance in my sleep last night. Or was until I realised the loc was in a field and the farmer began chasing us. I think we'd swapped the van for a tractor too.

Groningen

Established Member
Last night i dreamt at i was at the USA/Canadian border. The entry of Canada was like a castle with gate. An electric railwayline came from the south and turned to the left; not crossing the border. And very strange; it had Swiss locomotives!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had another odd one last night. I was on a group tour, the first was to be at a hotel near Brussels Nord, we arrived on Eurostar at Brussels Midi and were looking at the screems to find an onward train, there were two within about 10 mins of each other, one a Eurostar from Platform 3 and the a Dutch Train from Platform Two north bound, all platforms were island style and in a very odd order, all over the place.

Groningen

Established Member
Yesterday i was apparently in Budapest. On exit i say on the right all boxes with messages from/to travellers. On departing of the train it travelled so fast that a revolving door spinned so fast that it created a watertornado/sprout. Yes unbelievable. Also 1 dream ended when my bus crashed into a bankbuilding. That are the "nice" ones.

r37

I had a very strange one the other day.

I was at Marchwood :-? but it was all futuristic-style, with glass platform edge doors, and it was a very busy interchange with over 20 platforms... But then I got on the train and it was a 15-coach (!) 158, but with no windows and when the doors closed it was pitch black inside! So I found a man who I thought was the guard and he looked at me and said "I'm not the guard. Didn't you know the entire network is DOO now?" and then I was trying to get to the driver and I panicked and woke up. :lol:

I have no idea what brought that on!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I had a very strange one the other day.

I was at Marchwood :-? but it was all futuristic-style, with glass platform edge doors, and it was a very busy interchange with over 20 platforms... But then I got on the train and it was a 15-coach (!) 158, but with no windows and when the doors closed it was pitch black inside! So I found a man who I thought was the guard and he looked at me and said "I'm not the guard. Didn't you know the entire network is DOO now?" and then I was trying to get to the driver and I panicked and woke up. :lol:

I have no idea what brought that on!

Very vast differences between the real Marchwood and dream Marchwood..somewhat!

Calthrop

Established Member
A recent odd one, in which I was working in the book trade in a junior position, long ago. There suddenly came about, a huge demand on the part of many of the public, for books / calendars featuring pictures of sweet little narrow-gauge 2-6-2Ts in action (so it was quite likely in 1935, with everyone feeling sad about the closure of the Lynton & Barnstaple; though this was not specified in the dream). I got in trouble for it not being possible to supply anything like as many of the items concerned, as there was demand for.

r37

Very vast differences between the real Marchwood and dream Marchwood..somewhat!

Yes... possibly one of the strangest dreams I've ever had. :lol: Funnily enough, I've had that more than once (where I know I'm at a station but it looks completely different from how it really does)!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was watching yesterday, a very old video by John Betjeman about Metroland, it was very interesting infact.

Then last night I was dreaming about the Metropolitan Railway!

Muzer

Established Member
Just had this one, it's weird as hell but I had to share.

I was with my mum, brother, and The Doctor as portrayed by William Hartnell, about to travel in The Doctor's newly-reconfigured sleeper train. The coaches had mostly glass sides like some tourist train geared for observation. There were two pairs of coaches (both double deck) which within each pair were walk through in the style of S Stock. One pair had a lounge area similar to that of the Caledonian, a short section of brand new 2+2 seating (which, I lamented, had replaced British Rail InterCity first open seating), and the rest was a large bathroom. The other pair had the sleeping areas which were mostly couchette type things. Everything had bright green London Midland style moquettes. Everyone was wondering how The Doctor had managed to reconfigure his train so quickly to have four beds.

We got on and there were quite a few other people onboard too, and set off. There was a really annoying woman onboard. My brother was getting increasingly annoyed at her, until we got to the station, where I got off onto a platform but everyone else climbed down steps at the end corridor connection and walked along a plank laid between there and the buffer stops along the track. My brother decided to change the definition of the word "kill" to mean "throw things at", said "I'm going to kill her" and then threw oranges at the annoying woman.

Calthrop

Established Member
A strange one lately; in that I dreamt that I was watching an established and acclaimed romantic-comedy film from the pre-World War 2 era, with a strong railway flavour. Set on the Great Northern Railway of Ireland in that era (with plenty of footage of that railway’s magnificent blue-liveried locos in action); it concerned attempts by an engineering team of the GNR(I), to develop a revolutionary new type of steam loco for the system’s use; and the love-lives of some members of the team. The youngest of the bunch was in love, in a very not-running-smooth way, with the daughter of the railway’s CME; and there was an older member of the team, an extreme Ulster Protestant called Mr. Stormmeadow -- brilliant, but grouchy and abrupt and hard to work with. A softer side of Mr. S. was shown, in his courtship of a nice widowed English lady living in the locality.

I feel a bit inclined to pitch this idea to various film-makers, as a “period” rom-com -- perhaps make a little money by so doing ! It could be filmed in Ireland, featuring the RPSI’s blue Great Northern 4-4-0...

Railsigns

Established Member
This is a dream I had about a month ago, which remains fresh in my mind:

I was standing beside a narrow-gauge industrial railway line in a rural setting. It was just a straight single line but, from near where I was standing, another track with rails at a wider gauge joined the narrow gauge line at right angles and from this rail 'T junction' it continued into the distance down a steady incline. Immediately, a train arrived on the narrow gauge line, comprising a locomotive (similar in shape to a Class 14) and a rake of mineral wagons. It stopped with the first wagon over the 'T junction' (the precise detail of which was vague) and the locomotive was promptly uncoupled before moving out of view. The first wagon then started to slide sideways down the incline followed by all the others, one by one. I walked over to the incline and saw a cable situated between the two rails, which was now bouncing up and down vigorously as the wagons careered downhill. It was clear that the purpose of this cable was to haul the wagons back up the incline.

For Part 2 of the dream, I was suddenly transported forward in time by some thirty years. Back at the site of the 'T junction', the track had all been lifted and the trackbed was overgrown. I had a look around for anything of interest and found some abandoned equipment but couldn't tell what it had been used for. I followed the route of the narrow gauge railway to a coastal section where the trackbed had completely collapsed into the sea. Another route led inland but into a private estate surrounded by a high fence and gate. A huge black ship was docked nearby. I figured that my only option to get past was to walk around the side of the ship along a precarious ledge, with the aid of a handrail that was too thick to grasp easily. At one place the ledge was missing and I was left dangling from the handrail. A little further on and the handrail and ledge both ran out. It was time to turn back. Dream over.

A Challenge

Established Member
This is one from the night after I did a trip to Goring to walk back to Pangbourne, and I dreamed I was walking somewhere near Reading (not where I'd been walking the day before) and noted down the name of an Crosscountry Voyager 220 220! It doesn't exist, only 220 001 to 220 034!

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had another odd one last night. I was having problems booking the sleeper from Euston to Glasgow, when I had finally got the tickets etc and was shown on to the train, the cabin was like the basement off my first office job in the City of London years ago and even more strange, was that the guard gave us three cricket sweaters to wear saying it was compulsory to do so!

southern442

Established Member
I had one last night that Hounslow was a massive SWT-GWR-LO train and bus interchange. It had 3 platforms and was elevated, with a large concourse. There was also a long and rather dilapidated branch line from Hounslow to somewhere by the Thames a way out of town. There were many stations I had never heard of, including two on a recently-disused branch line that I was keen to investigate (but never did).

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one last night, I was getting a district line train to Wimbledon from Earls Court, but not the one in West London, this one was in East London about where Whitechapel is, it was a bit deeper than the normal district line although partly open and was using deep level tube stock. It was 21 stops to Wimbledon, but was fast from the correct Earls Court in the West!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one last night that Hounslow was a massive SWT-GWR-LO train and bus interchange. It had 3 platforms and was elevated, with a large concourse. There was also a long and rather dilapidated branch line from Hounslow to somewhere by the Thames a way out of town. There were many stations I had never heard of, including two on a recently-disused branch line that I was keen to investigate (but never did).

The first branch you mentioned sounds like the old GWR Brentford line :)

D365

Veteran Member
Can't remember for the life of me what it was, but something to do with various 1983 Stock units...

Envy123

Very weird dreams lately:

-I was taking Heathrow Express but the route ended up being via Finsbury Park and Moorgate (?). I got off at Finsbury Park at 12:15 and went on the next one at 12:30. When I arrived, I was grouped with the Kardashians (?) and after our passports were checked, I was reunited with my mother.

-Oyster was extended from Shenfield to Bury with some seafront terraced homes being popular because of the proximity to Bury station. I rode on the bus which parallels the route, to see where we can live. Mum was looking for me, though.

-I was commuting from a place called iMouth to Woking every day. The station had trains come and go, dangerously close to where I was walking. I left the train at Woking. I remember having difficulties to get a ticket combination for this, as this was regarded as "strange".

One train broke down at New Barnet so I decided to leg it to New Southgate. One route was through a building with broken stairs but I declined to go through it. Another route was through a car parking lot, which was jealously guarded by some black woman with shoulder-length hair. She asked me my intention and I told her that I'm just passing through. She let me go but a part of me thought that she was afraid of the building being destroyed with her beside it.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had one last night, I was at a shabby underground main line station! Looking for a train, when my old Headmaster appeared ordering me to his study and asking were my imposition essay was? and why was I playing truant. Not sure where that came from.

12CSVT

Established Member
I was watching trains at a busy mashalling yard (just as I remember from the 1970s / 1980s), with plenty of class 20s, 31s and 37s present.
Except that all the locos were in liveries only seen since the 2000s, ie class 20s in London Transport, GBRF, 31s in Network Rail, 37s in Europhoenix, West Coast etc. Then right at the end a class 20 appeared in BR blue