• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weirdest Oddities Still on the UK Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishdunster

There used to be (1960s/early 1970s) both a stuffed dog and an aluminium printing machine at Bournemouth Central.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bedpan

Established Member
And another railway swing bridge at Banavie. It’s the only one I eve ever seen opening and closing.

sw1ller

Established Member
Swing bridge at Dee marsh too. No longer in use and the rails are welded.

Welshman

Established Member
Yes, I remember those too. :)

Likewise. :)

Waiting for a train at the old Bradford Exchange station, swinging the big pointer round and pushing down the lever at the side.

On a more sombre note, I remember reading somewhere that they were also used by troops to make identity tags before they set off to fight in WW1.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
None of the aforementioned swing bridges are as odd as the old pedestrian swing bridge at Brockenhurst.

That Corrour and Par have direct services to London, but Huddersfield, Middlesbrough, Blackburn and Bolton don't.

Fiyero

Machines that stamped your name, or whatever you typed in, on a thin aluminium strip for use as an ID tag. Like Dymotape on metal.
Where is one of these? I remember them in an old-time amusement arcade type setup that is long gone in Southampton, never seen one in the wild!

sprunt

None of the aforementioned swing bridges are as odd as the old pedestrian swing bridge at Brockenhurst.

Drifting off-topic, but no discussion of swing bridges (especially unusual ones) is complete without a mention of the Barton Swing Aqueduct, a marvel to compete with any of the wonderful engineering achievements of the railway!

Calam Nelson

Just seen a FGW liveried 150 coupled to a GWR 153 working a service to Blackburn, didn’t catch the numbers.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Stanlow and Thornton is a bit like this, the station is within a refinery and I believe your average pedestrian might well be stopped and questioned if walking to the station. Mind you bearing in mind service levels right now if you were going to give it ago, you need to time it right. !

The station is actually outside the security fence at Stanlow Gate 4. However to reach it you need to go down Oil Sites Road from the Ince end past some rather forbidding "Private Road" signs. There is an unstaffed card operated barrier on Oil Sites Road between Stanlow and Ellesmere Port to stop its use for through traffic. However cars can in principle approach the barrier from either end - and pedestrians and cyclists can cycle/walk through. The barrier was installed about 10 years ago to deter fuel protestors.

Having said all that, I cannot promise that you won't be challenged if you try walk to the station. I was once (at the Ince end) but as soon as the security man realized I was a legitimate passenger with a fairly heavy bag, he gave me a lift to the station.

But, if you like "collecting" stations just for the fun of it, the best advice is to arrive by an Ellesmere Port bound train and leave by the same train on its way back to Helsby or wherever.

frodshamfella

Established Member
The station is actually outside the security fence at Stanlow Gate 4. However to reach it you need to go down Oil Sites Road from the Ince end past some rather forbidding "Private Road" signs. There is an unstaffed card operated barrier on Oil Sites Road between Stanlow and Ellesmere Port to stop its use for through traffic. However cars can in principle approach the barrier from either end - and pedestrians and cyclists can cycle/walk through. The barrier was installed about 10 years ago to deter fuel protestors.

Having said all that, I cannot promise that you won't be challenged if you try walk to the station. I was once (at the Ince end) but as soon as the security man realized I was a legitimate passenger with a fairly heavy bag, he gave me a lift to the station.

But, if you like "collecting" stations just for the fun of it, the best advice is to arrive by an Ellesmere Port bound train and leave by the same train on its way back to Helsby or wherever.

Oh yes I've done that from Helbsy ,just got off, went over footbridge, had a nosey outside, and got next train back !

krus_aragon

Established Member
Where is one of these? I remember them in an old-time amusement arcade type setup that is long gone in Southampton, never seen one in the wild!
I've made use of one at the Rail Museum in York, but that isn't "still on the network".

Last edited:

shaun

Not terminating, but the Central Line at Stratford is between main line tracks - so is pretty much the Greenford situation in reverse. Funnily enough, that's the same tube line as well...

Had forgotten about that, good point. Add to that also the White City 'wrong side' tracks, The Central Line as a whole really is an oddity itself!

A Challenge

Established Member
Had forgotten about that, good point. Add to that also the White City 'wrong side' tracks, The Central Line as a whole really is an oddity itself!
Plus the 20 minute frequency on Woodford to Hainault.

Dai Corner

Established Member
45 minute frequency on the St Albans abbey branch, is this unique?

Well, there's the 15/15/30 minute pattern in the Barry Island branch. The 'missing' train now goes to Bridgend via Llantwit Major instead.

While researching this I noticed that the turnaround time at Barry Island in the WTT is just 3 mins, that in the public timetable is zero minutes and the WTT departure time is one minute after the public departure time.

Last edited:

Esker-pades

Established Member
Well, there's the 15/15/30 minute pattern in the Barry Island branch. The 'missing' train now goes to Bridgend via Llantwit Major instead.

While researching this I noticed that the turnaround time at Barry Island in the WTT is just 3 mins, that in the public timetable is zero minutes and the WTT departure time is one minute after the public departure time.
Transport for Wales seem to like having impossible GBTT public turnaround times. Wrexham Central is another example.

Deafdoggie

Established Member

It isn't accessible by road vehicle, when trains are not running, even the RRB can't get to the station! There is no taxi access. But there is a station car park, which is very underused as a result! There are warning signs on the road (just before the barriers) warning you not to wait or to take photos! Although, in theory, you can walk to the station, it is quite a trek to/from anywhere, and you will attract attention of security. Although they are pleasant enough if you explain and show them a ticket. But, in reality, plan your arrival and departure by train, unless you have business at the site.

bramling

Veteran Member
It isn't accessible by road vehicle, when trains are not running, even the RRB can't get to the station! There is no taxi access. But there is a station car park, which is very underused as a result! There are warning signs on the road (just before the barriers) warning you not to wait or to take photos! Although, in theory, you can walk to the station, it is quite a trek to/from anywhere, and you will attract attention of security. Although they are pleasant enough if you explain and show them a ticket. But, in reality, plan your arrival and departure by train, unless you have business at the site.

I visited by train, which is no real hardship. Presumably same applies at Redcar British Steel now there are slightly more services. Will have to do that some time!

duffield

Established Member
The platform numbers go 1, 2, 12, 11, 10A, 10, 9, 8, 6, 5, 3, 3A, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

10 and 10A serve different tracks and 3 and 3A serve the same track.

Are there any stations appart from Stratford where you need to cross tracks via a bridge or subway to get from platform X to platform Xa (or Xb etc.)?

Status
Not open for further replies.